Recommend
40 
 Thumb up
 Hide
52 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Press Releases

Subject: Dice Tower Award Winners Announced rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Press Release:

The Dice Tower Awards have been announced for the best games of 2011.

A jury of forty prominent gamers, podcasters, and bloggers voted in fourteen different categories. The winners were as follows:

Game of the Year: Eclipse
Best Family Game: King of Tokyo
Best New Game Designer: Kevin Lanzing (Flash Point: Fire Rescue)
Best Game Reprint: Confusion: Espionage and Betrayal in the Cold War
Best Production Values: Mansions of Madness
Best Small Publisher: Indie Boards and Cards(Flash Point: Fire Rescue)
Best Party Game: Dixit Odyssey
Best Game Expansion: Summoner Wars: Master Set
Most Innovative Game: Risk Legacy
Best Game Artwork: The Lord of the Rings: the Card Game
Best War Game: A Few Acres of Snow
Best Game Theme: Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Best Digital Board Game: Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer
Hall of Fame Inductees: Lord of the Rings, Yahtzee, Werewolf

A full list of the nominees and winners can be found at the Dice Tower website, www.dicetowerawards.com
You can also hear the winners announced and interviews with the winners on a special Dice Tower Network Podcast.

The Dice Tower Awards are in their fifth year, and consistently look for the best board and card games released in the calendar year. This year, a special dice tower trophy will be awarded to each of the winners - a tradition we hope to continue as time goes by.

For more information about the awards, or to apply to be on the jury, email tomvasel@gmail.com
34 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It kills me that a "master set" is an expansion.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A Few Acres of Snow
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you pick Eclipse as Game of the Year and A Few Acres of Snow as the best Wargame it shows you haven't played many games this year.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea how it happened, but the expansions were last years nominees. Everything else was correct, that segment was incorrect. My apologies, I'll see if I can get it fixed.

Dan, I apologize that our games don't match your picks, but I promise you, I played PLENTY of games last year.
34 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hrmm

I think his comment was directed at the voters.

Perhaps Eclipse is correct , but absolutely not AFAOS..
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo! thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, it's not just you. The others polled were probably euro gamers. For best Wargame you need more wargames in the mix. No Retreat is a MUCH better Wargame than AFAOS.

AFAoS is a broken game by it's designers admission and Eclipse is dropping far after people get to know it. If this list is about the most talked about it's ok.

GMT's Space Empires 4X is a much better Space and Wargame than either of the winners.

Just my opinion.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
It kills me that a "master set" is an expansion.


It follows a Heroscape mindset in that the "Master Set" offers new options to what already was there. Much like Swarm of the Marro added in a bunch of new units and terrain to the previous waves and master set.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
These awards are FAR MORE in line with my sensibilities than any other board-game awards that I have seen posted here to BGG. I'm now anxious to try some of the games on this list that I haven't had the chance to... not to mention checking out previous year's recipients. Thanks for posting this.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MeGusta wrote:
Phlegm wrote:
When you pick Eclipse as Game of the Year and A Few Acres of Snow as the best Wargame it shows you haven't played many games this year.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that Tom Vasel played more games than you last year.


I'd be willing to take that bet. I do a lot of gaming. I've played every game on this list. But I've never gamed with Tom.

He's got to come to the WBC one of these years. We could get into a nice game of Duel of Ages (with all the expansions of course.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Storzillo
United States
Wayne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with Eclipse as Game of the Year. A Few Acres of Snow though....

You need to poll more wargamers Tom. Our Jersey Association of Gamers group (Jerseygamers.com) in northern NJ would be a good sample of wargamers if you ever wanted to poll for next years awards.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After listening to the podcast, I think 'Snow would do better to have been nominated for Most Innovative over winning Best War Game, at least given the reasons that Geoff Englestein gave in his description.

It's a borderline crime that No Retreat was not nominated, but I'm not a "war gamer"... whatever the heck that means.

That's my only real "critique" that I am confident in. I just disagree with the rest of the choices, but what else is new devil

I hope this doesn't sound super bitter/critical. Reading it back, this stuff always comes across that way. Cursed internet/text.

-edit-

Almost forgot. I have a problem with an award called "Best Family Game". What family? With or without children? Which culture? I'm just playing devil's advocate there though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Builder should have been somewhere on this list. I tried.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Phlegm wrote:
and Eclipse is dropping far after people get to know it. If this list is about the most talked about it's ok.


Yep, it dropped out of #6 overall a week or so ago to #...oh wait, it actuall raised up to #5.

How can a game that rose to #5 overall on BGG with thousands of votes not win game of the year? Seriously, because some people you talked to don't like it as much anymore you think it's "dropping far"?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SlikkRikk wrote:
Kingdom Builder should have been somewhere on this list. I tried.

Most over rated? Like the game but awards....lol...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Phlegm wrote:
Tom, it's not just you. The others polled were probably euro gamers. For best Wargame you need more wargames in the mix. No Retreat is a MUCH better Wargame than AFAOS.

AFAoS is a broken game by it's designers admission and Eclipse is dropping far after people get to know it. If this list is about the most talked about it's ok.

GMT's Space Empires 4X is a much better Space and Wargame than either of the winners.

Just my opinion.


I think Eclipse is over hyped but dropping far? So rank 5 is dropping far? 8.36 is a bad score? Perhaps hyperbole?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George J. Wendt
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
This is my dog, Pothier, but everyone calls him Potes.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
I have no idea how it happened, but the expansions were last years nominees. Everything else was correct, that segment was incorrect. My apologies, I'll see if I can get it fixed.

Dan, I apologize that our games don't match your picks, but I promise you, I played PLENTY of games last year.


Psshh Videos or it didn't happen. Just kidding.

I disagree with one of the picks (Eclipse) but can see it. Good choices.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup Congratulations Kevin!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I call foul! I don't believe Tom chose Eclipse to be the game of the year. His taste in games is so poor, I don't believe he would have chosen such a wonderful gem as Eclipse. FESS UP TOM, what do you really think is the game of the year???
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Phlegm wrote:
When you pick Eclipse as Game of the Year and A Few Acres of Snow as the best Wargame it shows you haven't played many games this year.
I am guessing that Tom Vasel and the other 39 folks who voted played quite a significant number of games!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
MWChapel wrote:
I call foul! I don't believe Tom chose Eclipse to be the game of the year. His taste in games is so poor, I don't believe he would have chosen such a wonderful gem as Eclipse. FESS UP TOM, what do you really think is the game of the year???
Remember that these were not Tom's personal choices, but a panel of about 40 people who played and voted. (Disclaimer: I was not one of the voters)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
framebrain wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
I call foul! I don't believe Tom chose Eclipse to be the game of the year. His taste in games is so poor, I don't believe he would have chosen such a wonderful gem as Eclipse. FESS UP TOM, what do you really think is the game of the year???
Remember that these were not Tom's personal choices, but a panel of about 40 people who played and voted. (Disclaimer: I was not one of the voters)


Yes, I know. I even know half the dinosaurs on that list, personally. And yes I know you weren't one of them, because I don't know you.

But I still would like to know what game Tom really thought was game of the year.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
MWChapel wrote:
framebrain wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
I call foul! I don't believe Tom chose Eclipse to be the game of the year. His taste in games is so poor, I don't believe he would have chosen such a wonderful gem as Eclipse. FESS UP TOM, what do you really think is the game of the year???
Remember that these were not Tom's personal choices, but a panel of about 40 people who played and voted. (Disclaimer: I was not one of the voters)


Yes, I know. I even know half the dinosaurs on that list, personally. And yes I know you weren't one of them, because I don't know you.

But I still would like to know what game Tom really thought was game of the year.


He'll probably tell us on the podcast

I forgot the list of voters was published and should have checked before making my disclaimer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
MWChapel wrote:
FESS UP TOM, what do you really think is the game of the year???


Hawaii
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.