Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Pelton
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play effects that lower the alarm value, if the alarm is currently on 0, does it drop to -1 or stay at zero?

We have ruled it to stay at zero and the -1 is only for the longer game.

Any comments on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think staying at zero makes the most sense.

If you wanted a shorter game, you could say it goes from 0 backwards to 99. That will make the game REALLY short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
When this happened in my game, we pushed it back from 0 to -1. It's just an abstract measurement of how well the alarms are currently working; it makes perfect sense that they could become temporarily "Faulty", whether that's represented in the in-game story by equipment failure or social engineering (faking radio calls back to base or whatever).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sparrow
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mb
This happened in my last game (4th ever game) and we agreed that in-game effects could lower the alarm dial to -1 during the game but no lower.

It did make for an interesting game where we were scrabbling for every last file of data as we had more than the expected amount of time to escape the facility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
When this happened in my game, we pushed it back from 0 to -1. It's just an abstract measurement of how well the alarms are currently working; it makes perfect sense that they could become temporarily "Faulty", whether that's represented in the in-game story by equipment failure or social engineering (faking radio calls back to base or whatever).

Theme is everything - so you putting the alarm to -1 is like an "open door" event at the very secret research facilty then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing the game starting at -1 instead of 0, because our first few games felt like they ended far too soon. It basically extends the game by a round or two, but frankly it also encourages more risk taking in the form of going deeper into the facility.

All that said, I wouldn't let the alarm go below -1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
I think staying at zero makes the most sense.

If you wanted a shorter game, you could say it goes from 0 backwards to 99. That will make the game REALLY short.

I'm not trying to troll here, but they're talking about the "Alarm Dial". This dial goes from '-1' to '8'. It's the Proximity Dial which goes from '00' to '99'.
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing thematically invalid about Operative actions managing to reduce the urgency of impending security forces to the point that they pause whatever they're doing to try and figure out what's going on and whether or not this is a false alarm. Bear in mind that the alarm dial being set to -1 simply means the proximity dial doesn't move becasue the die will always come up with at least a 1. It's impossible for the proximity dial to go backwards during the security step, and that's the only point where I'd see a thematic oddity--even then there are ways to explain it.

More to the point: nothing in the rules suggests the dial cannot pass below zero during play. If the number is on the dial, I'd say it's a valid play scenario without explicit commentary on the matter from the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.