Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Beane
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I will be in Austin this weekend with my BiL (I live in Dallas and he's down from Ohio for job training) and I'm trying to find out if anything is going on, gaming-wise.

I see that Great Hall games has open boardgaming on Saturdays according to their website. Does this still go? And that's all I could find...anything else on Saturday? What about Sunday?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HI,Kevin!

There is always something going on at GHG on Saturday and there is usually a good sized group there playing a variety of wargames, euros, and even miniatures.

You can join the Central Texas Historical Gamers yahoo group and send an email, if you want to list or ask about specific games planned for this weekend.

Sundays at GHG has been traditionally a miniatures day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunday is gaming at Rockin' Tomato Pizza with the South Austin Game Night group. http://www.servingfoodthatrocks.com/ Play starts at 2PM.

In my experience Fridays at Great Hall are better attended than Saturdays, and Tuesdays at Rockin' Tomato are better attended than Sundays, but you'll find board gamers both places both days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am 90% certain I will be at GHG this Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Kevin. I've got a bunch of games going this weekend. What sort of titles are you interested in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole, are you going to have Virgin Queen going during Boardgame Bash?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Beane
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, I love the geek. So many great replies in just an hour and a half.

I'm down to play anything mentioned so far, except perhaps for miniatures.

I like mostly everything, I guess not-absurdly-heavy Euros the most. Card games and abstract strategy are up there as well, in addition to filler-y fun Ameritrash.

If this sounds vague it's because I'm still in my gamer infancy. I went to Origins a few years ago and had a blast, played a few games with my gamer neighbor, and just went to a Dallas boardgame night for the first time last night.

This means I've played a lot of the BGG standards once (Small Worlds, Citadels [really liked both], Carcasonne, Puerto Rico, Agricola, and Union Pacific at Origins [liked UP the best] Pret-a-Porter last night (that was the heaviest game I have ever played), and a ton of Settlers as well a 6 Nimmt! online. This is my way of saying I have a decent knowledge of the Game Geek world but I will need taught almost anything we play.

Also need to find out what my BiL likes, of course...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
Cole, are you going to have Virgin Queen going during Boardgame Bash?

I'm planning on doing one soon (as well as a game of Lords of the Sierra Madre), but I'll be at a conference that week/weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Grabert
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Central Texas' biggest board game convention! www.boardgamebash.com
badge
Board Game Bash; Austin, TX; Aug 12/14, 2016; www.boardgamebash.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Kevin! Let's get you set up here in Austin this weekend. There's no shortage of gaming.

I organize South Austin Game Night. We play at Rockin' Tomato on S. Lamar twice a week. On Tuesdays, we go from 6 to 11 PM, and have a great crowd (we're there with Boards and Brews on Tuesdays, a Meetup group of fellow board gamers). On a given Tuesday, there's between 30 and 40 of us there. We also play on Sundays from 2 PM until people decide to leave. That's a much smaller crowd, usually just about 8 folks, but it's still a lot of fun, and we're generally up for anything.

Here's SAGN's Meetup page:
http://www.meetup.com/South-Austin-Game-Night/

Austin's pretty awesome, and I'm sure you'll have a great visit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Beane
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone, my BiL and I had a great time at Great Hall Games, where we learned and played King of Tokyo, Blood Bowl, and Dominant Species (although I guess we played a quick play variant, since it doesn't match the boards I see on the geek). I couldn't make it to the Rockin' Tomato one, as my BiL's new buddies had a game session at their house, where I learned and played Game of Thrones and Bang!

Everyone at Great Hall was welcoming, friendly and funny. Huge, huge kudos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.