Popular Tags: [View All]
Getchell Williams
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question, how well does this game play with only 2 players? I am very interested in buying this game but the only person I really play board games with is my girlfriend, so I am kind of interested in good 2 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play a 2 player game of Survive against my wife we use all the meeples (2 colours each) and count all the points for both your chosen colours.
That way it turns into the same as a 4 player game with all the carnage because this game is best with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Greene
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I mostly play this two player as it is one of my wife's favorite games. We played it with "sadistic destructive child rules" mostly by accident but really got a kick out of it. We've started playing as written but it's less chaotic but still a blast.

For those interested the sadistic destructive child rules are the tiles that move a monster to any unoccupied space instead move them to any space. Our two player games were typically blood baths until we realized that was wrong and now we rarely lose a piece. It depends on your personality (and maybe the strength of your relationship!) but it's fun and introduces a lot of tactical decisions that don't occur when you're playing the genteel rules as written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeple1 wrote:
When I play a 2 player game of Survive against my wife we use all the meeples (2 colours each) and count all the points for both your chosen colours.
That way it turns into the same as a 4 player game with all the carnage because this game is best with 4.

Did you start with 2 boats per colour, meaning 4 boats per player, or only 2 boats per player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We also play two colors each and thus get 4 boats each. Works great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingjames01 wrote:
Did you start with 2 boats per colour, meaning 4 boats per player, or only 2 boats per player?

4 boats per player, otherwise you have alot of meeples swiming but that could work as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we've been using 4 boats per player. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my gameā€¦ when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually use 1 set of meeples but sink 2 island tiles each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:
So it's good?

I think so! My wife does too! However, your 2 player group will have to try it and see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United Kingdom
Bradford on Avon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
We usually use 1 set of meeples but sink 2 island tiles each turn.

That's my method which I think works very well. The first time I played it two player we used the normal rules and all but one meeple survived - not ideal..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the box with the basic rules, it really does not play well with 2. The first time my girlfriend and I played, I got all my meeples off and she had all but one. It just didn't have that intensity factor like it does with 4 or even 3 people

I suppose you can do each player takes 2 sets of colors, but I've never cared for games which use that approach for 2 player game play.

Now if you have the 1st edition by Stronghold, it came with the blue Diver's Dice. If you use those (which technically is a variant in game play), it helps the 2 player immensely as it changes how far a creature may move.

Before, if your full boat is 1 space away from a serpent and the other player didn't roll a serpent on the red die, you will get all your guys to safety. Now with the blue dice, it could happen where the other play rolls a 2 or 3 for the serpents movement. Also, the drift/dive side ('D') helps move objects around and creates that chaos factor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.