Subject: This or Warhammer Invasion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guilherme xD
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple question, I started buying boardgames when I realized the huge amount of money that I spent in magic the gathering, today I have only LoR: LCG of card game, and I would like to buy a competitive card game, so what do you guys think, I buy Warhammer: Invasion (my option after read the rules of a lot other card games) or wait Android: Netrunner.

EDIT 1&2&3: Typos, bad english...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: This os Warhammer Invasion
guilherme33 wrote:
Simple question, I started buying boardgames when I realized the huge amount of money that I spent in magic the gathering, today I have only LoR: LCG of card game, and I would like to buy a competitive card game, so what do you guys think, I buy Warhammer: Invasion (my option after read the rules of a lot other card games) or wait Android: Netrunner.

EDIT 1&2: Typos, bad english...

You're in the Android:Netrunner forums.

QED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
As a fan of Netrunner who is highly anticipating the release of Android:Netrunner (you're going to run across a few of those) I would highly suggest holding out for the release of Netrunner - it'll be here sooner than you think.

I've played Warhammer Invasion, and while it was far from terrible I didn't fall in love with the mechanics... also, there's the whole "catching up" thing regarding trying to track down every LCG pack that's come out for Warhammer Invasion - that's no fun at all.

As a former Magic player myself, one of my favorite two player competitive games is Omen: A Reign of War. Plenty of replay value and the potential for drafting make this a Magic player's dream come true...

Give it shot if you're looking for something until Netrunner comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Netrunner seems to have a huge early buzz indicating that it will likely have a stronger community. All 64 slots in the Netrunner Gencon tournament have sold out. There is a Warhammer: Invasion tournament as well, looks like 3 tickets were sold - it seems to be the least popular of the LCGs.

Wait for Netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guilherme33 wrote:

EDIT 1&2: Typos, bad english...

Depends on how fast you want to get to complex deckbuilding. Netrunner is considered to be one of, if not THE best CCG's of all time, but the LCG version hasn't even hit shelves yet, and has no expansions yet, but they'll quickly start rolling out. Warhammer Invasion is an awesome game. It's basic gameplay is arguably not as strategically interesting as Netrunner, but it has tons of expansions, translating into numerous deck styles.

Personally, if you have patience and limited cash, I'd say wait to see how good the Netrunner remake really is, then decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halliday
United Kingdom
Herts.
flag msg tools
Overclock Epic Fail!
badge
Please note I am no longer very active on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb

Edit: +1 to above

So much depends on your personal taste in games. If empire-building and symmetric combat is your thing then maybe Warhammer Invasions is the way to go, but if the bluffing and asymmetric game-play of Android: Netrunner appeals to you then I suggest that you hold off making a decision at least until the rules are released.

If you buy the core set of either game then the immediate cost won't be a problem, but 5 battle pack cycles have already been released for Warhammer Invasions - serious money if you want to play catch-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're starting from scratch, start with Netrunner.

The LCGs have a BAD "catch-up" problem. I think they need to do boxed expansions like they're switching to with CoC, and keep them all in print.

They should just have a 200 or so card one every three months or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My advise? Wait and see.

Go to the Warhammer forums, if you haven't already, and don't merely ask this question, but try to figure out how balanced the core release was on its own. Find out what "necessary" pack cycles have been released, if any, and anything else that will tell you whether or not you'll need to immediately pay more money to get a balanced title in your hands.

Then, wait a month (or so) for Netrunner reviews to trickle in. Compare information and then go from there.

If you're not playing competitively, you'll probably do fine with either. However, if you have even an inkling of interest in playing against other collectors, follow the advise above this post and go with Netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Jekel
Poland
Torun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own each and every expansion and adventure pack of Warhammer Invasion (in fact to fully enjoy the deck-building aspect of the game you need two/three basic sets and three copies of each adventure pack from the first cycle) and it is my favourite game. It beats Magic hands down as far as engagement is concerned. It is obvious that you play the game and not the other way around. It is fast and rewards both deck-building skills and good gameplay.

As mentioned before, it is really far down the road and it gets better and better with each new expansion. New adventure packs introduce great cards that work great with previously crappy cards. Unfortunatelly, what it means is that to fully enjoy the experience and utilize the new cards you need to have the (nearly) complete set or for two players at least two (nearly) complete factions.

With so many cards available, you can build at least 5-6 good decks for each faction, wich amounts to almost unlimited replayability. I have played about 650 games of WhI with my sons and I do not even feel that I have exhausted all the possibilities.

To sum up, in my opinion the best card game that takes the best things from Magic and Game of Thrones. Easy to play, fast, engaging and fun. The downside is the number of available expansions. To fully enjoy the experience, it will cost you A LOT.

As for Netrunner, I will FGG changed the distribution model compared to WhI. I want to buy one basic set and than a big expansion every three months. It would be perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guilherme33 wrote:

I'm a longtime fan of both... I would choose Netrunner over Invasion anytime. Actually, I've begun to sell my full set of Invasion to make a change for Netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
endou_kenji wrote:
guilherme33 wrote:

I'm a longtime fan of both... I would choose Netrunner over Invasion anytime. Actually, I've begun to sell my full set of Invasion to make a change for Netrunner.

Why, do they fight each other on the shelves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
endou_kenji wrote:
guilherme33 wrote:

'Cause I don't have the time, nor the money to dedicate to two LCGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
endou_kenji wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
endou_kenji wrote:
guilherme33 wrote:

'Cause I don't have the time, nor the money to dedicate to two LCGs.

I don't know anything about Warhammer: Invasion, but I do know Android: Netrunner and would personally go with it (regardless if you are a Netrunner veteran or new to the game itself). Even if you get the core set alone and choose not to pursue the expansions afterwards you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it I'm sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilherme xD
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW just WOW, serious, you guys were a great help and very supportive, for that I thanks you very much and here is my decision: with very reasonable prices of the core sets, I will buy both cool, and see which me and my group will enjoy more. Thanks again laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guilherme33 wrote:
WOW just WOW, serious, you guys were a great help and very supportive, for that I thanks you very much and here is my decision: with very reasonable prices of the core sets, I will buy both cool, and see which me and my group will enjoy more. Thanks again laugh

Just curious: why was Call of Cthulhu and Game of Thrones left out of consideration? I've heard both were better than Warhammer, though take that with a grain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charis
Switzerland
Genève
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
guilherme33 wrote:

Just curious: why was Call of Cthulhu and Game of Thrones left out of consideration? I've heard both were better than Warhammer, though take that with a grain.

Although slightly out of topic, in my humble opinion AGoT is far superior to CoC. Personally i am planning to sell CoC to invest on Android: Netrunner once it is out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like FFG is competing with itself for our $$.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:

Only for those 'converting'.

Anyone who didn't play an LCG before A:NR is going to be a new customer.

Anyone who did play another LCG and plans to keep up with two of them is more sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
roborob wrote:

Only for those 'converting'.

Anyone who didn't play an LCG before A:NR is going to be a new customer.

Anyone who did play another LCG and plans to keep up with two of them is more sales.

I, for one, would have never paid any attention to the LCG movement if Netrunner hadn't been brought into the fold.

I'm considering picking up another, perhaps AGoT, but I want to get a feel for the investments necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.