Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gamer667788 wrote:
..would there be room on the table (I believe in jones theory like a religion) for GTR

No. I'm Spartacus.

That's an answer to your question and a response to Ed's claim. I'll reserve most comments on how "Jones's Theory" is misnamed--it's a dogma or a doctrine--and pointing out that religious posts belong in the RSP forum.

My question to you is why get RftG when you could get the better game GtR alone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Seymour
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love RFTG, but didn't care much for GTR, though much of that was due to the appearance of that game. RFTG is deep and has many expansions. Perhaps give it a try for a while before getting something that is similar....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have San Juan, GtR is on order, and would like to get Puerto Rico. I don't see much need for RftG at this point though. I do tend to use the Jones theory as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whats GtR?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gamer 2012
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
glory to rome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, definitely there is room for both. They do share some mechanics, in particular role selection and cards dual as resources and improvements. But they play and feel very differently. GtR has much more direct interaction and "take that" play, whether it's the Legionnaire demand, conniving manipulation of the pool, or stealing your their patrons with the Colosseum. Race, excluding takeovers, is about anticipating your opponents' choices to maximize your shared benefit, and minimize your opponents'.

Put another way: my wife will play Dominion only without attack cards. I could play RftG with her. There's no way she'd play GtR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the two games are different enough that it's hard for one to displace the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RftG is my favourite game of all, although I haven't played GtR yet.

What I will say is that the theme of RftG is very strong, so I would imagine that, while both games shame the role selection mechanic, they will feel quite different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.