United Kingdom
Oakham
Rutland
flag msg tools
badge
Roll and Muse
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Is anyone aware of any board gamers or groups in or around the Oakham/Rutland area?

I recently moved to Rutland for work and in the process lost access to my regular gaming buddies, so am on the lookout for a new group.

I've done a search and found a few local BGG-ers, but they've not been active for at least three years, so don't hold too much hope there.

Any one else out there? Any leads will be much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Frowde
United Kingdom
Oakham
Rutland
flag msg tools
badge
Roll and Muse
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if resurrecting an old post, or replying to one's self are considered faux-pas here, but I felt it better than starting a new thread.

Its been two and a half years since I last posted a call for fellow Rutland/Oakham gamers, but the general boardgaming scene seems to have evolved somewhat since, so I'm hoping that I might have more luck now.

I have found a monthly group near Peterborough, but the cost and travel-restraints of getting there and home are prohibitive; and I can occasionally convince a few friends from work to come around for a light gaming session, but I would really like to find some more regular opposition.

Therefore, are there any fellow BGG-ers or groups active in the Oakham/Rutland area, or anyone nearby interested in getting involved starting one up? Any leads will be very much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lula Pops
msg tools
Hi there, My boyfriend and I live in Scraptoft, in Leicestershire, not too far away from Oakham/Rutland, we regularly play games and are always looking for more people to game with.

Would be quite happy to look into setting a board gaming group up, we can both drive so transportation between Leicester and Rutland should be no problem. I've added you on Twitter, I'll PM you my email address if you wish to speak about this any further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Frowde
United Kingdom
Oakham
Rutland
flag msg tools
badge
Roll and Muse
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

Thank you for the response. So pleased to hear from another local gamer! It would be good to chat to see if we can organise an opportunity to meet up and play some games soon. I shall fire you over a PM and we can discuss further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul naylor
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
hi all, I also live in leicester and would be interested in meeting up to play games.

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Frowde
United Kingdom
Oakham
Rutland
flag msg tools
badge
Roll and Muse
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Paul, thanks for the reply. It's looking like there may be some local gamers after all!

I've sent some PM's to try and get something organised soon.

Duncan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul naylor
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
Hi lula pops, another Leicester gamer here. I have also spoken to Duncan. Would be nice to organise a gaming night with you.
Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul naylor
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
thats a good selection you have there. ,ime is also a good size but only have 5-6 same as you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flux
United Kingdom
Cropwell Bishop
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tally Ho!
mbmbmb
Would you be prepared to travel to Nottingham? Its about an hours drive to the city centre.

We have regular meet ups, there is at least one event a week, if so have a look at the FANG guild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Buxton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Duncan I live in Oakham. I'm a recent convert to board gaming, having been more of a wargamer in the past. Would be good to have a games session sometime!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul naylor
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
we seem to be everywhere. great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Frowde
United Kingdom
Oakham
Rutland
flag msg tools
badge
Roll and Muse
mbmbmbmbmb
@Chris: Thank you for letting me know, but Nottingham is a bit far for me, as I don't drive and would therefore have to rely on the train.

@Ben: Hello Ben, thank you for replying. So glad to hear that there is at least one other Oakham gamer!

I shall PM you shortly, but I've been looking at options for hosting a gaming session in the next few weeks (possibly in time for Halloween). Hopefully we'll all have an opportunity to meet up for some games soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert-John Edwards
United Kingdom
Oakham
Rutland
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Duncan,

I'm around Oakham too (Whissendine)... I don't get out much due to a ridiculous work schedule and a small child but I'd be up for some decent gaming.... do you have any particular games in mind??

Rob

DuncanFx wrote:
Hi all,

Is anyone aware of any board gamers or groups in or around the Oakham/Rutland area?

I recently moved to Rutland for work and in the process lost access to my regular gaming buddies, so am on the lookout for a new group.

I've done a search and found a few local BGG-ers, but they've not been active for at least three years, so don't hold too much hope there.

Any one else out there? Any leads will be much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Frowde
United Kingdom
Oakham
Rutland
flag msg tools
badge
Roll and Muse
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rob,

Apologies that I've not replied sooner, I too am swamped at work and home right now.

Thank you for replying and letting us know that there is another gamer in the local area, you'd be more than welcome to join us if we do sort out a gaming session. I am generally up for trying any game when I get the chance, but I do tend to lean towards family strategy games or light euros. My collection does cover a wide spectrum however - have a look at my profile page if you want an idea of the kind of thing.

I've been trying to find a suitable time to arrange a gaming session where we all might be able to get together (family and work commitments are crazy for me at the end of the year), and may have finally found a possible option - the weekend of 29th-30th November, hosted at my home in Oakham. I shall find time later this evening to fire GMs around to everyone who has shown interest above to gauge interest/availability, but it would be great to be able to organise something this side of the New Year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert-John Edwards
United Kingdom
Oakham
Rutland
flag msg tools
mb
HI Duncan

Likewise on the work front....

29th/30th may be a little tricky. I know I am working on the 30th, for definite. I'll have a look at 29th and discuss with the lady of the house regarding childcare!

Gameswise... I have ALL sorts from Carcassonne, Agricola and the Village to things like Twilight Struggle, Axis and Allies, Memoir 44 and Tide of Iron through to more vintage brilliance such as Moviemaker (classic!!), Hotel, various Monopolies and Cluedos and so on!

Let's see what we can achieve! If not before Xmas then certainly afterwards!

Cheers!

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Marriage
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey folks, i'm going to be moving down to Oakham in about a months time as I've just been offered a job in the area and would love to get in on some board gaming action as I too will have to leave my current regular group behind (I tried stuffing them all into a suitcase but they just wouldn't stop complaining)

So if there are any groups, or individuals, that would like to meet up at some point in the nearish future and play, just let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cooknell
England
flag msg tools
Hi, I realise this thread is a bit old, but I live in Melton and would be interested in getting together with anyone in the Melton/Rutland area. I've got a decent selection of games if it helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Frowde
United Kingdom
Oakham
Rutland
flag msg tools
badge
Roll and Muse
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Realising it is nearly 5 years since I originally posted this thread looking for local gamers to Oakham/Rutland, and three years since I then resurrected it and failed to organise any real action on those of you who so kindly replied (due to life seriously getting in the way - sorry), I'm back again!

Since that last request, a small group of friends and I have managed to maintain a fairly regular (if ad-hoc) schedule of meetups to play over the past few years, and have recently begun a Facebook group highlighting some of our game nights and sharing photos, in an attempt to attract and engage with any gamers local to Oakham/Rutland.

The group can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/109382422936792/

We're very open to welcoming and meeting local gamers who might be interested in joining us on occasion or simply discussing the hobby. So if any of you should be active here now, or come across this thread in the future, please feel free to drop me a message here, or join the FB group and say hello.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.