Subject: What encounter deck just drives you mad? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it is Into the Pit. This may be not be the most difficult quest to play (though it's up there) but it is certainly close to the most frustrating. As silly as it seems, I actually find myself getting mad at the encounter deck like it just personally insulted me, and often fantasize about punching the designers in the face for inflicting it on me

1. It seems like unlike most encounter decks, every location has a bite in this one. They all seem to add way too much threat to the staging area, are typically a bitch to explore through, and many of them have nasty abilities too.

2. I positively HATE the treacheries in this deck. You get one Watchful Eyes slapped on you in the beginning and keeping up with the already fast encounter deck is a true challenge. You get a second one you can go ahead and reshuffle.

3. Signs of Conflict - maybe one of the most annoying cards in the game. Yep.. heres your 2 threat boost and go ahead and surge. I just want to tell the encounter deck to **** off, especially when I get two in a row.

4. That pitfall card, seriously? Just go ahead and lose a questing character, oh, and you can't cancel either.

5. The shadow effects just plain piss me off. It's either exhaust character, and now this undefended Goblin swordsman just killed a hero, add another goblin swordsman to deal with in the staging area, or this already overpowered goblin just got boosted +2... again dead defender. And it sure feels like there is a whole lot more shadow effects than not in this deck.

6. Goblin Swordsman.. they can spawn like crazy and you have to defend EVERY one because of their undefended ability. Since when did mere goblins become some of the hardest hitting monsters in the game? And they had to give them 2 defense, really? Are they so tough that most allies and heroes can't touch them?

7. Goblin Follower... this fellow has wrecked my game more than a few times. He is way too hard to kill for a goblin and can hit you where you least expect it, like when you are exploring the East Gate. When he shows up, his stats are robust enough that he hangs around for awhile, and it aint in the staging area!

8. Goblin Patrol Leader - I just love it when you put together a power attack to destroy him, or Gandalf blast him just to draw an enemy and watch him shrug the well planned attack off.

9. Everybody talks about that East Gate in a positive light in that it allows you build up a force unmolested. All it ever does for me is build up gargantuan threat in the staging area and get me threat locked. I find myself throwing everything I have to quest past this before I'm facing 12 threat in the staging area (which has the added effect of leaving me vulnerable for the surprise goblin rape that often follows when you finally put that 7th progress token on it).

10. I feel like between all the surges effects, watchful eyes, etc. the encounter deck seems to reveal at light speed. This is not good when every single card you reveal off the top feels like a punch down below. Every treachery hurts and every location seems to add exponentially to staging threat.

11. It forces you to either play Dain or Eowyn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're having a lot of trouble with this one too. I don't think there's enough treachery-cancelling or encounter-peeking effects in the game to manage this beast of an encounter deck. Very tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what really makes it bad is the opening scene at the gate. Locations AND enemies are locked into the staging area causing the threat to build fast. They give you the torch to help mitigate the locations, but the prolem is in my experience it's a minimal gain, as it usually takes multiple exhausts for a lot of dark locations with a fair chance of an enemy popping up and adding his threat.

I usually try to sprint through the gate to minimize staging threat buildup, and then hit mid stage unprepared. The only time I have beat this one is with a Dain Dwarf Deck where Dain plusses up every character (and remains untapped to absorb a "Watchful Eyes". And as I mentioned, I feel like moreso in this deck than any other, nearly every encounter draw hurts. Like I actually feel physical pain as I'm revealing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Miller
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mjd83 wrote:

11. It forces you to either play Dain or Eowyn.

I actually played this one twice this morning with Glorfit/Beravor/Aragorn (everything deck) + Legolas/Boromir/Hama (eagle deck). and knocked it out pretty well. Might've got lucky with card draws cause reading through this brought back some bad memories. Mostly bad memories of RTR though...which I've found is best dealt with solo with Glorfit/Biblo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Miller
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mjd83 wrote:
Like I actually feel physical pain as I'm revealing it.

Love this comment! Great job by the game designers, I'm continually impressed (and frustrated!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjd83 wrote:
5. The shadow effects just plain piss me off. It's either exhaust character, and now this undefended Goblin swordsman just killed a hero

Eh, exhaust doesn't equal undefended, you've already declared and exhausted a defender at this point.

Quote:
add another goblin swordsman to deal with in the staging area, or this already overpowered goblin just got boosted +2... again dead defender. And it sure feels like there is a whole lot more shadow effects than not in this deck.

You know, 7th Level has about 4-5 more of those add Goblin X to staging area shadow effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just lost a game yesterday when 2 of those +5 threat locations appeared in the staging area. I was questing for about 2-3 more than what I had in staging area. Then these show up, I get from 37 threat to 47 instantly...
Not much fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's got to be Journey to Rhosgobel. Some of the most obnoxious Treacheries in the game in that pack. Festering Wounds, Exhaustion, Swarming Insects - it's just a lot of damage flying around and we hates it, precious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sjoerd Dijkstra
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mjd83 wrote:
(...)I actually find myself getting mad at the encounter deck like it just personally insulted me, and often fantasize about punching the designers in the face for inflicting it on me :)

I lolled at this part, caising me to spill coffee over my white sweater. :D

I find Hunt for Gollum infuriating. Several times now I found that I can easely enough rake in a ton of willpower and handeling the deck with ease, only to have the game take away the clues at the moment supreme. After that, the game gets dragged out until another clue comes up with there being very little you can do about that. You have to sit it out being annoyed, getting more and more annoyed that this clue does not pop up.

I am getting mad thinking about it. :angry:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard two scenarios mentioned here: Into the Pit and Journey to Rhosgobel.

Oddly, I think these two are very similar; in that neither of them allow you much down time, if any at all. Many of the scenarios, even the higher difficulty levels, allow a few turns of rest between major incident. Not these two. It is constant and the causes the player push very hard to the end quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Miller
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Rygel wrote:
I have heard two scenarios mentioned here: Into the Pit and Journey to Rhosgobel.

I love Into the Pit because you have to tweek your deck to get past the early part, and you will almost certainly enter the pit wounded or with a high threat making for a nice thematic tight finish.

JtR on the other hand is an abomination and should never be discussed ever again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomek Szymanski
msg tools
mb
Thank you Matt for reminding me of this quest; we haven't played it for a long time and therefore managed to forget how cool it is! As of now the score is 0:4 and counting, I'm afraid our allaround decks will require some tweaking to get it done...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notrub eneg
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Joel, I played this one twice successfully, solo in the last couple of days. Glorfit, Berevor and Lornagorn. Put Watchful on Glorfit, with the no tap to quest card (cant remember name) and Asfaloth on deck.

Solo its slow and a "who lasts the longest" event, but I seem to manage most quests at a reasonable rate. If you score me by the current system however, I am sure they are very high, due to number of rounds (12-20 often).

Gradually tuning the deck to be mostly universal with a very small sideboard (for example subbing in Lore of Imladris to keep Wilyador alive in JtR)

I like the challenge, heh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notrub eneg
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, forgot to add ...... the one that gives me the most frustration is Massing, particularly the last stage. Just cant seem to get by that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Coyote
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Believe It or Not JtR was one of my easiest quests. I know, I know youre going to say I played it wrong or 'bent' the rules etc., but...honestly... I arranged my fellowship carefully (with the help of the deckbuilder program ideas, and of course BGG's forums)and just so happened to make the perfect draws both times I played it. I only play solo, and maybe that helped. I don't know, but I quit after win #2 made the sign of the cross, thanked 'you-know-who' and quickly moved on to the next scenario. Now...Massing was (and is) a quite different ball game. Ive lost track of the amount of time spent and how many different decks constructed on this one. It kicks my behind every time. I have all the KhazaDum and Dwarrowdelf decks, but Im stuck at Osgiliath! Oh, and there was E.f D.G. I examined it and since I play solo, just quietly stuck it in the back of the box. Im sure there is a way to defeat it solo, but Im not ready to put forth the effort right now. Ok, here I go crossing the d@#$ river again. Oh crap! Why do I put myself through this anguish.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notrub eneg
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with William. I have been working on a "universal" deck, that did well with JtR, once I subbed three Lore of Imladris for three other cards in the deck to keep Wilyador healthy at just the right times. Think I lost one out of four, with bad card draw being the culprit.

Like others, I had my back side handed to me with Massing, so I havent overcome that problem yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.