Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So is this one of those games where I'll have to pay an arm and a leg if I want to have a handful of different ships?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, tannhauser in space...

See where that got the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It´s not more expensive than compareable games with painted minis by any means.
Actually 26$ for a starter is a pretty good price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
Yep, tannhauser in space...

See where that got the game...

Love Tannhauser, though in Tannhauser you get more models in the core and Novgorod expansions to tell the truth.

I'd say this is more like Wings of War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
No more a money pit than these:

"Plastic Crack": My Top 10 Collectible Minis Games (CMG's)

And for that matter, I didn't even include non-CMG's like Wings of War: Miniatures, Tannhäuser, or any LCG. But yes, it will no doubt be a money pit and it's best to know that on the front end going in. Apparently it's not going to be a "collectible" format so you should know what you're getting in the expansion packs. It's more of the Living Card Game format where they'll suck you in with the starter set and then release the next 100 expansion supplement hoping you're a compleatist like me.

Will I get it knowing that? Most likely at least the starter set. I'm still a fan of Star Wars Miniatures: Starship Battles and I'm not sure this one will do anything more for me than that one already has. For my simple air-to-air combat, I'll stick with Axis & Allies Air Force Miniatures: Angels 20 (definitely a CMG) though that one certainly won't quench a thirst for Star Wars themed tactical combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say im still reeling a bit at the price for the expansion ships right now, but the starter set isnt too bad compared to a lot of board games where all you get is cardboard. Its only going to cost me £5 more than carcasonne did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so surprised when I see people shocked at the price of the "expansion" units in the game.

Are many of you new to table-top miniatures gaming? I've become accustomed to paying $20 for a few unpainted, unassembled little guys for even the supposedly affordable systems like Kings of War, etc... (nevermind Game's Workshop stuff).

Fantasy Flight, and I can't believe i'm saying this, actually prices very competitively, and once online game-store discounts kick in, can be relatively cheap.

Axis and Allies will sell blind booster packs of ONE plane for Axis and Allies: Angels 20, for $8-9, while the same will get you a specific ship for X-wing.

PLUS X-wing ships are packed with multiple pilot cards, extending their actual play value.

Wings of Glory, Wings of War, Axis and Allies, etc... are all priced at the same point, or higher, and they don't have a monster of a licensing fee built in, as Star Wars is sure to command.

I think what is throwing people though, is that this game will end up being best played with 3-5 ships, versus 3-5 ships, based on tournament points thus far. As such, you'll get a lot out of a few purchases.

I picked up two starter sets, and one of each expansion (each of which comes with THREE pilot cards), and that will let me field twice the number of ships as a tournament scale game probably should, and will let me do so with a mountain of options for how those units actually play. All that ran me about $90 shipped... which frankly is a bargain for this kind of title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
So is this one of those games where I'll have to pay an arm and a leg if I want to have a handful of different ships?

Yes.

As are ALL collectible miniature games. This has the advantage of not being a 'blind' collectible game where you don't know what's coming in the booster pack (I'm looking at you Star Trek: Tactics!).

You are free to not buy it or try to get it off eBay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red herring.

Boardgaming is the money pit.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:
Red herring.

Boardgaming is the money pit.

ninja

Some more than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Money pit? Sounds refreshing. Can I dive around in it like a porpoise, and burrow through it like a gopher, and toss it up and let it hit me on the head?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.