Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
So there's been a few cycles release since Order of the Silver Twilight was released, have any of the new cards improved the Silver Twilight mono deck?

I haven't really been keeping in touch and I'm just now catching up with my Asylum packs.

Any particular ST cards to look out for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they still are better in a 2-faction deck than mono, but it can be done. Basically I think they can make a good mono deck for casual level play, but probably not going to win Regionals quite yet. Are you allowing Neutrals? Out of faction cards with 0-cost or uncolored put-into-play effects? That may help a little too.

They've had several characters lately that receive a boost from Tome cards, you might want to look into that as a possibility. Of course, bouncing is always strong for them too, especially with Initiate of Huang Hun out since the original box.

Within the current cycle, I particularly like Knight of the Eclipse, Sarah Van Shaw, and Nathan Wick. The first two benefit from Tomes, Nathan lets you make good use of extra cards, typically for more Huang Hun or to thin your hand to use Pass Grip of a Master. You sort of have to pick one or the other usually, either there's a Huang Hun in your hand (in which case your hand is not empty) or there isn't.

If you're talking about since the box released, that's 16 packs worth of releases so there's quite a bit more. Initiate of Huang Hun and Master of the Myths are both major cards to look at but there are quite a few more nice ones depending what you want to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think ST is a fun mono-faction for social play, but I really think that they shine right now in dual decks. Not necessarily as a secondary faction either, but the prime faction being boosted by Yog, Hastur, or some other faction. I think when MU gets their expansion box ST and MU might be a really good mix. MU's card acceleration and rush supported by ST bouncing tricks and discard from hand could be a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
MU is still the best pairing I think. That 2-cost guy that lets you look at the top 5 cards and play a support card for free allows for a pretty wide variety of combos. Those two factions pair very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add - some primarily Silver Twilight decks with support from various other factions have done well in Regionals. They're certainly ready to be a main faction and not just a supporting one.

For mono I would say look towards November-ish. At that time we'll have the last couple packs from this cycle plus the Seekers box which should give them a nice set of new cards to work with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gudrun Runix
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I think they are somewhat viable as a solo deck, particularly given Initiate of Huang Hun and Master of the Myths, and with the latest additions. But they really shine as the primary faction with a supporting faction; I think they do well with Shub, as Shub has a lot of abilities to fish the discard pile, and the Twilight typically feed a lot of cards into the discard pile, through their discard mechanics and relatively weak characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks guys. I think i am going to try an ST/Miskatonic deck. What specific cards and combos should I shoot for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried that combination yet, but I think it could work well. A couple of angles that might be interesting:

Miskatonic's card draw can help fuel some of the Silver Twilight cards that require you to discard a card to activate some effect.

Miskatonic has some good sorcerer characters, you might try doing a themed deck with Magnus Stiles and see where that goes.

Some of the recent Miskatonic packs have featured cards that can save characters from wounds, Silver Twilight can benefit from this sort of thing too as they are poor in combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the latest pack the card Ritual of Exclusion seems to offer a way to deal with factions that outclass you in the Combat struggle - I've been trying it out playing mono-ST vs. mono-Agency and doing pretty well. Once you've lost several characters you can bring them back in hand for a second use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted up a short writeup of a mono-Silver Twilight deck I started working on on the FFG forums:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...

Feel free to comment in either location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.