Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From Time:

Quote:

Isn’t it cute when women try to park their cars without their menfolk? The German town of Triberg has generously attempted to help out the ladies by labeling the spaces in a new car park with female and male symbols. The “female” spots are wider with lots of light, whereas the “male” spots are next to concrete pillars and can only be backed in to, according to the Daily Telegraph.

The mayor of the town said it was a natural decision, given that (of course) women find parking trickier than men do. “In the new car park, we found that two places were not rectangular, at an angle to the road and placed between walls and pillars,” Triberg Mayor Gallus Strobel told German newsmagazine Der Spiegel.  “That makes parking difficult, so we decided to allocate them to men.” Instead of, say, to motorcycles or subcompact cars.

He claims the move is not sexist because women are free to try parking in the trickier man spots, and that more spots — 10 — had been allocated for women than for men: 2. He also dismisses what he calls “humourless reactions from the politically correct.”

Unsurprisingly to everyone but Strobel, the move has caused a media firestorm. “I never expected this reaction,” said Strobel. “I’ve been on the phone all day, the TV will come. I am happy, and it looks like we’ve hit a raw nerve in society. It’s been a great marketing gimmick. Women can come here and prove me wrong, and while they’re at it, they can see the town’s attractions.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think that mayor is on the right path. here's a photo of Danica Patrick trying to park her race car:

Most men racers would have just driven it into the pit lane and parked it parallel to the wall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
I think that mayor is on the right path. here's a photo of Danica Patrick trying to park her race car:

Most men racers would have just driven it into the pit lane and parked it parallel to the wall.

That's not stereotypical or anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say that is something the east got right. They don't let their women drive. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think someone needs to go a step further and develop super difficult parking spots, where pros need to launch their cars off of ramps and flip with perfect timing to fit in. Maybe we can have gated spots too for the wealthy so that common-folk don't get too close to their cars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the status of that Times website, if they're legitimate or just crackpot, but I did read this story over on msnbc a few days ago.

Mayor claims it was more as a publicity thing, to get people to come to the city, and he's already had people drive over just to try out the difficult parking spots.

Quote:

Maybe we can have gated spots too for the wealthy so that common-folk don't get too close to their cars.

If it means they won't be taking up two spaces because they're worried their precious will get dinged, I'm all for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
We should definitely institute the "Dukes of Hazard" rules for driving. I mean if you can land that car upright, male or female, then dude, you rock. I'm SO with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPNOR wrote:

[quote]
Maybe we can have gated spots too for the wealthy so that common-folk don't get too close to their cars.
[/quote]

If it means they won't be taking up two spaces because they're worried their precious will get dinged, I'm all for it.

I've had my door dinged far more often than I've seen people using two spots. Just sayin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I park far away from everyone. The walking is good exercise. No dings on my car. My wife uses my car for a week and there are three fukcking dings from doors...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirenx wrote:
I think someone needs to go a step further and develop super difficult parking spots, where pros need to launch their cars off of ramps and flip with perfect timing to fit in. Maybe we can have gated spots too for the wealthy so that common-folk don't get too close to their cars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
I park far away from everyone. The walking is good exercise. No dings on my car. My wife uses my car for a week and there are three fukcking dings from doors...

I do what you do but it doesn't always work. I had a BRAND NEW truck and parked way out away from everyone. I came out of a movie and one car parked right beside me AND dinged my door. I was on a first date and she convinced me with some effort not to stay there and wait for the rat bastard to come out of the theater. Since then I've had about 20 door dings, three or four of which were in situations where nobody should have parked near me.

I quit caring nearly as much once my vehicle was a few years old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now now.. you should have been a gentleman and opened her door for her.

Really hard.

Several times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
This isn't something new for Germany. Usually in underground parking the lots near the exits are labelled "Frauenparkplätze" (Women's parking space). The intention behind this is to make these garages safer for women to use, so they won't have to walk long through a dark and deserted locality. Some of these parking lots also happen to be bigger.

I thought it was an urban myth that some are bigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The scrapes on my wing mirrors provided some evidence women have little regard for judging width. Us men should be thankful for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What fucktards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TL;DR for this thread: Chicks, huh? Amirite, guys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.