A Girl Has No Name
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So for those werewolfers that are in the Detroit(or Toledo!) area, or will be in that area on September 15th, Erin is gauging interest in a cryptic crawl to see if he is going to put one on this year.

They normally go about 4-6 hours, they aren't as long as Survivor, The Amazing Race, or The Mole. It CAN be done with as few as 1 person or as many as you want but the suggested amount is usually about a carful, 3-5. If more than that i would recomend two groups. Plus, then you can compete with your friends!

This one isn't going to be quite as difficult puzzlewise as some of his past ones(See my favorite-The Return of Shortfinger the Pirate) because he wanted it to be one that multiple teams can run on the same day. For Shortfinger we had 4 teams and had to run it on four separate Saturdays.

Anyway, it's an awesome time. Right now he only has two teams that have responded and i think he would need at least 4 teams before he puts it together. So if you or your friends are interested in a fun time solving puzzles for a day let us know!

I am going to post videos to two of his past crawls below. The first is The Return of Shortfinger the Pirate which is my favorite one he's ever done. This one will not be quite as involved as that one.

The second one is a Harry Potter cryptic crawl. This one was fun because you started the day in "Summer School" and attended classes such as arithmancy and Auror CSI. Then we were let loose on the world to solve an overarching puzzle.

I don't believe this one will have a theme like that, but it will be fun!

Please let me know if you are interested!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Girl Has No Name
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Return of Shortfinger the Pirate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Girl Has No Name
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hogwarts Summer School

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Girl Has No Name
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a sidenote, this year marks the 10th year Erin has been doing his games and puzzles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so jealous... too far away to participate, or I'd be there in a heartbeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Girl Has No Name
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also forgot to mention there is no charge for participation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Going to see what I can do about getting a team, or at least a car, so I can finagle my way onto someone else's team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a valiant, pungent reindeer king
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
mbmbmbmbmb
You should run one of these in WNY! I'd love to participate. We have a theoretical scavenger hunt but my sister in law did it last year and they were all riddles/trivia that you could google.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Girl Has No Name
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigafoos wrote:
You should run one of these in WNY! I'd love to participate. We have a theoretical scavenger hunt but my sister in law did it last year and they were all riddles/trivia that you could google.

yeah, every time I try and do something around here that he hasn't designed thats about what it ends up being. or it's "drive to this location, find an envelope and solve the puzzle on paper sitting in your car" which is ok for one or two things, but when the whole day is like that it feels like you could have just done it all sitting in someones living room.

This one IS going to be less thematic than the videos above, and easier than the pirate one, but it will still be more involved than a road rally kind of thing.

Every time Erin does one of his games or puzzles I am impressed wiht him all over again. I help out, but he does 99.9999% of the designing. i'm there as a sounding board and to help build things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a valiant, pungent reindeer king
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
mbmbmbmbmb
miraria wrote:

This. Is. Awesome.

I ran something like this for my family last year and I got really frustrated because they wanted everything handed to them. Watching this makes me want to do another one even though I swore I wouldn't waste my time again.

(fair warning: if I do, I'll probably steal the candle idea because holy shit.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Girl Has No Name
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigafoos wrote:
miraria wrote:

This. Is. Awesome.

I ran something like this for my family last year and I got really frustrated because they wanted everything handed to them. Watching this makes me want to do another one even though I swore I wouldn't waste my time again.

(fair warning: if I do, I'll probably steal the candle idea because holy shit.)

SEE?? This one is so awesome! There are so many reasons it's my favorite and the candle is one of them. This involved a puzzle doesn't happen that often though, because in JUST running it time, there was over 30 hours. He had to take an evening for each team and take the chest to a place where they could do the initial puzzle so they would even know where to show up on the day. And then since everything was buried on an island(really was an island with a bridge to walk to it-so thematic a location) the puzzle day had to be one team only. So basically it had to be run 4 separate times.

Did you watch the rest of it? I love Wee Pete. In fact his bones still rest in our house.

I love the one with the water and powder too. even though that one wasn't very difficult i just think it was neat and the result was cool.

Also, Erin would not mind you using any of these ideas. That i know. Just tell us how it works out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.