Summoner Wars (2012)» Forums » General

Subject: iOS Online Multiplayer Timer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else but can someone give me a brief rundown of how the timer works for iOS Online Multiplayer?

I lost a game the other night because I joined a game showing 15 mins (for some reason I assumed this was how long the host had been waiting for an opponent) and during the game suddenly I got the message saying I'd lost due forfeit.

I also won a game this morning due to a forfeit even though we'd both been taking our turns fairly regularly. I suspect there may be more players out there than me that are unaware of the timer restriction.

But anyway getting back to the question, does the timer work like a chess clock where your time starts ticking down the moment your opponent finishes their move?

ie. A 1 day game must be completed within a 2 day period because you both have 24 hours of 'thinking' time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Yojimbo252 wrote:

But anyway getting back to the question, does the timer work like a chess clock where your time starts ticking down the moment your opponent finishes their move?

Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so at what point does it start for each player?

Say I setup a 15 min game but no one joins for a couple hours, so I go to bed. If someone then joins and makes their move am I going to wake up the next morning with a loss due to forfeit?

Or does my clock only start when I sign in and take my first move? In which case will the other player be in the above situation where they possibly being in a different timezone may wake up or return home from work with a loss due to forfeit?

Does that make sense or am I talking nonsense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yojimbo252 wrote:
Ok so at what point does it start for each player?
It should start as soon as it is your turn to make your move, whether or not you are signed into the app or on you iDevice. So, yes, if you sign up for a 15 minute game and go to sleep, most likely you will lose by forfeit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks for clarifying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go to bed, just remove the game from the server and you won't have to worry about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that makes sense. thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait...how do you remove a game from the server?? *scratches head*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gee
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he means if nobody has joined yet by the time you are going to bed (or will otherwise be away from your device), just cancel the created game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game won't start until the creator hits start, so there's no risk in leaving your own ga,e open. Joining someone else's that doesn't start right away, however, is a gamble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So is there any way to join an open game with random opponent, but play it asynchronously ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndreKada wrote:
So is there any way to join an open game with random opponent, but play it asynchronously ?
Essentially all games are played asynchronously but you have an overall time limit for your turns.

My suggestion would be to pick/create a game with either 7 or 14 days thinking time which should be ample to effectively play the game 'async' rather than 'live real time'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.