Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of Tovak's skill cards. Does another player receive a wound when he plays any other colour of mana crystal from his inventory or any other colour of mana token that is not taken from the source? What if a player takes the designated colour on the Mana Exploit skill but then changes the colour using Polarization?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The text is pretty clear:

MANA EXPLOIT
Once a Round: Choose a color other than gold and gain a mana token of that color. Put the Skill token in the center and mark it with a second token of that color. Until the start of your next turn, other players get a Wound when they use mana of any other color on their turn, limit one Wound per color for each player (if they use gold, count it as the color it is used for). Then take this token back and flip it.

They get a Wound when they use mana. It doesn't matter where the mana comes from.

If you use red mana as blue, with Polarization, I think that counts as blue for Mana Exploit, although it's not absolutely clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esto wrote:
This is one of Tovak's skill cards. Does another player receive a wound when he plays any other colour of mana crystal from his inventory or any other colour of mana token that is not taken from the source? What if a player takes the designated colour on the Mana Exploit skill but then changes the colour using Polarization?

The text of Arythea's Polarization skill is:

"You can use one mana as a mana of the opposite color"

So, if Arthea "Uses a red mana as blue mana", I would say that she "Used red", not that she "Used blue".

Probably worth an official ruling, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
Captain_Physics wrote:
Esto wrote:

The text of Arythea's Polarization skill is:

"You can use one mana as a mana of the opposite color"

So, if Arthea "Uses a red mana as blue mana", I would say that she "Used red", not that she "Used blue".

Probably worth an official ruling, however.

That would be my inclination as well. If you want to adjust a screw, and you "use a knife as a screwdriver," you actually used a knife. I wouldn't say that you used a screwdriver.

(Edit: I think David's argument below makes more sense.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did read the same text (for Polarization) and consider that argument before expressing my opinion. And I did say it's not entirely clear.

But the fact that using gold mana as blue mana counts as blue, not gold, for the purpose of Mana Exploit, was the primary thing that led me to my conclusion. If "using X as Y" counted as X, then using gold mana as blue would count against Mana Exploit as gold, not blue.

It could be that the case of gold mana is treated one way and the case of Polarization, although superficially similar, is treated a different way. That's just not what I would guess the intent to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
Good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to a ruling here, because to me, the fact that they explicitly spell out how to handle a gold mana, tells me that using Blue mana as Red counts as using blue. The Blue mana is what is consumed, we're just using it to pay a red cost.

Paul?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find myself mostly on the fence. If I had to make a ruling right now I would probably go with David's "using X as Y" logic, but with a very high degree of uncertainty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting discussion. Just to confirm ---- when the card says to take a "second token of that color" to mark it, it means to take that token from the bank & not from the mana Source. I hope that's correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esto wrote:
Very interesting discussion. Just to confirm ---- when the card says to take a "second token of that color" to mark it, it means to take that token from the bank & not from the mana Source. I hope that's correct.

Since there aren't any mana tokens in the Source, I'd say that's a certainty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esto wrote:

Mana tokens are the plastic crystal like things; the source has mana dice. Mana tokens can represent either temporary mana tokens or permanent mana crystals, depending on where in front of the player they are placed.

For expedience most players will take the die from the source and use it as 'a' mana token, when they use source dice for mana, but mana dice are not technically mana tokens.

In the case of the one used to mark, the token is just a reminer of the selected color, not useable mana.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.