Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Going to finish the main campaign tomorow any questions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jens Thernström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I and some friends had the chance to play descent to prepare for an preview event and we made the most of it, going to finish the campaign tomorow. I've been playing the overlord and the hero charaters that have been played is the berskers, necromancer and spiritspeaker.

If you have any questions I'm going to do myu best to answer them.

We have had an absolut blast with the game and are looking forward to playing more of it.

Kindest regards
Jens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is your over all high level impression of the game as it stands, alone.

What is your impression when now comparing it to Descent1.

What changes in party dynamics are different between the two.

What is the single largest change between the two version that hit you most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing the campaign:

What elements are Included, Changed or Omitted when making a comparison against RTL/SOB as a whole?

Best and worst campaign enhancement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Thernström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
have only played 1ed once so not the right person to answer those questions sadly. But hte overall game feels more acceable and fast, giving more oppertunities for pause and stopping points. The set up for each mission and encounter is done fast, the biggest problem is finding the correct map tiles ^^

Party dynamics is realy important, playing the OL I've only lost one encounter so far and I feel that it can be attributed to both hero players playing melee characters mixed with not the greates movement and focus on objective but when the spiritspeaker joined and gave some ranged and healing support the table began to turn.

We have had a bast with the game and I want to play it again from the hero side. Feels like there is imense replay value and that you have a full campaign from the box is a big selling point. The story have been developing nicely and my victories will affect the finaly. It's good to be bad ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not Needed
msg tools
Do the classes feel different enough? As in, does a knight play differently enough than a berserker to where you can tell who's who just by looking at how they play, or is it simply one does a tiny bit more damage, and the other takes better damage slightly?

How are the campaign missions? Are there any that are heavily favored towards the overlord or hero (besides the first one, which should lean towards heroes) or are they fairly balanced?

How fun is the necromancer? Just asking as that'll probably be my favorite class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Thernström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are very different when the heroes start to utilize the skills and buy new skill cards between missions. The playstyle definetly comes through and are shaped by the choice of heroes, having defeated a group of heroes repeatedly a strong suggestion is to make sure that the group of heroes are balanced and suplement each other.

The campaign missions are realy well balanced it has been down to the last coupl of turns to decide the victor and you can often point to a couple of decisions that shifted the mission in either way. The only encounter so far that felt unbalanced was death on the wing encounter 2, and that was unanimous from both the heroes and me as OL.

The necromancer seems realy fun to play, bit of a downside is the confusing rules about how to handle the familiar and that in the base game only is one avaliable to the necromancer but the hero itself seems a bit more flexible than the other that have played since the familiar and hero can move freely of each other.

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wordlyweko wrote:
The only encounter so far that felt unbalanced was death on the wing encounter 2, and that was unanimous from both the heroes and me as OL.

In the game I played with 3 heroes, this encounter ended in 2 turns with a hero victory. Was your experience similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Thernström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it was and having won encounter 1 I expected it not to end that fast, and noone at the table could figure out how it would have ended in any other way. But to stress the point all other encounters we have played have felt much more balanced with the victory being decided in the last few turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Smith

New Hampshire
msg tools
Wait, so you've only lost one encounter throughout the entire campaign and it was one that was generally considered, even by the winners, to be horribly unbalanced to the heroes?

That leaves me entirely skeptical of the balance issues in the entire game and I would be interested in hearing opinions from the heroes (who lost basically every match) on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Thernström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
they all felt that if they had played a few moves better and coordinated as agroup better, they are all more used to competitive games rather than cooperative the ecounters could just as easily have been won by the heroes. As I said before every scenario exept for death on the wing were decided in the few last turns, and that with a group of heroes that rather played their turns without discussing with each other so I would not be concerned about the balance of the encounters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you won an encounter and had the choice of picking an Act 2 quest later on, were the choices obvious, like this one will favor the OL, so I'll pick this one, or was it more ambiguous?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Thernström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not having played themn before we had no idea how the story would unfold and what would happen in the missions. And I'm looking forward to playing the missions that were not selected this time around to see how the story changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon reflection, I think that encounter needs to start with the overlord blocking the first hallway with one of the elementals. Or playing a Dash card on the lieutenant or something.

Actually, the Overlord winning Encounter 1 would also help a great deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSumOne wrote:
When you won an encounter and had the choice of picking an Act 2 quest later on, were the choices obvious, like this one will favor the OL, so I'll pick this one, or was it more ambiguous?

I haven't looked through the campaign book, but if you look at the quest titles I think its fairly clear who should be picking what. (Look at the campaign sheet in the images for the titles)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Thernström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes the titles give a fairly clear hint, but event though the encounters havent played out the way I thought they would, or rather the story hav'nt develpoed as I predicted in all cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Thernström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes something needs to be done about that encounter, the heroes agreed on that aswell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wordlyweko wrote:
edit: I quoted the wrong person...

As a hero would you rather do the mission "The Dawnblade" or "The Desecrated Tomb"?

Would you rather go to "The Wyrm Turns" or "The Wyrm Rises"?

Would you rather have "Enduring the Elements" or "The Ritual of Shadows"?

By the way, the first choices all come from the left side where the hero icon is and the second choices all come from the right side where the OL icon is. You make the call...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Thernström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tranenturm wrote:
wordlyweko wrote:
not having played themn before we had no idea how the story would unfold and what would happen in the missions. And I'm looking forward to playing the missions that were not selected this time around to see how the story changes.

As a hero would you rather do the mission "The Dawnblade" or "The Desecrated Tomb"?

Would you rather go to "The Wyrm Turns" or "The Wyrm Rises"?

Would you rather have "Enduring the Elements" or "The Ritual of Shadows"?

By the way, the first choices all come from the left side where the hero icon is and the second choices all come from the right side where the OL icon is. You make the call...

Yes but you have to consider that each mission is divided into two encounters where the outcome of the missions specific story is dependent on what happens in ecounter one so even if the overall theme is in favour of the OL the heroes an still turn the story in their favour and the other way around for the missions that start out in favour of the heroes.

What I'm getting at is that even though the names telegraph a bit about whats going to happen I have been suprised about the outcome and plot in the missions more often than not when playing the chosen missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wordlyweko wrote:
The campaign missions are realy well balanced it has been down to the last coupl of turns to decide the victor and you can often point to a couple of decisions that shifted the mission in either way. The only encounter so far that felt unbalanced was death on the wing encounter 2, and that was unanimous from both the heroes and me as OL.

The heroes won the first encounter of Death on the Wing due to me having a bad strategy, but I think if I would have had the first turn, planned the second encounter a bit better, and didn't have such horrid luck on the dice, it wouldn't have been so bad. The initial elemental(s), if they survive the hero turn, can do a good job of keeping them in place, especially if you have it use Earth and then Air (immobilizing the heroes if they fail a check and then making the elemental immune to all attacks). You won't kill the heroes at all doing that, but if you kept a Dash card in your hand from encounter 1, you can start killing the guards quickly and hopefully get them all down before the heroes can get going.

Need to play it a few more times before I decide if it's balanced or not, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Thernström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah I agree that it can be played better, it's just that that encounter felt completly different from the others we played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Did the campaign as a whole tell a good, coherent story? I understand that each individual quest contains a good level of narrative, but do they all tie together to form one followable, over-arching story?

How were the line-of-sight rules? Did they seem ridiculous (i.e, shooting people who are obviously behind a wall) or did it seem quite natural?

Did the large monster movement rules mean that some large monsters could move ridiculously fast compared to their smaller brethren, or was this also okay in practice?

Did it seem that it was always better for the OL to choose a large monster for his open groups, as summoning one large monster is equal to summoning multiple small monsters?

Did the Necromancer take the Army of the Dead skill, and did it seem overpowered or just right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Thernström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Story wise it felt okey, act 1 ties into act 2, going to see how much the victories affect the final tomorrow but the plot points are there.

The line of sight rules did not pose a problem for us, they where not used that much but when they where it felt okey.

The large monsters earns a couple extra spaces, sometimes this meant that I as OL could catch up with heroes that thought that they had escaped so that point is a bit iffy, but when they started to think about the extra spaces the large monster occupied it became less of a problem.

I chose monsters depending on the objective, sometimes large monsters where the way to go but I mostly used smaller mosnter due to the larger group size, I think it comes down to play style of the OL but i found the flesh moulders realy useful.

He did not take that skill unfortunatly, but I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow and discuss the feelings on the skill with the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, let me ask a similar question. Since you only pick 3 Act 1 quests, was their an advantage to picking a certain act 1 quest over another, since I don't think the quests sound like they lean one way or another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roland mcdohl
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nearing completion. Do you think that when you finally finish with the campaign you will want to play again from the start?

During playing, is there any talking about making your own houserule to make the game more to your liking and/or talk about creating your own campaign? (If there is, would you share the general idea of what you were talking about)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Thernström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSumOne wrote:
Alright, let me ask a similar question. Since you only pick 3 Act 1 quests, was their an advantage to picking a certain act 1 quest over another, since I don't think the quests sound like they lean one way or another.

no the act 1 quests where purely picked on how fun they sounded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.