Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Howard
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I'm currently in the process of trying to balance the potential resources that are available to each player throughout a game I am desinging with how many victory points are available. I was wondering if people had any tips for this?

Is it a good idea to establish how much on average a victory point should cost in resources based on how many resources are available overall through the game?

Or perhaps I could establish all the prices of VPs first and then tailor the number of resources accordingly?

Is this even a good question?

Just hoping some of your collective wisdom and experience might be able to help!

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would find a game in which resources have a roughly fixed conversion to VP's boring (eg Stone Age). Meatier games have exponential resource growth. Conversion to VP's comes at the cost of decreasing your growth coefficient (eg Steam, Princes of Florence).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChowYunBrent wrote:

Is it a good idea to establish how much on average a victory point should cost in resources based on how many resources are available overall through the game?

One key to recognize is that in rsource/victory point games a typical winning strategy requires targeting resources early and victory points late (e.g., Dominion, Roll Through the Ages, St. Petersburg), with the strategic decision being when to switch from resources to victory points. One way to make the game less programmed is to change the cost (or value) of victory points as the game progresses, so grabbing early victory points becomes a reasonable alternative strategy (e.g., Luna). It also helps to have a game vary in the cost of resources per victory point, so that a player has to look at the play of a game rather than a pre-calcualted value to determine the appropriate rate of exchange (e.g., Goa, where the amount of money in play increases if players use the tax option and decreases if players win their own auctions.)

Edited to fix quote format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M J
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we need to know abit more about your game to give you some more advice,

is the game more in the style of ticket to ride (VP does not influence your income)

or more of a setlers of Cataan where expaning means more VP relates to growth

or perhaps something among the lines of dominion where VP counter your prodcution

perhaps something else entirely: i know a couple of games where your cost of growth is based on the VP of opponents.

A couple of games work with inflation: the price of a VP is a given faction of money made by all players combined, and as incomes goes up, so does the price of VP so i suppose it is a perfectly reasonable thing to do

Another popular trick using an application of inflation is in thunderstone : a lvl 1 fighters costs, 7 gold, but once they run out instead level 2 fighters can be purchased for 9 gold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Howard
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. This is all really interesting, I hadn't considered the possibilities of the resource costs of VPs being flexible to the game state.

Just to provide a bit more information. I guess the way resources and VPs relate in my game is similar to Catan. To be more explicit, each player has say 3 means of production, lets call them factories. Each factory corresponds to a different resource. He can then use resources to upgrade these 3 factories. Upgrading factories earns small VPs and more production capability. In addition, VPs must be 'attached' to these factories. The more upgraded the factory is, the more slots it has available for VPs.

I hope that has made things a bit clearer. Any thoughts?

I do like the idea of making earlier VPs more valuable so as not to make the gameplay programmed.

Thanks for your help guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think it would help to list the major strategies players can follow and compare VP collection for each one.

In Catan you can, for example, pay 5 resources to upgrade a town to a city. This gives you 2-3 extra resources options and 1 VP. Alternatively you can pay 4 resources to get a new town which gives you 2-3 extra resources. Because both strategies (getting a new town/city) are comparable they give the same amount of VPs. The cards are different though. They help you in different ways but there are also VP cards in there. The idea is that spending resources for cards should net you the same amount of VP on average as going for the other strategies.

So, I don't know what strategies are viable in your game. Maybe you should compare building new factories to upgrading existing ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChowYunBrent wrote:

I would have throught this question was meaningless unless you knew how many victory points there were in total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Howard
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apeloverage wrote:
ChowYunBrent wrote:

I would have throught this question was meaningless unless you knew how many victory points there were in total.

I see what you are saying, but setting a cost would would also allow me to work out how many VPs there were. The number of them is irrelevant I think.

I guess I'm not sure what I was after with this thread. Different ways of relating VPs to resources I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.