Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Malkowski
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that FFG released a definitive FAQ for the second edition of Descent...where is ours? Many have been patiently waiting for this for years...I guess the loyal fans of Arkham have been relegated to the back of the bus once again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keithm wrote:
I noticed that FFG released a definitive FAQ for the second edition of Descent...where is ours? Many have been patiently waiting for this for years...I guess the loyal fans of Arkham have been relagated to the back of the bus once again...
I guess the reason is that there isn't an Arkham Horror 2.0 to make a business case for creating an FAQ. The standard of support that BGG community provides is so high that it (almost) makes an FAQ redundant. However, there are still some intractables outstanding that it would be great to have resolved. Plus it's a heck of a lot quicker and more convenient to refer to a printed FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Malkowski
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MC:

I agree, the BGG community covers the majority of game play issues however there are some issues that still require an official clarification. Said clarifications need to be divided by expansion as this will be the most useful during gameplay. It's not like were asking for this 3 months after the games initial release....it's going on 8 years!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interestingly, Keith, the various fora (both FFG's and BGG's site) serve ostensibly as a FAQ. Also, check-out AH Wiki, as many Arkhamites, including me, have updated it to reflect what the majority of individuals have chosen as the way to play when faced with a particular card combination.

Maybe, as one of my Kickstarter Rewards, I'll have individuals submit their top 10 items and I'll provide a nicely crafted FAQ...Hmmm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="keithm"]I noticed that FFG released a definitive FAQ for the second edition of Descent...where is ours? Many have been patiently waiting for this for years...I guess the loyal fans of Arkham have been relegated to the back of the bus once again...[/q
You will never get a definitive until the game is out of print.
There is an existing faq so the title of the thread is not only grammatically misleading but also misleading in the lack of detail about what faq is missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@ The Professor Yes, there a number of onlince resources available, of that there is no doubt. The problem with these online resources is that they are online. Not everyone has Internet access while they are playing the game, neither do they necessarily want to spend the time searching through unstructured information and weighing up the multiple results. A printed (official) FAQ, properly indexed, would be a more universally useful resource (language issues aside) - but I don't fancy your chances of FFG letting you KS one.

@ corkysru this is a community support forum, not an English language class; there's really no need for that sort of response. I think we all understand what the OP is asking; besides, people in glass houses....
I happen to believe that the existing FAQs are insufficient for the task; there are a number of people in this community who have confidence that creating an updated FAQ is a worthwhile task and have been working with FFG to produce one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortunately, mccrispy, FFG has no more control over the AH Wiki than they would a .pdf Word.doc of our responses...of course, I would never try to sell a FAQ...that's just wrong.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Fortunately, mccrispy, FFG has no more control over the AH Wiki than they would a .pdf Word.doc of our responses...of course, I would never try to sell a FAQ...that's just wrong.cool
I'd be surprised if FFG didn't have more control over the AHW than over a compilation of "responses". By this I mean that much of the AHW is copies of copyrighted text and images, whereas a user-compiled FAQ need not necessarily contain such material. I suspect that FFG merely chooses not to exercise its copyright wrt AHW.

All in all it's a shame that the dropped-off-the-radar FAQ didn't make it into MH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a comprehensive list of just the rulings/clarifications that contradict the FAQ? I'd like to use the FAQ thread at FFG, but I understand that even THAT has some errors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Opinions in forums from players are interesting and often helpful, but no substitute for an official FAQ.

Some of the official answers by email from FFG have been contradictory.

I can only hope an updated and full Arkham Horror FAQ will appear at some point, as the existing one is way out of date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I feel like I'm crazy but hasn't there been one "in the works" for years? Personally agree it is desperately needed. BGG is great but you need official rulings on some of these things, as well as a central source for how to play the game correctly. And I say this purely out of love for the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
I feel like I'm crazy but hasn't there been one "in the works" for years?
Hence my reference
mccrispy wrote:
All in all it's a shame that the dropped-off-the-radar FAQ didn't make it into MH
It was never really on the cards, but much of the work has - apparently - been done, FFG just seem to lack the will to go the final 10 yards. However, others on this forum are more qualified than I to comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah based on what people are saying about just how much was already completed, it seems a bit unfortunate to leave it unpublished for so long. I mean it's not like the first FAQ was some masterstroke requiring intense work both on substantive content and art. It was just a useful guide and the game could use an updated one. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:
Opinions in forums from players are interesting and often helpful, but no substitute for an official FAQ.

I can only hope an updated and full Arkham Horror FAQ will appear at some point, as the existing one is way out of date.

There are a couple posters here whose opinion would be as meaningful to me as an official ruling until the FAQ eventually (maybe) appears. In the name of utility, I'd like to come up with a next-best-thing.

Is there a place that the contradictory or controversial rulings are itemized? It would be nice to at least know what all those issues are before tackling the FAQ as gospel. If nothing else, I can form my own opinion without being confused later by contradictory "official" information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
nickbolton wrote:

There are a couple posters here whose opinion would be as meaningful to me as an official ruling until the FAQ eventually (maybe) appears. In the name of utility, I'd like to come up with a next-best-thing.

Is there a place that the contradictory or controversial rulings are itemized? It would be nice to at least know what all those issues are before tackling the FAQ as gospel. If nothing else, I can form my own opinion without being confused later by contradictory "official" information.
Though am not one of the posters to whom you refer, I have been considering (and have done a small amount of work on) a GeekList-based Arkham Horror FAQ. I would be happy to put the work in to turn it into something useful to the community - either as a GeekList or as a bunch of Wiki pages.

I know that considerable investment has been made in the Arkham Horror Wiki by members of this and other communities; I don't want to duplicate that work, it's really great at adding clarifications to individual items. We could use a GL hosted here to discuss FAQ items and use the output to update AHW or to create a Wiki here (or just use the GL)

What do people think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
cornjob wrote:
nickbolton wrote:

Though am not one of the posters to whom you refer, I have been considering (and have done a small amount of work on) a GeekList-based Arkham Horror FAQ. I would be happy to put the work in to turn it into something useful to the community - either as a GeekList or as a bunch of Wiki pages.

I know that considerable investment has been made in the Arkham Horror Wiki by members of this and other communities; I don't want to duplicate that work, it's really great at adding clarifications to individual items. We could use a GL hosted here to discuss FAQ items and use the output to update AHW or to create a Wiki here (or just use the GL)

What do people think?

The wiki is great. I guess I just would like a:
"controversial rulings" list. Either stuff that hasn't been clarified by FFG or where they've contradicted themselves. It would save time on sifting the monstrous FAQ thread over there if I know its not present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you ARE one of the posters I pay attention to for official rulings, mccrispy. And I would look forward to your GL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
johan rosenblad
Sweden
malmoe
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Though am not one of the posters to whom you refer,

Of course you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.