Rivals for Catan» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solitaire version of Rivals? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Mo
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Hello. I enjoy playing Rivals, but don't always have a partner to play with. Does anyone play a solitaire or solo version of this game? How would you suggest doing it?

I figure something like seeing if you can get to 10 points before getting to Yule, with all attacks going against you. But I don't know. Maybe there's a better way?

Thoughts? Ideas? Much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chopper Webb
msg tools
mb
Solo player rules

The game is improved with the addition of wooden resource tokens, robber playing piece and some form of victory point markers

First to 10 points

Set out and deal cards and resources to dummy player (DP) as normal.
Two numbered dice are rolled. Player chooses one for his own resource generation and the other for the DP.
DP receives resources just like the player. On reaching five of one type (place wooden resource tokens on card to keep count), they are exchanged for one victory point token.
When the brigand is first rolled, the robber is placed on a DP resource of the player’s choice. On the second roll it is moved to the player’s own region (either of the regions marked by the die). The brigand does not remove wool and gold.
A player can use a hero to remove the robber from play. The hero card is then turned over and has no effect in terms of strength or skill points until its resource cost is repaid.
Every time a player lays a road, settlement, town or region, so does the DP.

White die roll
Brigand: the trailing player selects a resource, based on one of the die rolls, all of which the leading player has to hand over.
Trade Advantage: if a player has 3 or more trade points, the number of resources on regions indicated by both dice is added together with the number of trade icons they have in their settlement. This total is compared with DP’s total resources on the same indicated regions. Whoever has the highest total wins the trade advantage token.
Celebration: if the player has at least one skill point, he compares the number he has with the number of victory tokens the DP has. The player with the highest number receives two gold.
Year of Plenty: the player with fewest victory points receives one free resource or, otherwise, both do. If the DP has fewest points, the player chooses from either die score to which free resource it receives.
*Where possible (such as with event cards), ALWAYS USE THE TOTAL ON ONE OR BOTH DICE TO ESTABLISH WHICH RESOURCES THE DP RECEIVES*

Strength Advantage: same as the Trade Advantage but concerning strength icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had been trying to come up with one myself without much luck. I'll try this out soon. Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Veillet
Canada
Boucherville
Québec, Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As anyone have tryed it yet?

I'll be giving it a shot before the end of january, and i'll try to post here my comments and ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heisey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is interesting. Has anyone tried it? The best I had previously thought of is similar to the ten points before Yule variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have added this to my GeekList Solo playable games available for TableTop Simulator so it might get some play and feedback. I want to try it myself, although I have the physical game so that's probably where I'll start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A-Yi Lin
msg tools
要贏過DP真的很難,五個相同資源就換成1VP真的很快,而且我蓋村落DP就跟著蓋,我升級城市DP也是跟著升級,頂多搶Strength advantage和Trade advantage也是不夠…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.