Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
So Deutsche Marks says that the Democrat "gives" the Communist his highest ops card, but unless I'm mistaken what actually happen is the Democrat *discards* his highest value ops card and the soviet player gets the benefit (ops or event if Communist). The event is of course discarded if executed (and asterisked).

"Gives" makes it sound like the card goes into the communist player's hand (and there is some other event where the Democrat must "discard" a random card where the event takes place if it is Communist), so I wasn't sure if there was a reason for the language discrepancy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
So Deutsche Marks says that the Democrat "gives" the Communist his highest ops card, but unless I'm mistaken what actually happen is the Democrat *discards* his highest value ops card and the soviet player gets the benefit (ops or event if Communist). The event is of course discarded if executed (and asterisked).

"Gives" makes it sound like the card goes into the communist player's hand (and there is some other event where the Democrat must "discard" a random card where the event takes place if it is Communist), so I wasn't sure if there was a reason for the language discrepancy.

No the card received from the Democrat's hand is not immediately discarded. Rather, if the card is a Communist event, the event takes place immediately. The Communist cannot choose to forego the event and use the Ops instead. This means the Democrat can sometimes play D Marks for Ops and give the Communist event like Stasi that will be harmless at the end of the Turn. If the event is neutral or Democratic, the Communist gets to use the card for its Ops value, and the event is not triggered. So this can be very powerful. For instance the Communist uses D Marks, and the Democrat's only 4 Ops event is Solidarity Legalized. The Communist takes the card and gets 4 Ops without triggering the Solidarity event. So it is a great card for either player to draw. It usually is not a card that causes hand management angst for the Democrat because he can plan his hand to give the Communist a weak card or harmless event at the end of the Turn. For the Communist using the 4 Ops instead of the event is tempting, just hoping you draw it again when it cycles through the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I don't think I did a good job of phrasing my question. So, Democrat hands Communist a card:

1. If it is a Communist event it takes place immediately and then the card is discarded/removed from play or it goes into the Communist players hand?

2. If it is not a Communist event, the Communist immediately gets the ops the spend and then the card is discarded or is it put into the Communist players hand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card is discarded/removed, just as if it had been played. I agree the terminology is not consistent with other card text, but there is really no instance in which a card is played without being discarded/removed, so we can assume that if that were the case here, the card would specify as much.

The sequence is: Democrat gives Communist the card, then Communist immediately plays the card, either as an event, if Communist, or for Ops without triggering the event, if Democrat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK thanks. That's what I thought (and it's consistent with how a similar card - 5 Year Plan I think - works in Twilight struggle). I was just hung up on the give/discard terminology discrepancy cuz I'm a writer and I get hung up on stuff like that.

Damn I'm excited to play this. I've got it set up, I've taught my wife the rules (not too hard as she already knows Twilight Struggle) but now she's too tired (I shouldn't complain too much as she is growing a human being inside her).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. If it is a Communist event it takes place immediately and then the card is discarded/removed from play or it goes into the Communist players hand?

discard pile/removed from play. Not into the player's hand.

Quote:
2. If it is not a Communist event, the Communist immediately gets the ops the spend and then the card is discarded or is it put into the Communist players hand?

discard pile. Not into the player's hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferro Ostil
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This just came up in a game, where the Democrat held Deutsche Marks. Is this sequence right?

1. Dem plays Deutsche Marks, elects to trigger event first.
2. Dem gives Com player his highest-ops non-scoring card.
3. Com implements event of the card he just received (if Com event) or plays the card for ops (if neutral or Dem event). The card is removed (if Com event), discarded (if neutral or Dem event).
4. Dem player than plays Deutsche Marks for its 4 ops. Deutsche Marks is then removed.

TIA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Wigdor
United States
Lake Hiawatha
New Jersey
flag msg tools
That's correct, Ferro, but for completeness, I'd change the second sentence in 3 to:

The card is removed (if Com starred event), or discarded (if neutral, Dem event, or non-starred Communist event).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferro Ostil
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! And thanks for clarifying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.