Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mauricio Vives
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The title basically says it all: will the conversion kit support the heroes from DungeonQuest? I saw someone implying it would not support them, but that seems strange to me.

Also, what does the conversion kit need from the first edition? Just the plastic, or something else? It seems like you could use any relevant figures (like D&D minis) to substitute, and have a better variety of heroes and monsters.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it does include the Dungeon Quest Heroes and no it does not "need" anything at all from 1st Edition, any suitable proxy would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never played DungeonQuest so I'm not sure which heroes we're discussing here but, the conversion kit covers all heroes released for Descent 1st Edition. If the heroes from DungeonQuest were not ported to Descent, then no, it will not be available.

In regards to what 1st Edition items are needed. The plastic is the only thing that is not included. As you said though, that's easily solved by proxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Vives
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unclechawie wrote:
I never played DungeonQuest so I'm not sure which heroes we're discussing here but, the conversion kit covers all heroes released for Descent 1st Edition. If the heroes from DungeonQuest were not ported to Descent, then no, it will not be available.

DQ comes with Descent cards for the DQ heroes.

Thanks for the (really fast) answers, folks. Looks like the conversion kit is a good buy for variety.

On a related note, the base game seems to have a lot of redundancy in the figures, e.g. the red spider appears to be physically identical to the white one. (I never liked that in MMOs, e.g. a lvl 50 wolf is just a palette-swap of a lvl 1 wolf!) So why is the red spider the same as the white one, just to save on manufacturing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most likely. Including 12 (or whatever) different sculpts of monsters and including 24 different sculpts of monsters would set the price of the game at a very different level, I'd imagine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It *is* the same creature, just the master version of it.

As for the kit, I don't think it will come with any cardboard, so the Heroes who come with familiars you would use their same tokens from 1sta Ed (or a suitable proxy).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Beck
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Electronic Eremite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

As for the kit, I don't think it will come with any cardboard, so the Heroes who come with familiars you would use their same tokens from 1sta Ed (or a suitable proxy).

-shnar

I was under the impression it would come with resized tiles for the 1st edition maps. Is this not accurate?

With some research it seems I was grossly mistaken. Grrr... I hope that the 2nd edition has a good amount of maps and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baelthazar wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

I was under the impression it would come with resized tiles for the 1st edition maps. Is this not accurate?

With some research it seems I was grossly mistaken. Grrr... I hope that the 2nd edition has a good amount of maps and such.

Yes, it only comes with Hero cards and Monster cards, nothing else. The baese game does have a good number of quests (over 20 I think).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Vives
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

Shouldn't the "master" creature be bigger, and maybe look different? (e.g. better armor and weapons) Perhaps it makes sense in the Descent background.

Indeed, the difference between 12-ish and 24 sculpts is pretty big, when it comes to cost, so I understand that issue. It's just advertised as having 24 monster figures, which really should be qualified. In fact, looking at an unboxing video, I think I count only 8 unique monsters / sculpts! (is that right?)

If I painted figures, I could make them look different, but I don't paint. Perhaps I will find substitutes from Ravenloft. I think the scale is about the same.

EDIT: Correction... the rule book mentions 9 unique sculpts: zombie, goblin, spider, flesh moulder, barghest, ettin, elemental, merriod, dragon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Master version of a monster is just cast in Red Plastic instead of white, with an improved stat card.

EDIT: If you really want to have differing figures for masters without having to paint them, I would suggest looking up D&D miniatures on the secondary market like Ebay.
As long as you got figures the same base size as the ones you were replacing that would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Beck
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Electronic Eremite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
baelthazar wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Yes, it only comes with Hero cards and Monster cards, nothing else. The baese game does have a good number of quests (over 20 I think).

-shnar

I guess I shouldn't complain. For $16, I get the heroes from two $30+ expansions I didn't buy for edition 1. It just sucks I never got around to playing all the edition 1 quests, but 4+ hours was hard to swing with my infrequent gaming group (and impossible with the wife). The wife will certainly like 1 off quests that are around an hour or so long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that the conversion kit is not designed to upgrade your 1st ed game, just convert the figures to 2e standards. If you want to play 2e, you need to buy 2e.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Beck
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Electronic Eremite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
Keep in mind that the conversion kit is not designed to upgrade your 1st ed game, just convert the figures to 2e standards. If you want to play 2e, you need to buy 2e.

Naturally!

What I meant was, that I get to use the heroes I don't own in 1st Ed in Second Ed with suitable plastic proxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.