Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lovecraft Country Horror version 2.0 has now been published on this site. About a year ago I posted a prototype of Lovecraft country Horror to this site. Now, after a lot of work, I've finally updated it into a full expansion.

Imagine that Fantasy Flight Games published a new big box expansion based on some of the minor locales in Lovecraft's work. This is that expansion. Inside this expansion, you'll find:

• Lovecraft Country Board
• 16 Investigators and their corresponding Personal Stories
• 4 Ancient Ones and their corresponding Sinister Plots.
• 16 Skills
• 32 Common Items
• 24 Unique Items
• 10 Spells
• 10 Cults, Guardians, Heralds and Institutions
• 16 Music of Erich Zann cards
• 76 Leads
• 4 Allies
• 32 Monsters
• A selection of miscellaneous Cards
• 24 New Injuries and Madnesses
• 84 Tokens
• Over 50 Mythos Cards
• 40 Outer World Encounters
• Over 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood

Let's have a look at just a few of those contents in detail:

As you can see, there is a completely new board, Aylesbury - one location in the original prototype - has been fully fleshed out into a city in it's own right. The Martin's Beach Horror - one of the principal reasons for visiting Lovecraft Country - remains alongside the Billington Estate, but there is now a run down hamlet called Dean's Corner which can visitted for supplies. You'd better hurry though, because it might close before the game is out.

The Akeley Farmhouse exists as a location, alongside Peck Valley and Witches Hollow. Note the vortex next to Peck Valley. Monsters which go into that Vortex cause Elder Signs to be removed from Lovecraft Country or gates to appear at Witches Hollow, or else they help awaken the Martin's Beach Horror, a dangerous enemy which will quickly cause the Terror Level to rise.

For those of you playing Vermont Horror alongside Lovecraft Country, Akeley Farmhouse counts as the same location on both boards, so you can easily cross between the two. A lot of attention has been paid to both existing expansions and popular custom expansions, helping extend not just the longevity of this expansion but the longevity of your Arkham Horror games.

As with any big board expansion, there are new investigators. Sixteen in total, ranging from a boxer and a factory worker to a priest and a ballroom dancer. Let's have a look at Raoul Hutch, the movie director:

Raouls' Director's Eye is an asset to any team. Often perceiving the story behind the news headlines, Raoul will usually have plenty of clues to hand. Be careful though, for if he spends all of his clues before he has passed his Personal Story his position as a premier gate diver will be severely diminished.

As well as new investigators, Lovecraft Country Horror contains new Common Items, Unique Items, Spells and Skills. Here are some samples:

The Bentley is one of several new vehicles in this set that'll easily allow you to scoot around Arkham. However at $7, it doesn't come cheap. Easter Island Glyphs is one of many cards that gives an incentive to visit some of the less popular locations in Arkham. It can be examined for clues, or for the gamblers amongst you, sold to the University for money. Be wary though, the Glyphs might be worth less than you paid for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

The Unspekable Oath is an excellent way to heal your Investigator. Of course, when you sup with the devil, you should use a long spoon. If the Ancient One awakens, you won't play any part in the combat.

Speaking of Ancient Ones there are four new ones in this set: Gloon, Magnum Innomandium, Mordiggan and Tru'Nembra.

Gloon was designed as a training Ancient One. As it only has ten doom tokens, the game will come to a conclusion one way or another. Gloon's special ability will ensure that players not have many items in front of them. By reducing the number of items a player has, the game is simplified for new players. They do not need to remember that they have a Hand Camera or Research Materials or that they are unaffected by environment due to their Ley Line Map. Just pick your three best things and run with them.

Every unstable location in Lovecraft Country has a trigger upon which it will open. However, to stop player's get too cocky, this set also includes new Mythos cards:

Although the gate opens at the Billington Estate, note how this card also interacts with locations on the main board, Dunwich, Kingsport and even Vermont.

Like any good expansion, this set expands on the basic rules:

In the images above we can see a Music of Erich Zann card. These cards were designed to solve a specific game tempo related issue, when you have five seals down, everything is under control but all the clues have evaporated. By listening to Erich's music, an investigator can go to a specific location to gain clues. It's slow, but with other clues sources, it should be enough to keep the game flowing. Note again how the card interacts with both Lovecraft Country and the Kingsport Horror.

The integrated Terror track (which can be used quite separately from Lovecraft country) was designed to make the Terror Track more interesting. At the start of the game, the Terror Track cards are placed on the blue sides, each giving the investigators a minor benefit. As the Terror Track rises, these benefits begin to vanish and are replaced with penalties.

Another element of Lovecraft Country which does not require the new board is Leads. Leads are "clues on a card" Instead of starting with clues, non-occult investigators now start with Leads (and start the game in the Upkeep Phase to boot) In this fashion, the Investigators actually do some... investigation. Each of the leads is written as though it came from the pages of a pulp novel, to maintain the overall atmosphere of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A month or two ago, we put up a session report on Lovecraft Country. You can read bout it here to get a better feel for how the game plays:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/814739/new-custom-expans...

The files for Lovecraft Country Horror can be found here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/65090/lovecraft-countr...

For those worried about the time required to print out all the components for this game, a mini-version of Lovecraft Country is available amongst the files. It includes just the cards that come up in encounters, so all you'll need to do is print out the encounter index, board and a few cards (such as the Martin's Beach Horror) and you'll be able to play the game. Due to the modular nature of Arkham, you can then print out some of the less labour intensive components (e.g. Ancient Ones, Heralds) as you see fit.

Additionally, if you are worried about custom material being clearly obvious from standard material, please note that Lovecraft Country was also designed to allow players to incorporate custom material into their games with the minimum of fuss. The FAQ goes into this in a lot more detail, but the basic gist is that many of the location give specific card types. Hence custom material can be gotten from these locations, whereas regular material can be gotten from the main board.

I hope you enjoy Lovecraft Country. Unitl the next time, good gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks great! Is there a chance FFG will take it on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
If you burn down Witches Hollow, what happens when a monster enters the vortex when there are no elder signs in Lovecraft Country? Does it just skip to removing a Martins Beach token, or does nothing happen at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, if you have burnt down the Potter Farmhouse (Nine of Hearts, Witches Hollow) skip to the next instruction. A monster appears at Aylesbury Pike and a token is removed from Martin's Beach.

Thanks for your feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stack
United States
Orchard Park
New York
flag msg tools
Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Awesome work on this! The quality is comparable if not better then some of the FFG Expansions. I'm looking at you Kingsport! yuk

Any chance of getting this as an add on to the Vassal AH Module?

TIA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pichoro MacLeod
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
It looks wonderful to try out - is there anywhere to get a more printer friendly version of the components for those of us who can't match up printer access to a computer with strange eons on it, and so, haven't bothered with strange eons?

I'm thinking like in the cases of Vermont Horror and Door to Saturn, where the images are all lined up on single images, meant to be run off as entire pages?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
These images may be the solution to your problems.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k506/jabie1/Lovecraft%20...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pichoro MacLeod
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Well, no , I'm speaking more about the cards. Items, monsters, encounter cards, tokens, the backs of everything - each and every image is a different item in your photobucket account, meaning that they either need to be printed individually or the user has to make their own printsheets. Or have Strange Eons on a computer with a printer.

Personally, I want to take the files elsewhere and get some nice copies ran off to enjoy. But they won't have Strange Eons.

While I'm no pro, the existence of these "printsheets" in other custom expansions makes me wonder if such a setting exists in Strange Eons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tom Wilfong helpfully put together all the pictures in a file structure, which you can download from a link in this forum post:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1035042/arkham-archive-of-fa...

These are still the images but they'll be a lot easier to use in this format than downloading images individually from photobucket.

I think it is possible to set up print sheets in Strange eons, but I always found the tool a little fiddly to use and also that the images were slightly too small, which maybe it's an A4 vs Letter Size issue. Consequently, when I created my personal version, I'm afraid I never put together a print sheet using SE. I opened Microsoft Word, imported the images and resized them accordingly. Geekmail me your email address and I can see if I can find the sheets I created, but due to circumstances beyond my control I may not be able to get back to your for a week or two.

It should be noted that the rules do include an index sheet allowing you to use a deck of cards to simulate all the encounters and Mythos cards, along with a page of the items and skills that come up in the encounters. This will allow you to play LCH with just the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.