Subject: Interesting historical sites near Lindstow in NE Germany? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
We are going to north-eastern Germany in the Holidays next week, so I just wanted to hear, if anyone could recommend any particualrly interesting historical sites in the immediate area? We will be living in the Lindstow resort, which is ~150km north of Berlin.

Apart from all the historical Hansa-cities which we toured some years ago, the only site I can think of is the Peenemünde rocket site from WW2.
Unfortunately that is a ~200km (2 hours+) drive from the resort so it will be difficult to sell to the wife and 3 small kids soblue
(website here if interested: www.peenemuende.de)

Is there anything closer worth visiting?

Obviously FLGS's in the area are also of interest.

Thanks in advance! // Vielen Dank im Voraus

[crossposted in the wargames forum]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long you there for?
We are going to Feldberg a little way east of you in August for 2 weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its water sports territory mainly. A canoe and lake bathing paradise. Great fishing. A lot of the towns have interesting churches, medieval walls, and small museums. There is Ravensbruck concentration camp if you have a mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From a wargamer's historical point of view, there wasn't much to see in the immediate vicinity of Lindstow. We took a trip to Rostock one day (½ hour by car or so) and there were some interesting sights. Mainly city walls and a statue of Blücher, (Prussian army officer from the Napoleonic Wars).

Thanks for your input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A pleasure. We have been to Weggun near Feldberg for the last two years running, and go again this Friday. Maybe I will take the trip to Peenemunde.
Any gamers living in the neighbourhood of Feldberg?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From a military history point of view the most interesting thing we saw on the trip was the von Blücher statue in Rostock. I took a few pictures:

My two oldest kids abandoning their posts in front of the von Blücher statue in Rostock

My two oldest kids checking out the dramatic battle scene on the side of the von Blücher statue

An overview of the entire battle scene on the von Blücher statue in Rosktock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.