Memoir '44» Forums » General

Subject: How do you play artillery range? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre-Yves Caron
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first started playing Memoir, I used artillery as mentionned in the rules with a range of 3 3 2 2 1 1.

Then, I found a post on BGG mentionning a mofidied range being 1 2 3 3 2 1, meaning artillery have an effective range of 3-4 hexes but are somewhat less dangerous when you are far away or really close by.

I only played with this second range for quite a while thinking it was more representative of what artillery can do.

Then I started wondering, how about everybody else? Do they know about this modified range, do they use the original one or even a different one?

So, how do you play artillery range?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3-3-2-2-1-1 is how to play standard artillery
3-3-2-2-1-1-1-1 is how to play Big Guns

Anything else that does not have a card in the compendium is a house rule.

Play the way you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play by the official rules.

With the addition of expansions, though, there are all sorts of different 'Artillery' units with different ranges and firepower. Check out the rules for Big Anti-Tank Guns and the Rocket Launchers! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there are so many examples of arty in wwII causing massive causalties when firing over open sights into enemy units in close range to them. offical histories from every theater contain them. Just remember when arty units fire far away they are relying on a spotter to call in the fire (the arty crews cant see their targets) but when firing in close over open sights every gun crew can pin point their target, and can make sure the rounds land in the middle of a group of targets)

(also another thing to remember is even though the unit may be next to the arty unit, this could still represent a couple of miles depending on the scale of the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.