Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started replaying DG, since I have picked up the resurgence map pack since playing through it the first time. I'm trying to figure out *how* I should play through the game. The first time through, I finished most if not all of the maps without losing any cores, though in some cases without getting the gold medal (it seems like the margin between silver and gold is razor thin compared to bronze and silver!).

With so many different variants on the maps, I don't know what I should try. I was thinking of doing the Story Challenge without losing any cores, but I'm having trouble with Fire Control...I've restarted a few times but haven't found a setup that works very well, and it's getting frustrating, so I might tone it down. Maybe I should do the normal Story mode without losing cores? Or maybe try a completely different mode altogether.

The checkpoints seem like a blessing and a curse...being able to go back a few waves to tweak things is great since you don't have to start the map all over again, but you can never be sure that what you did in the early parts of the level is a good enough foundation for the later stages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I had this feeling during my first and only playthrough - the game offers very little "saving graces" and promotes figuring out a single strategy and going with it throughout the whole game. That's what I found a bit lackluster about it. I was hoping for a more "experiment to see what works and build upon that knowledge during each level with something to save your butt on-hand" approach - the Ion Cannon/Laser thingy fills out that last spot, but I found it wasn't enough in some situations.

Generally speaking, this game was far too rigid and "structured" for a Tower Defense, at least in my opinion. I'm a big fan of the Ant Buster http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/378646 solution - give the player a bazillion options over one level and let him explore. I always felt that for Defense Grid, there was a handful of working strategies, and if you wanted to try anything else, you failed. Pretty much like Diablo 2 vs Titan Quest in this regard - the "play efficiently or you won't have fun" vs "hey, if you screw up, you can always try something radically different" divide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Roth
Germany
Wistedt
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing DG for the first time, I had some problems with some of the levels and therefore watched some walkthrough videos. One guy sometimes only used cannons, which sure worked, but kinda felt pretty lame, to just use one single tower thtoughout the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just did a few levels on regular story mode, and they're way too easy. No happy medium here! At least it's making me feel smart and powerful, crushing the enemies before they even get close, rather than stupid and wimpy, when I can't figure out a layout that will keep all my cores safe.

I always find it odd when games like this reward you for doing well; if you hold off on spending resources, you'll accumulate resources more quickly. It seems odd that the game should be rewarding players who are playing well enough that they don't need to spend everything they have to keep from losing cores! I think it would be better if the game rewarded you for close calls -- a good player could push his luck, letting cores get nabbed and near the entrance, while a player who isn't doing so well would get such a bonus without trying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.