Albert
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've never played a LCG before, and I'm a fan of cooperative games as my partner and I like spending evenings working together on a board game.

Once I start building decks using the expansion cards, will the older/core set scenarios become obsolete and no longer challenging?

If so, does that mean I should restrict deck building to only cards up until a certain set for scenarios in older expansions to keep the difficulty level high?

What are people's thoughts on this.

(ex. I buy the core set and 3 expansions, will a deck using all the cards available make all the core set scenarios a cake-walk?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBurd wrote:

Once I start building decks using the expansion cards, will the older/core set scenarios become obsolete and no longer challenging?

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't found that. The only reason we haven't played the core scenarios in a while is because we're trying to play all the other ones. However, we did repeat the Anduin one once with a custom built deck and it was just as fun and challenging (probably more fun since we got the customization part of the game) as with the "core" sets.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that the game has gotten a bit easier to win overall as more player cards come out, but only a little bit. The early quests are still fun and challenging to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Russo
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
shnar wrote:
I haven't found that. The only reason we haven't played the core scenarios in a while is because we're trying to play all the other ones. However, we did repeat the Anduin one once with a custom built deck and it was just as fun and challenging (probably more fun since we got the customization part of the game) as with the "core" sets.

-shnar

I'm a little confused by these answers. How is it that you can customize your deck to better suit a particular type of quest, and it doesn't get easier? Does this mean that the difficulty of the quests are largely determined by card draw (in the encounter deck) and there is a limited amount you can do to combat that?

Can you give any additional details as to why they are still difficult?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Jennings
United States
El Cerrito
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that the older quests have gotten easier if you build a really powerful dedicated deck, but they certainly haven't become a cakewalk yet. There are some powerful cards in the expansions, but so far the strongest cards are mostly in the core set, so the power level hasn't ramped up a lot.

The main thing you can do now with the expansions is build different kinds of decks. I have a couple of dwarf decks focused mostly on the new expansions that are pretty successful, but since there are so many cards I've been having a good time making different decks and running them through the quests. With only the core set, there are only so many different strategies you can pursue that make sense, but with the expansions there are more ways to go about it. For reference, I have all the sets to date and have been playing since the core came out, and I replayed two of the core scenarios just last week with a new deck. Believe me when I say, it wasn't a cakewalk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
el_chupacabra wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

I'm a little confused by these answers. How is it that you can customize your deck to better suit a particular type of quest, and it doesn't get easier? Does this mean that the difficulty of the quests are largely determined by card draw (in the encounter deck) and there is a limited amount you can do to combat that?

Can you give any additional details as to why they are still difficult?

I didn't say it wasn't easier, I said it was still fun and challenging. The whole challenge in a card game like this is the random element of the unknown. In the Journey Down The Anduin one, you could get slapped with the second cave troll before you kill the first, making it very challenged no matter how specialized your deck is. If anything, in a custom deck you have 50 cards instead of 20 (?) and so the cards you put in for certain situations could never show up (I have yet to play a game where I went through my whole deck). If you're stuck with 7 locations in the staging area and still haven't found those bloody Northern Rangers, you may just lose the game.

So it's still challenging. It might be easier but still a challenge, and definitely fun!

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Yes sure is 100% much more easier play against old quest with new player cards. Specially with new Glorifindel which allow you to build up crazy powerful player decks. Only 1 think to avoid it just ignore some cards when you build up your decks. in my opinion i never use Beravur, Will of the west and some other powerful cards which make game more easy. If you do this yes old quests will still have challenge. Look on this deck which build up with a new player cards. Easy beat all scenarios even the great MIO. I make it but is not fun to use it cose game is no really challenge then.
Total Cards (50)

Hero (3)
Aragorn (Core) x1
Denethor (Core) x1
Glorfindel (FoS) x1

Ally (13)
Arwen Undomiel (TWitW) x1
Gildor Inglorion (THoEM) x1
Gleowine (Core) x2
Haldir of Lorien (AJtR) x2
Snowbourn Scout (Core) x2
The Riddermark's Finest (THoEM) x2
Gandalf (Core) x3

Attachment (23)
A Burning Brand (CatC) x2
Asfaloth (FoS) x2
Celebrian's Stone (Core) x2
Dunedain Mark (THfG) x2
Healing Herbs (FoS) x3
Light of Valinor (FoS) x3
Protector of Lorien (Core) x2
Unexpected Courage (Core) x2
Steward of Gondor (Core) x3
Sword that was Broken (TWitW) x2

Event (14)
A Test of Will (Core) x3
Daeron's Runes (FoS) x3
Elrond's Counsel (TWitW) x3
Sneak Attack (Core) x3
The Galadhrim's Greeting (Core) x2,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for everyone's thoughts and replies on this! I'll me sure to keep a few select cards on the side, but it seems like majority of it is still fine for all scenarios.

I'm super excited to try this game out! =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oleg's deck seems very powerful, but I guess you will need 2 core set for that. So probably if you want to buy only 1 core set, remove around 6 unavailable cards and put :
Forest Snare x2 (very handy in Anduin quest, and also later)
Will of The West x1
Northern Tracker x2

and one more of your choice, could be Fortune of Fate x1 to resurrect dead hero, or probably Dwarven Tomb x1 to retrieve a discarded spirit card

and for some deck variants, you could try Theodred instead of Aragorn to pump up more resources while questing but need to replace some Aragorn cards to suit the new character

or maybe a harder deck to play, use Bilbo instead of Denethor, he's weak but draw 2 cards, so you'll have a larger option early. I tried Theodred - Bilbo - new Glorfindel yesterday and successfully get past Journey Down to Anduin pretty easy, because the threat is so low and many threat reducers around

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nightrain wrote:
Oleg's deck seems very powerful, but I guess you will need 2 core set for that.

I've always kind of wondered why the core set doesn't have 3 copies of every card. Some highly useful cards only have one or two cards, and so to create the deck I really want, I'd have to buy another core set just for a small handful of cards. Seems odd. I wonder if FFG would considering selling individual cards.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric cartman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

I've always kind of wondered why the core set doesn't have 3 copies of every card....

Marketing ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I've always kind of wondered why the core set doesn't have 3 copies of every card. Some highly useful cards only have one or two cards, and so to create the deck I really want, I'd have to buy another core set just for a small handful of cards. Seems odd. I wonder if FFG would considering selling individual cards.

-shnar

This has been thoroughly discussed on these boards, but fwiw the ffg answer is that they picked a price point for the core set, that gave them a number of cards they could include. Then they have to choose between a wider variety of cards which gives a better out of the box experience for new players or a 3x set which presents a less interesting game at first but which ends up being a better value for players who take up the game seriously. They chose the former.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
camipco wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

This has been thoroughly discussed on these boards, but fwiw the ffg answer is that they picked a price point for the core set, that gave them a number of cards they could include. Then they have to choose between a wider variety of cards which gives a better out of the box experience for new players or a 3x set which presents a less interesting game at first but which ends up being a better value for players who take up the game seriously. They chose the former.

It's not necessarily the odd number of cards that I don't like, it's that I have to buy a whole second set to create the decks I'm considering. If FFG offered a way to "complete" the core set, I'd pick that up in a heartbeat.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Nightrain wrote:
Oleg's deck seems very powerful, but I guess you will need 2 core set for that.

-shnar
This seems to be pretty obvious.

The reason that there were not 3 copies of each card is almost certainly, as FFG have said, that the core set would have been too big and expensive. Though, to be honest, the cost of cards is not really that much.

The reason there are 1 of some cards, 2 of others, and 3 of others still, is almost certainly gouging, though - trying to get people to buy even more core sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBurd wrote:

They will be less challenging, but especially the Dol Guldur scenario from the core set should continue to be a challenge.

If you end up having all the sets and think that some of the quests become to easy, then you can make less than optimal decks to increase the challenge. I'm doing that at the moment, because I prefer to loose more often than I win (I have all the currently released expansions and one core set).

TheBurd wrote:
If so, does that mean I should restrict deck building to only cards up until a certain set for scenarios in older expansions to keep the difficulty level high?

If you want to limit yourself then I would rather restrict myself to a certain theme than to core+certain expansions.

TheBurd wrote:
(ex. I buy the core set and 3 expansions, will a deck using all the cards available make all the core set scenarios a cake-walk?)

With 3 of the Mirkwood expansions only the first core scenario will be a cakewalk, the two others should still pose a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So after about 30 plays with my partner we're a bit let down by the difficulty. We're going to try the nightmare mode and hopefully that supplies the challenge we need. I did not expect that I would think this would be too easy of a game before I bought it, but right now we'd turn to Pandemic for a more intense game....>_<

I play a supportive, low threat, monster evasive spirit/lore deck, and my partner plays a heavy hitting, moster slaughtering tactics/leadership deck. Both are at 40 cards using only 1 core set and THFG. For the big mosters people normally have problems with on the forum, I either forest snare or bounce them back to the stage using a spirit event or my partner feints them or quick strikes them before they can do anything. Questing is straight forward once I get at least one Northern Trackers down, I usually rush some card drawing to find them asap.

I feel like we barely spent any time deckbuilding and the game hasn't really done anyting to challenge us too much.

The few times we lost were due to an unsucessful initial questing phase which snowballed out of control since we need time to get the threat on the stage down without trackers.....

Any suggestions on how to make the game more difficult? We don't even use Gandalf for anything....But we're considering to put one in each deck for the nightmare mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBurd wrote:

Any suggestions on how to make the game more difficult? We don't even use Gandalf for anything....But we're considering to put one in each deck for the nightmare mode.

I would recommend you try upping your deck size to a minimum of 50 cards as per the "tournament rules". This will dilute your deck and make it slightly less reliable, but I believe a lot of people use the 50 card minimum as a standard and try to adhere to it (at least on this site it seems).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for that suggestion, we'll try that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.