Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Unanswered Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had posted two questions recently: one in the body of a session report and on in the Kingsport forums. Both questions received two answers each. Both answers contradicted each other. So I'm hoping to get either a clearer answer or a consensus on how to handle these situations.

Question 1: Endurance Skill Card

Endurance adds one success to your total successes in combat. If the character was reduced to 0 dice, would he still be able to use the Skill for one free success?

Question 2: Epic Battle Card Timing

The rule book for the base game says about the final battle:

Quote:
1. Investigators Refresh
At the beginning of a round of combat with an Ancient
One, the investigators may refresh their cards, use any
character abilities, and adjust their skill sliders as though
it were the Upkeep Phase. Next, the first player marker
should be passed to the left. Finally, they may trade
items among themselves as if they were in the same
location (see “Trading Equipment” later in these rules).


The Kingsport rule book adds:

Quote:
When the Ancient One awakens, the players are given
an Upkeep Phase to prepare themselves. This follows the
standard rules for when the Ancient One awakens. However,
after the Upkeep Phase is complete, draw the top card from
the Epic Battle deck...


So according to the wording in the base rules, there is a pseudo-Upkeep Phase and then the first player marker is passed and finally trading may be done. This seems to suggest that the trading is done outside of the Upkeep Phase but, obviously, before the combat actually begins for the round.

According to the wording in the Kingsport rules, after the Upkeep Phase the top card of the Epic Battle deck is drawn.

Going by how the rules are written in the two books, does this mean that trading can then be done after the card is drawn (but before the first player starts his attack, as usual)?

Would the order be:

1. Upkeep
2. Draw EB Card
3. Pass First Player Marker
4. Trade Items
5. Start the Attack

Or has there been a revision/clarification somewhere down the line?

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
n107 wrote:
Question 1: Endurance Skill Card

Endurance adds one success to your total successes in combat. If the character was reduced to 0 dice, would he still be able to use the Skill for one free success?

Sure, why not? Endurance lends a success without rolling a die. These skills are very strong for this reason.

Quote:
Going by how the rules are written in the two books, does this mean that trading can then be done after the card is drawn (but before the first player starts his attack, as usual)?

There hasn't been any clarification but I suspect that FFG forgot the exact order of final combat and that the card is supposed to be drawn right before the investigators would have done their "attack" if there was no Epic Battle deck. In other words, trading and First Player passing is done before the card is flipped.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
n107 wrote:
I had posted two questions recently: one in the body of a session report and on in the Kingsport forums. Both questions received two answers each. Both answers contradicted each other. So I'm hoping to get either a clearer answer or a consensus on how to handle these situations.

Question 1: Endurance Skill Card

Endurance adds one success to your total successes in combat. If the character was reduced to 0 dice, would he still be able to use the Skill for one free success?

Question 2: Epic Battle Card Timing

The rule book for the base game says about the final battle:

Quote:
1. Investigators Refresh
At the beginning of a round of combat with an Ancient
One, the investigators may refresh their cards, use any
character abilities, and adjust their skill sliders as though
it were the Upkeep Phase. Next, the first player marker
should be passed to the left. Finally, they may trade
items among themselves as if they were in the same
location (see “Trading Equipment” later in these rules).


The Kingsport rule book adds:

Quote:
When the Ancient One awakens, the players are given
an Upkeep Phase to prepare themselves. This follows the
standard rules for when the Ancient One awakens. However,
after the Upkeep Phase is complete, draw the top card from
the Epic Battle deck...


So according to the wording in the base rules, there is a pseudo-Upkeep Phase and then the first player marker is passed and finally trading may be done. This seems to suggest that the trading is done outside of the Upkeep Phase but, obviously, before the combat actually begins for the round.

According to the wording in the Kingsport rules, after the Upkeep Phase the top card of the Epic Battle deck is drawn.

Going by how the rules are written in the two books, does this mean that trading can then be done after the card is drawn (but before the first player starts his attack, as usual)?

Would the order be:

1. Upkeep
2. Draw EB Card
3. Pass First Player Marker
4. Trade Items
5. Start the Attack

Or has there been a revision/clarification somewhere down the line?



On the Endurance Skill Card: Yes, I would think that you get one free success even if your dice were reduced to zero.


On the Epic Battle Deck: The point of the phase before combat in the final battle is to allow the investigators to prepare for the battle (or each round of battle). Then go into combat. To me this means refresh cards, adjust skills, play any cards, and trade items. After every player has carried out these actions, I would pass the first player marker, then draw an EB card, and finally start the attacks.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
n107 wrote:
If the character was reduced to 0 dice, would he still be able to use the Skill for one free success?


I would say yes.

Question 2: Epic Battle Card Timing

n107 wrote:
According to the wording in the Kingsport rules, after the Upkeep Phase the top card of the Epic Battle deck is drawn.


Yes, and as usual you can trade in the upkeep phase.
The way I see it it is just clumsy wording. Usually when FFG decides to forgo a rule from before, they clearly state that they are overriding a previous rule.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On the Endurance card I just wanted show what the rules say:
Arkham Horror Rulebook pg 13 wrote:
MODIFIERS
This number is added to or subtracted from the investigator’s
skill value before the player makes the check. The result is
the number of dice the player rolls to make the check. Note
that modifiers always apply to the number of dice a player
rolls for a check, not to the results of the individual dice.

Example: Michael McGlen is asked to make the two
skill checks listed in the example above. His current
Sneak is 3 and his current Luck is 2. In the first example,
he subtracts one from his Sneak of 3 (for the –1
modifier) and therefore rolls two dice. In the second, he
adds two to his Luck of 2 (for the +2 modifier) and
therefore rolls four dice.

Important: If the modifier reduces an investigator to 0
or fewer dice, he automatically fails the check. The
player may still spend Clue tokens to make the check
So you notice that even though you have zero dice to roll, you are still making a Skill Check even though you automatically fail. Because you have actually made a Skill Check you are entitled to the additional success from the Skill Card.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers everyone and for the rule snippet, mccrispy.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.