Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small as a birthday present for my wife Sarah. We've played four times so far and she likes it so much she wrote her first review. She doesn't have a BGG account, so I'm posting it on her behalf

It’s all the parts I like about regular Agricola (the animals), with all the annoying parts taken away. The uncomplicated scoring system (more animals=more points), fixed number of “field hands”, and addition of horses (yay!), make this game so much more fun and much shorter than the original game.

The thing I find most annoying about regular Agricola is how ugly the winner’s farm usually looks. I hate seeing someone with a stone house and loads of feral children, but hardly any animals or crops, destroy people with the prettiest farms. This doesn’t happen in Agricola Animals! In this game the prettiest farm wins every time.

The only reason I played regular Agricola in the first place, was that we got cute little animal pieces from Target to replace the cubes. The animal version has lovely animal shaped pieces. These are not quite as good, but they are much better than cubes and make building my farm fun.

And even better still, there’s no eating the animals! I know lots of people who would think this is a minus, but since you don’t have to feed anyone, it doesn’t matter. Your three farm hands are hardy enough to fend for themselves.

With the simplified scoring system and game play, I don’t have to spend any time wondering what my next move might be. I can just get more animals! No more scrambling to breed, deciding to use cards, or waiting for an action to come up. All the actions are available from the start of the game. Of course, you have to build enough space for your animals to live safely. But once you do, you can easily multiply how many animals fit by building troughs. You can even keep an extra pet animal in your house if you upgrade to the timber house.

All these things lead to a satisfying game, that probably doesn’t even take an hour to build a beautiful farm full of cute animals. It is a game I will play almost any time, and there aren’t very many of those. Now I just have to wait patiently for the Alpaca expansion.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
More info about these animeeples from Target, please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
More info about these animeeples from Target, please!

Hehe, long gone I suspect. They were perfect though - bags of plastic sheep, pigs, cows, horses and chickens in the dollar bin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
[Even] in their poverty, they referred to their garden of necessity as if it were a hobby.
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
And even better still, there’s no eating the animals!
LOL! This part of original Agricola is something that my daughter also has taken issue with. Instead of 'cooking' her animals, she sends them to 'the place where they live and die in peace' and for doing so, she magically receives food to feed her family with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Fawcett
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
badge
There's just one kind of favor I'll ask for you - you can see that my grave is kept clean
mbmbmbmbmb
Great little review, thanks very much. thumbsup for you and thumbsup for your wife (or should it be the other way around). I have printed it off for my own wife to read. Whilst she has an account (she's diamondskylucy) she does not really use it. I have been looking for someone to write something like this, since my wife is not a huge fan of Agricola (plays under protest and prefers Le Havre), but I want to buy this 2-player adaption. Now I have some leverage to use in the argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! I plan to get this game as an intro to Agricola for me and my wife, and your views solidify my decision!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
someotherguy wrote:
"The place where they live and die in peace" is the butcher shop and the food he "gives you in return" is the ground burger and steaks he made your cows into.

Have you got kids?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Now I just have to wait patiently for the Alpaca expansion.

P-Deck, perhaps?

Martin, it's really not fair that Sarah does all the hard work and you rake in the geekgold. Also, if she doesn't use BGG, what's this "10" she's talking about? For all we know, she rates games in mod 17 or something...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There are llamas (as Monty Python jokes / references) in the Agricola: The Legen*dairy Forest-Deck expansion. Not alpacas exactly, but maybe they'd make her happy still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
h00sha wrote:
qwertymartin wrote:
LOL! This part of original Agricola is something that my daughter also has taken issue with. Instead of 'cooking' her animals, she sends them to 'the place where they live and die in peace' and for doing so, she magically receives food to feed her family with.

Ah, but this requires magic and does not explain why FIREPLACES are required. If I may:

Animals are being shown in competitions at fairs near and far. When they win (which they do, because we raise such great animals), we can trade them for food from other farmers and bakers and such. Naturally, we are trading them to other loving families that will keep them as pets in their homes. And of course the fireplace is necessary! Where else would we display our trophies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:

Next year's birthday present: Machu Pichhu and a set of homebrew rules designed by Martin for an alpaca expansion using the llameeples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarah is very excited that her review has been so well received, thanks all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Sarah is very excited that her review has been so well received, thanks all

Irony, delicious irony! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Norris
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good review full of insights. She needs her own account so she too can be a geek girl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
h00sha wrote:
qwertymartin wrote:

I think most adults apply this philosophy pretty well too.
What would we do if there weren't people who could take care of these things for miles and miles away from us so we don't have to see it or think about it. We can just ignore it! .

What about the practically slave labor products we all wear. I like to pretend they just appear at the store magically all neat, clean, tidy, and cheap just for me ! Helps me continue to be apathetic the real key to happiness in life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like my wife might like this game ! Thanks for the review...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara S
United States
Palmer
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this review - cute and concise.

So far most of my game group likes Agricola but it's such a brain-burner it doesn't get played as often as I'd like. And as much as most of us enjoy the heavier gaming aspects of Agricola, your wife hit on the head one of the more enjoyable aspects of it encapsulated in this version: animeeples and making nice farms. It's highly satisfying and nice to be able to relax a bit to do just that with barely a fraction of the panic of regular Agricola.

Also a great point that the animals aren't eaten/turned into food. I do know a couple people who won't play Agricola or are hesitant because of this. Maybe I can get them to play ACBS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.