Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The end of our time spent looking at this rather gloomy potential future sees our last three surviving empires uniting in peaceful collaboration to repair the damage done over the last few turns..... yeah, right, get real! No, they threw everything they had at each other in a desperate struggle for survival, attempting to be the last empire to be holding anything of value as the universe's clock stops and the stars wink out, one by one....

After spending Power:

Power Fleet Gars'n Insrnce Team
13 116 49 1 Followers of Deebs
0 65 11 0 Kingdom of Loathing
0 8 0 0 Insurance Consortium
0 0 0 0 The Shadowy Men on a Shadow Planet
0 0 0 0 The Emanon Empire
0 0 0 0 The Kender
0 0 0 0 Arrowninan Empire
0 0 0 0 StarJacks
0 0 0 0 Brothers Emmanuel
0 0 0 0 Doh!minion of Doh!nuts
0 0 0 0 The Empire of Worlds in Flames
0 0 0 0 Robobo-Bobobot Empire
0 0 0 0 Empire of the Founding Fathers

Raids:
Insurance Consortium sent 7 fleet to raid Followers of Deebs. They stole 2 Power (destroying 2 more) and took out 4 garrison before they were wiped from the face of the galaxy.
Kingdom of Loathing's fleet of 65 brand new ships stormed the fortress of the Followers of Deebs. 22 fleet were lost, 30 garrison were destroyed and 5 power was stolen.
Followers of Deebs massive 116 ship fleet retaliated and blasted Kingdom of Loathing with everything they had. 4 Fleet were destroyed, the Garrison was laid waste and 3 Power was stolen.

After Attacks:

Power Fleet Gars'n Insrnce Team
3 112 45 1 Followers of Deebs
2 1 0 0 Insurance Consortium
0 43 0 0 Kingdom of Loathing
0 0 0 0 The Shadowy Men on a Shadow Planet
0 0 0 0 The Emanon Empire
0 0 0 0 The Kender
0 0 0 0 Arrowninan Empire
0 0 0 0 StarJacks
0 0 0 0 Brothers Emmanuel
0 0 0 0 Doh!minion of Doh!nuts
0 0 0 0 The Empire of Worlds in Flames
0 0 0 0 Robobo-Bobobot Empire
0 0 0 0 Empire of the Founding Fathers

Wow! What an end! How close was that?! At the end it came down to the order that the attacks went in and Insurance Consortium's decision to send 7 rather than 8 fleet (which might have nicked 1 more power and took the win).

Thanks to everyone for playing, hope you had a great time. Also thanks for putting up with my eratic book-keeping and numerous errors!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
This game was far too silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless someone spots yet another silly error by me, prizes will be paid out as follows:

Prizes
1st 20 Followers of Deebs
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

2nd 10 Insurance Consortium
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

3rd 5 Kingdom of Loathing
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb

4th 3 The Shadowy Men on a Shadow Planet
D a v i d B u r k e y
United States
Fort Smith
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it. Edgar Allan Poe
badge
Ain't nobody here but us chickens...
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I will now reveal the formulas for combat calculation!

Fleet Left= Fleet-(Garrison*((RAND()/4+RAND()/4)+0.3))
Garrison Left= Garrison-(Fleet*((RAND()/4+RAND()/4)+0.3))
Power Stolen= Fleet*(RAND()/5+RAND()/5+RAND()/5)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
No wonder. There were random factors to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good times. I had a 2/3 chance that round of getting at least one power by attacking Deebs, assuming Loathing and Deebs ignored me and attacked each other, which they had to do. Thanks to our busy moderator for running this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ipgyst wrote:
Good times. I had a 2/3 chance that round of getting at least one power by attacking Deebs, assuming Loathing and Deebs ignored me and attacked each other, which they had to do. Thanks to our busy moderator for running this.

Agreed. Thanks 1000RPM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanon
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for running the game. It was fun to follow even though I was basically eliminated after the first turn shake
It was amusing to manage to hang around and finish 5th since there was no benefit for anyone to come and finish me off (all part of my strategy )

Now when will Geekball start up? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyle Smith wrote:

Ha!
I'll probably get myself back into that sometime.
Maybe when Le Tour finishes....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:

Oh well if I'd known this I'd have done MUCH better!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Or not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
Kyle Smith wrote:

Ha!
I'll probably get myself back into that sometime.
Maybe when Le Tour finishes....

On the other hand there is a team turn-based trench warfare game that I designed about 10 years ago and never got around to running that I fancy dusting off and giving a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We all have game designs nobody's interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
1000rpm wrote:

Oh well if I'd known this I'd have done MUCH better!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Or not!

I think it translates as:

Each 10 Garrison kill 3-8 fleet, normally 5 or 6.
Each 10 Fleet kill 3-8 Garrison, normally 5 or 6.
Each 10 Fleet steal 0-6 Power, normally 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

Nobody's seen this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
Jythier wrote:

Nobody's seen this one!

Trench warfare, though? Team based??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg von Lemberg
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:

Way too random. Dice fest. Roll and move. Broken. Needs extensive house-ruling to even approach playability. Feels like Monopoly but without the fun factor of Free Parking.

AH, Just kidding. Was a lot of fun, but oh how I loathe that Kingdom of Loathing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked it for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ipgyst wrote:

Indeed! I feel very fortunate that it worked out for me in the end. I got lucky both with the turn order but more importantly that ipgyst only managed to grab 2 power from me. However, it could have been a 50/50 between me and Astinex if he would have listened to me:

Deebs wrote:
King of Loathing,

This is a long post but hear me out.

The only logical option for you and Insurance is to attack me, and the only logical option for me is to attack you with my entire fleet.

It's also fairly obvious that you will create a fleet large enough to steal a maximum amount of power from me and I'll assume Insurance's 8 fleet will steal 3 power (which seems to be the norm for such a fleet.

If nobody generates any more power these are the possible outcomes depending on turn order:

1)
I attack you and steal 0 power
Insurance attacks me and steals 3 power
You attack me and steal 2 power

Result: Insurance 3, You 2, Me 0

2)
You attack me and steal 5 power
Insurance attacks me and steals 0 power

Result: You 5, Me 0, Insurance 0

3)

Result: Insurance 3, You 2, Me 0

4)
I attack you and steal 1 power

Result: Insurance 3, Me 1, You 0

5)
I attack you and steal 3 power
Insurance attacks me and steals 2 power

Result: Insurance 2, Me 0, You 0

6)
I attack you and steal 3 power

Result: Me 3, You 0, Insurance 0

Summary
If none of us create any power here are the odds of finishing in the different positions:

1st 2nd 3rd
Insurance 67% 0% 33%
Me 17% 50% 33%
You 17% 50% 33%

Surprisingly, the Insurance Consortium is the favourite to win.

If I generate 4 more power the table will shift slightly for Insurance and You, but it will be exactly the same odds for me so there is no point in me doing it. I'm not going to spell out the details because I'm too lazy to put it all into writing.

However, you have all the power to change the odds.

If you create 17 power, you can still create a fleet of at least 40 which is enough to steal any power I might have when it arrives in my territory. (Garrison is seemingly unimportant when it comes to the number of power that is stolen.)

Then we have the following possible outcomes depending on turn order:

1)
I attack you and steal 9 power
You attack me and steal 6 power

Result: Loathing 6, Insurance 3, Me 0

2)
You attack me and steal 9 power

Result: Loathing 9, Me 0, Insurance 0

3)
You attack me and steal 6 power

Result: Loathing 6, Insurance 3, Me 0

4)
I attack you and steal 10 power

Result: Me 10, Insurance 3, Loathing 0

5)
I attack you and steal 11 power

Result: Me 5, Insurance 3, Loathing 0

6)
I attack you and steal 11 power

Result: Me 11, Loathing 0, Insurance 0

Summary
If you create 17 power, these are the odds:

1st 2nd 3rd
You 50% 17% 33%
Me 50% 17% 33%
Insurance 0% 67% 33%

So please, please, please create 17 power. It radically increases both our chances to win and it isn't bad for any of us.

Best regards,
Deebs

But the way the turn order happened it wouldn't have made any difference to the final result.

Thank you so much Tony for running this, I've enjoyed it a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And thank you all my fellow players! I think the last post showed that I really put too much time and mental effort into this. I would like to apologize to all of you whom I have lied to, betrayed, deceived, backstabbed, conspired against and slaughtered. That's probably all of you...

My strategy was to place myself in the middle of the field from the start and then work myself upwards.

It worked out quite well, I was not too vulnerable as an easy target, but at the same time not a threat to anyone else (trying to find the right power/garrison balance). Then us guys in the middle rather quickly formed an alliance to take down the big guys. The risk was of course that when we became the "big guys" we would be targets, but that's when I initiated "project genocide" and we (Shadow, Insurance, Loathing and me) banded together to take out the (now) smaller empires once and for all.

All hell broke loose however when I used an opportunity that arose in my favour. Kender wanted help in taking out Shadow and at the same time I spread a massive amount of misinformation which lead to a number of attacks that worked out poorly for most of the involved players. That allowed me to pull ahead and all of a sudden I was so large that the others probably feared to backstab me (it would cost them their entire fleets).

Most of the fun in this game happened "behind the scenes" and all the messaging has been very entertaining.

Thanks again all involved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ignored Diplomacy except for that one bit, and obviously it didn't work out. Being medium at the time, I assumed it wouldn't work out, but I did get the info that you were systematically destroying smaller people. The idea was to knock out the top people by the top people in order to get myself into a higher position. Good idea for me, not so much for the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PinkPiggy wrote:
And if you're short on geekgold, perhaps we all* can chip in couple quid for a pot, and pay it out to the victors.

Thanks. Actually I'm fine for geekgold and I should point out that although I offered the prizes for this out of my own geekgold stash, that SettlerDave then sent me that amount of money saying "You really shouldn't have to pay for prizes as well as going to the effort of running things". So a big thanks to him. I'm not sure that I mentioned that before - I meant to, but I have quite a lot of things going on and could well have forgotten.

I didn't want to charge people for entry as it would cut down on the participants and I'd have rather had a few more people playing. I won't turn donations down though, it is nice to have my efforts appreciated.

Here is the old blurb I wrote for Trench Warfare*:

Quote:
Trench Warfare

This game will be a team game with four players on each of the two sides. Involved in the heroic quest to gain the next hill, or a few hundred feet, two countries battle it out to gain control of an area the size of six football pitches.

On each team will be a General, with overall control of strategy and allocation of troops and resources, and three captains, in charge of tactical decisions on the battlefield - building defences, going ‘over-the-top’ and requesting artillery support, reconnaissance and re-supply from your General.

* I don't really like the name. The pointless waste of young life that took place feels like it shouldn't really be turned into a game. In a way I'd like a name that differentiates this from World War I. So, ideas welcome. Maybe "Forward!" or "Sword of Justice" or "Your Country Needs You!"

If anyone is seriously interested in playing then say whether you'd like to be a Captain or a General.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PinkPiggy wrote:
I'm interested in playing Captain. I suggest the top players from the current game, if they want to play this new game, to join as Generals.

Suggested Titles:

"Pointless Onslaught"
"The Ants go Marching"
"Bayonett"

"The Totally Renamed Game Not At All Related to WWI"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Call it "Paintball in a Ditch" and problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.