Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state:
"The remainder is awarded to the Republicans if they have any PCFs in that state, then the Northern Democrats if they have any..."

However, the example says that only the Republicans and Southern Democrats have PCFs in New Jersey. Yet, the remaining vote goes to the Northern Democrats.
Why?

(Also, I realize that tied parties are supposed to place PCFs on the state card to indicate the number of votes they get from New Jersey. But saying in the example that "both parties are awarded 3 PCFs [instead of "3 votes"] is rather misleading.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bagosy
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is because of the proportional voting system in New Jersey. At the time, New Jersey awarded votes not based upon who had won the state, or indeed who had won in specific districts, but, confusingly, based upon the total number of votes cast. As a result, parties that were not necessarily winning in several areas might nevertheless be awarded Electoral Votes if they had, for instance, gained a certain percentage of the vote of the entire public electorate.

So, perhaps the Northern Democrats didn't win the state, but they polled 25% of the total population, which, under the New Jersey system, allowed them to take a percentage of the electoral pie.

As such, the votes are divided proportionally when New Jersey is tied. The Southern Democrats can win New Jersey outright, but they must do so without a tie. This is because the Southern Democrats faced a very stiff battle in New Jersey against Stephen Douglas, who campaigned heavily there. As such, because of this, and because many New Jersey Democrats favored Stephen Douglas (rather than the Vice President), the game rules assume historical trends and that the Southerners will have to put in serious effort to win New Jersey rather than simply being able to pick up a piece of the electoral whole. Notably, New Jersey is the only state besides Missouri where Douglas won any Electoral Votes.

As for the terminology - it appears that my words were changed. Yes, votes should be awarded, NOT PCFs.

-Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Alex, but I'm still confused. I must be daft.

From the example, I still don't understand how the Northern Democrats can get the 1 leftover vote with no PCFs whatsoever in New Jersey, when the rules clearly state that a party must have a least one PCF in New Jersey to be eligible to received leftover votes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bagosy
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Thanks Alex, but I'm still confused. I must be daft.

From the example, I still don't understand how the Northern Democrats can get the 1 leftover vote with no PCFs whatsoever in New Jersey, when the rules clearly state that a party must have a least one PCF in New Jersey to be eligible to received leftover votes.

No, you aren't daft. I am grateful that you're taking the time to ask, rather than assuming that the game is "too hard to play" or "poorly written" and giving up:)

Let me take a look at my copy of the rules as printed when I get home this evening and I'll see if I can reason out a response to you to clarify things.

-Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

In the meantime (i.e. tonight) I'll play by the rule and not the example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Alex, not to be annoying, but did you ever make a ruling on this issue?

I only ask, because we actually had it come up in our most recent game.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.