Subject: "Official" hand limit rule change rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be officially removing the hand limit rule from this game (if I am lucky enough to go into a second printing). Before I explain why, I ask for your understanding in my first major attempt at self-production. I honestly believe this is a fun game and I hope that this mistake does not tarnish the game's initial reputation (or mine--for that matter).

During production of this game, I realized there might be a potential problem with the hand limit rule when I played a protoype with some people who had exploited this rule (or, in a positive light, to use it strategically). Prior to production, I told my fellow play testers that the hand-limit rule was designed to simply to make sure that people traded in some 1s, so the 1s would not run out. Also, I thought it not very good for someone to hoard 1s and to use 15 of them (for example) during an auction. Playing with this spirit in mind, we did not try to use the rule to gain advantage.

Of course, this is my failure to recognize this strategic possibility in the rules as stated: a player could intentionally trade up simply to remove the 5s and 10s from the game. In fact, this is what someone did when I played with him--but after the game went into production. At that point, I said "Shoot, I may have made a mistake". I figured I would see how long it took before this possible problem arose...and it didn't take long at all, as raised in this thread: Confused about the card hand limit

Since I self-produced this game, I really did not want to come across as unprofessional. But, I made a mistake.

Fortunately, I think the mistake is easily corrected: ignore the hand-limit rule. In its place, I would simply say that if the pile of 1s, 2s or 3s runs out, players should trade up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Rekich
United States
Lyndora
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr. Finn, thanks very much for this clarification.

Please though do not think that this "mistake" will tarnish the reputation of you or your game! I would not even go so far as to call it a mistake. You simply found out that there was a slightly better way to play the game.

For what it is worth, I *really* liked my first play of the game, and in fact I am going to be playing the game for a second time in about 15 minutes.

I can't imagine anyone finding you unprofessional for what you label as a "mistake". Instead, the fact the you came here on BGG and clarified the situation in *less than 24 hours* shows all the hallmarks of professionalism and how much you care about the game and the people that bought it.

So I give 3 cheers to you, your games, and your consummate professionalism!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I appreciate it.

DeanMary wrote:
Dr. Finn, thanks very much for this clarification.

Please though do not think that this "mistake" will tarnish the reputation of you or your game! I would not even go so far as to call it a mistake. You simply found out that there was a slightly better way to play the game.

For what it is worth, I *really* liked my first play of the game, and in fact I am going to be playing the game for a second time in about 15 minutes.

I can't imagine anyone finding you unprofessional for what you label as a "mistake". Instead, the fact the you came here on BGG and clarified the situation in *less than 24 hours* shows all the hallmarks of professionalism and how much you care about the game and the people that bought it.

So I give 3 cheers to you, your games, and your consummate professionalism!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to echo Dean's remarks.

You have a solid game here with a minor issue. I'd love some more 5's and 10's but if need be we can just sticker some 1's, no big deal.

The fact that you came out and addressed this, coupled with the fact that "this" is a really minor issue with the production (and not gameplay), make me think that you have nothing to worry about.

I, for one, will be anxiously awaiting your next published design.

Thanks for two excellent games...and try not to worry about this "issue" too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Since I self-produced this game, I really did not want to come across as unprofessional. But, I made a mistake.

Honestly, to me, your saying "Oops, I made a mistake, here's a fix", comes across as much, much more professional than many game companies that stubbornly refuse to admit or acknowledge errors. It tells me that you care about the quality of the game and the experience of people playing it.

thumbsup to you Steve!

(I'm enjoying the game a lot, by the way!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rudolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the mistake on your part would be not releasing the game at all. I'm grateful that a game designer came come forward and say something was missed, especially when it changes how the game plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.