Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished my first MNB:GW game today. Was to be a 3 player game but was 2 player instead. My opponent opted for a Falklands style Uk vs Argentina battle. Fun game which I will definitely play again but.... I feel like he lost because he ran out of ships to reinforce with. What are your suggestions for counter-acting this. I'm guessing the Campaign game missions will do away with the problem entirely but...

Just limit the number of VPs you have to reinforce with? Did I miss a rule about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
You can reduce the starting fleet VPs for smaller nations. There is also the MNB-Ship Expansion that adds ships to every fleet.

The upcoming Campaign Expansion also adds ships to every fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dan.
I've ordered MNB expansion 1 from NWS & preordered the Campaign Expansion from you. It looks like a real winner and next time I play MNB (which I hope will be before the late October release of Campaigns) I plan to use ideas from your Campaign rules to design a scenario.

We used 21 points but that was probably still too much.

Can you recommend a basic intro book on the subject?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Argentine fleet is probably the most limitted in the starting game and has the trouble of running out of ships in games of >15 VP.

With Expansion 1 it becomes a reasonable 25 VP fleet..
(esp with the 25 de Mayo)

With Expansion 2 it becomes a bit better - and includes more Argentine ships for the Falklands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Greenspan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have this nice list someone drew up for 2 player games

Other nations/fleets like India have been added

Nation: 25VP game 15VP game
US: 25VP 15VP
Soviet: 23VP 14VP
Chinese: 21VP 13VP
Japanese: 19VP 12VP
UK: 18VP 12VP
French: 17VP 12VP
Taiwanese: 16VP 11VP
Norwegian: 13VP 11VP
Argentine: 10VP 9VP

what might be a good VP value for them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using all the expansion fleets IMO:

For a 25 VP starting fleet - for India to win it needs aquire 22 VP
for a 15 VP starting fleet - for India to win it needs aquire 13 VP

After playing both the Chinese and Indian Fleets a fair bit recently (they are my favourites) I think that the Indian fleet is marginally better than the Chinese.

In the Campaign system - for anything but a short Campaign - I think that the Chinese fleet is better because it has more ship cards.

As to the balance of all the fleets since the original game came out..
What have others been finding?

I've played the French and Italian fleets - both were fun..
but still not in the Big League (ie US/USSR/China/India)

I haven't tried a German fleet more than once or twice - looking at all the ships I think it is about on par with the Norwegian fleet, both of which I think are now better than the Taiwanese (that AD makes a big difference).

Heres how I would rate the nations (please feel free to disagree)

Super Powers:
US, USSR, China, India
(more than 1 ship with Cruise Missiles, good mix of ships)
(apart from the USA the next strongest fleet is debatable in 15 VP games I think it is India. In 25VP games it is either China or Russia)

Powers:
Japan/UK
(a ship or submarine with CM Japan being better due to CM being on a ship and loads of cheap AD)

Minor powers:
France/Italy/Norway/Germany/Argentine/Taiwan/Canada
(in order of capabilities)

my best guess about the VP difference between the nations to balance a two player game (more than 2 players will see the strongest picked on by all of the rest...)

Nation: 25VP game 15VP game
US: 25VP 15VP
Soviet: 22VP 13VP
Chinese: 22VP 13VP
India: 21VP 13VP
Japanese: 19VP 12VP
UK: 18VP 12VP
French: 17VP 12VP
Italian: 17VP 12VP
Norwegian: 16VP 11VP
German: 16VP 11VP
Argentine: 16VP 11VP
Taiwanese: 15VP 10VP
Canada: 12VP 9VP

anyone else want to have a go at balancing a two player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ps. If the campaign optional rule that limits the number of defensive cards to the number of ships then that changes everthing..
Well not quite everything - Canada is still by far the weekest..
It does give a boost to fleets with lots of 1 and 2 VP ships - especial 1VP ships eg A69 Cvt and FAC(m).
It also boost fleets with Good AD ships - especially teh Aegis and Aegis-Lite ships.
It does take some of the edge off the USA and it's two CC ships.. as it is unlikely that they would have (at least initially) a large number of ships - still they get to choose the best cards and they have Aegis....

pps.
If the campaign ammunition rule is also used then the Soviets get a bit of a boost - their capital ships become more cost effective as even when out of CM's they usually have other attacks (eg AS).
But... submarines become even less value for VP....

Your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.