Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Astra Titanus» Forums » General

Subject: Astra Titanus Map quality ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hi

anyone who own Astra titanus can confirm the quality of the main map? on seeing the video reviews, the map part seems like a flimsy paper and not card board / thick paper that will lay flat on table. it looked bad for a main map.

hows your opinion as owner of this game?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
hi

anyone who own Astra titanus can confirm the quality of the main map? on seeing the video reviews, the map part seems like a flimsy paper and not card board / thick paper that will lay flat on table. it looked bad for a main map.

hows your opinion as owner of this game?


It's not a mounted map on cardboard like most eurogames. The publisher is a low budget small-scale company that could probably not afford to do mounted boards (and if they did it would raise the price even more). While it does not lie completely flat (think about the same quality as many foldable wargame maps), I didn't have any issues playing on it. You could do what many wargamers do: buy a sheet of plexi, that you can then use on any and all foldable maps, to keep them flat.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
dprijadi wrote:
hi

anyone who own Astra titanus can confirm the quality of the main map? on seeing the video reviews, the map part seems like a flimsy paper and not card board / thick paper that will lay flat on table. it looked bad for a main map.

hows your opinion as owner of this game?


It's not a mounted map on cardboard like most eurogames. The publisher is a low budget small-scale company that could probably not afford to do mounted boards (and if they did it would raise the price even more). While it does not lie completely flat (think about the same quality as many foldable wargame maps), I didn't have any issues playing on it. You could do what many wargamers do: buy a sheet of plexi, that you can then use on any and all foldable maps, to keep them flat.


ok thanks for info, if the quality of map the same as wargames then it will need stuff to reinforce it, or mounting it myself or buy plexiglass.

i wish vpg upgrade their map materials..
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I took mine to a local office supply store (Staples) and had it laminated. The creases are still evident, but they don't hinder play at all. VPG also offered an alternate map with a blue background. I had that one printed and laminated too. And because it was never folded, there are no creases. Of course neither will fit into the little plastic bag.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaret Morgan
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the Victory Point Game maps/boards are 11x17 so I bought top loaders that size and I can put in two maps per loader, back to back. I love using those things and it gives me a nice smooth surface to play on and the map is protected from wear and tear.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stokes
United States
Seal Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay, I'll bite. What's a top loader in this context? I bought a couple of pieces of plexiglass, which works really well, but I'm always open to alternatives.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaret Morgan
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Its exactly what you think it is, like the hard sleeves you buy for your sports cards, just a lot larger. I've even ordered some poster sized ones.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-11x17-Toploaders-Pack/dp/B00...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stokes
United States
Seal Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, but I have no idea why they're called top loaders.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stokesdc wrote:
Thanks, but I have no idea why they're called top loaders.


Because the slit for loading something into it is at the top.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine were defective.

I had to load them from the bottom.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stokes
United States
Seal Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Flip it 90 degrees and it's a side loader?

A mobius strip?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had my maps laminated (there's a dark blue space-scape map which VPG provide the file for in the Files section of BGG THANKS) then cut them down the middle and taped them so they will fold in half.

We already own an A4 laminator so that took care of the Titan status displays However, I did not fancy cutting the maps BEFORE laminating them because I wasn't sure about folding them...until my chosen Astra Titanus "game box" dictated the size. The box is one of those A4 document boxes, about 1 inch deep, with elastic over the corners to keep it closed.

Diff.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.