Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Prewitt
United States
Rolling Meadows
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess we may not know this yet, but for those that saw this at last year's GenCon, will the miniatures from Starship Battles, the set Wizards came out with in the middle of their run of Miniatures series, be modifiable to use here? I have a full set of those miniatures, and I'm curious if these could have any use to add to a set of the X-Wing game (combining the X-Wing cards with miniatures from that set).

I'm interested in getting the core set when it comes out as well as a set of the boosters, but am curious how expensive this game is going to be to really play it like it's meant to be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It should work.
Since the base of Starship Battles is round, you can´t attach those movement rulers as good as on a square base, but that should only be a minor issue.
Also, you got a 90 degree front arc on the Wizards models for firing, so I don´t see why it shouldn´t work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I'm more interested in scale between the two. Anyone have some ships from Starship Battles and play the prototype that can comment on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious about this too. anyone know about the scale?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't the ships from X-Wing close to the Wings of War/Glory figures? The ships in SSB were not all of the same scale, and FFG's previews have mentioned how they decided to re-size one of their ships so that they were all of the same scale. That would make some capital ships from the series bigger than most game stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think they plan to make capital ships for this game since I believe x-wing will be strictly fighter combat. could you imagine the size of the deathstar if they were going to build one to scale? the expansions seem incredibly expensive, $15 each? sheesh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hancock
Australia
Birkdale
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
It should work.
Since the base of Starship Battles is round, you can´t attach those movement rulers as good as on a square base, but that should only be a minor issue.
Al

Get some 25mm square bases from Games Workshop or some other miniature game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesús Chacón
Spain
Cordoba
Cordoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally, are they compatible? At least to play at home, of course. Or with some modifications...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
The scale is definitely noticeably different, enough that it would bother me, but not enough that I couldn't see someone else not being bothered by it.

The discrepancy in the quality of the miniatures, however, would drive me crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rueco wrote:
Finally, are they compatible? At least to play at home, of course. Or with some modifications...

Short answer... no.

Long answer, the problem is mainly the base, you would need a square 40 mm base for each ship, with the firing arc as well, within the right proportions.

The minis are also considerably smaller, and of less quality than those of Star Wars: X-Wing. But it's not the ship's size that matters to the game, but really the base. You WILL need at least a core set, and most likely a single copy of all the expansions to get all the available pilots/upgrades, the movement templates, the miscellenious tokens, etc...

You will also need to make custom movement wheels and tokens for those minis. (they are all included with every expansion)

Everything considered, it will require quite some efforts (and some material) to use thoses minis in the game. Considering the cost of the materials and efforts needed, I'm not sure it's worth it.

I have a reasonable-sized Starship Battle collection, but for regular (read: current minis), I doubt that it's worth the effort. However, for special (or not currently produced) ships, it may be fun. You'd have to create everything from scratch (including pilots), but when the ship is produced by FFG, you may end up with a ship that is completely different from the official one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aljovin wrote:
Rueco wrote:

Everything considered, it will require quite some efforts (and some material) to use thoses minis in the game. Considering the cost of the materials and efforts needed, I'm not sure it's worth it.

I was able to do it, but I would agree that it does take some initial effort, but it was worth it. Also, I did buy the core set with one of each expansion, but now I have an unending supply of ships to use. What I did was use some 40mm bases that I already had, which had firing arcs etched in them already (corsec bases) and instead of using the maneuver dials, we just wrote down our moves (not quite as fun as the dial but functional). But after my first game, I've created my own bases to attach to the flight stands and made my own dials. So, it is doable but it did take some time, resources, and creativity.

So if you think about it, I've saved quite a bit of money. I sold off my X-Wing Game miniatures so what I paid was only about $10 for 2 core sets and 1 of each of the 4 expansion (minus the miniatures of course). However, I'm able to field 4 X-Wings, 5 Y-Wings, 4 TIE Advanced, and 8 TIE Fighters. I also have an imperial shuttle to use for the first scenario and also have a Millennium Falcon, Slave I, A-Wings, and TIE Interceptors to use with the future expansions. And actually more, but this was the max if I played 100 point games. What this would've cost if I bought the real ships?

2 core sets - $50
2 X-Wings - $20
4 TIE fighters - $40
4 TIE Advanced - $40
5 Y-Wings - $50

Total of $200 based on online prices, and even more if you paid retail.
Was it worth it? To me it was. I only play at home so it doesn't bug me about the size or quality. I also had fun creating the dials and bases but this is because I have a graphic design background, so it was a fun project to put something nice together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.