Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Brandt
United States
Manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was setting up the Go East board and it seems like the SMU river rules would apply. It's not mentioned, but I'm having a hard time seeing how to get across the river without having a special ability. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The river rules are as follows....

They cost 1 token to take but at the end of your turn you must remove any tokens in them (in other words you score no points for them).

In SWU there are some races/abilities that modify this but thats the basics.

Leigh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brandt
United States
Manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I was wondering was.... with the other scenerios like the very first one (My Precious?), they say that the rules you stated apply. In the Go East scenerio, they don't say anything about that. I believe it is just an oversight but I wanted to see if anyone else noticed this. I think there are scenerios that don't let you use a token to get across the water, so I would think Days of Wonder actually meant to use the Small World Underground rules of the river on the Go East.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear, the rules I quoted ARE the SWU river rules.

Its just that in SWU there are the Kraken race who let you stay in the river at the end of a turn and the Lizardmen who can cross river spaces without paying a cost or needing to conquer them whether they are occupied or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brandt
United States
Manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for not being clearer but here goes.....The Go East rules do not say to use the SWU river rule. Why doesn't it say to use that rule? There are other scenerios that DO say use that river rule., but Go East does not. Look at your rule book at the first scenerio, it says SWU river rules apply. The second scenerio Life Is a Long... it says SWU river rules apply...moving on to the third scenerio. GO East...no mention of using the river rule. Forth Scenerio says use the river rule.

So I guess what I'm saying is it appears they forgot to say to use the river rule for the Go East scenerio which could imply that it is not to be used. However, it would have to be if you wanted to get east without some special ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FX Deio
msg tools
You are right, they forgot to mention that the river rules must be used ; but to me, it does not imply that they are not to be used.

Using sea rules with this scenario (instead of river rules) would make it pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there are two 'bridges' or whatever you call the connection over the rivers, does that mean you have to use two tokens or just one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Bynaker
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this last night and we also thought it was odd that the rules do not mention river rules. We used them since there was really no way to play without using them!

One question did come up that we weren't sure about. How does a seafaring race use the river? I suspect we may have played it wrong but I thought it was a good balance / compromise. What we did:

1) Seafarers use 1 token if they are just passing thru and they have to reallocate at the end of the turn. Seafarers use 2 tokens to "conquer" and must leave at least 1 there at the end of the turn.

But it also seems reasonable that river scenarios beef up the seafarers such that:

2) Seafarers use 1 token to conquer and do not have to reallocate at the end of the turn.

Mixed blessings I suppose since what used to be a "safe" coin for seafarers in the base game now is something that could be conquered by other races.

I'm still curious as to how these rules are supposed to interact with the expansion.

Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Santa Fe Springs
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
rbynaker wrote:
How does a seafaring race use the river?

...But it also seems reasonable that river scenarios beef up the seafarers such that:

2) Seafarers use 1 token to conquer and do not have to reallocate at the end of the turn.

Mixed blessings I suppose since what used to be a "safe" coin for seafarers in the base game now is something that could be conquered by other races.

You may find better answers to this type of question in the Small World Underground forums. But I did a quick scan of the rules discussions and I found this thread about the Kraken's power. The Kraken are analogous to the Seafaring power in the regular game. (It's one of the many race/power exchanges made between the new game and the original.)

My position is:
If the Kraken are special in the world of Underground because they can occupy water regions, then it follows that Seafaring is special enough by being able to do the same there. See, while it's true that other races can now conquer water regions (in the Underground setting/scenarios), yet only the Kraken can occupy them at the end of the turn and actually score coins for them. Additionally, it used to be harder to reach all 3 water regions in Smallworld, so using Seafaring in the Underground game is "beefier". While Seafaring-held water regions are now vulnerable to attack, they are also more numerous, cheaper to conquer, and all conveniently adjacent to each other!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.