David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So.... Starting up V40, and I found out I have to take out 2 of the colony crises (one is CAG chooses, one has Consequence). I could do the simple thing and play with 28 crises, or I could do the awesome thing, and add Cylon Attack cards to Revelatios.

So:
2 new CACs for the main crisis deck:
Battle for Cylon Genocide wrote:
Basestar fires
Sector 1: Basestar, 3 raiders, 1 heavy
Sector 2: 2 raiders
Sector 3: -
Sector 4: Basestar
Sector 5: 1 viper, 1 civilian
Sector 6: 3 vipers, 2 civilians

Cylon Virus: Keep this card in play. Discard this card if any cylon ships are destroyed. If the fleet jumps with this card still in play, the admiral may look through the top 15 cards of crisis deck and discard any Cylon Attack Cards he finds, then shuffle the crisis deck. Then discard this card.

Standoff at the Algae Planet wrote:
Heavy
Sector 1: Basestar, 2 heavies
Sector 3: 2 raiders
Sector 4: -
Sector 5: Basestar, 3 civilians
Sector 6: 2 vipers, 1 civilian

Withhold nukes: The admiral may sacrifice 1 population and 1 food to immediately gain a nuke token.

I unfortunately have no good CAC ideas for season 4, as according to Battlestar wiki the engagemnts were: Cylons vs Rebel Cylons, Rebel Cylons vs Humans and Humans vs Humans, none which is good for a CAC.

And 2 CAC for Colony:
Reinforcements wrote:
Defender
Sector 1: -
Sector 3: 2 raiders
Sector 4: -
Sector 5: 1 viper
Sector 6: 1 viper

Everything they have:The admiral may place 2 more raiders to both sectors to launch 2 more viper into both sectors (these vipers may even come from the Damaged Vipers box). Then each human on the Assault Track may discard one skill card to move by one position.

Colony's Raiders wrote:
All
Sector 1: 2 raiders
Sector 2: 1 raider
Sector 3: 1 raider
Sector 4: 1 raider
Sector 5: 1 raider
Sector 6: 1 raider

Start throwing rocks: Increase the Hand of Fate counter by one. Then, for each skill card he discards, the admiral may remove one raider from any space area (maximum 5)

It's been a while since I've seen CACs, so please do tell me if they are imbalanced or unfun or whatever. Also I'm open to more main deck CACs (2 more, max)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob dole
msg tools
mbmbmb
They don't seem problematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:

Battle for Cylon Genocide
Basestar fires
Sector 1: Basestar, 3 raiders, 1 heavy
Sector 3: -
Sector 4: Basestar
Sector 5: 1 viper, 1 civilian
Sector 6: 3 vipers, 2 civilians

Cylon Virus: Keep this card in play. Discard this card if any cylon ships are destroyed. If the fleet jumps with this card still in play, the admiral may look through the top 15 cards of crisis deck and discard any Cylon Attack Cards he finds, then shuffle the crisis deck. Then discard this card.

This one doesn't make a lot of sense to me, in regards to the initial activation. You have basestars firing first and then you have two being placed as part of the attack. Since there are only two basestars, then either the basestars will never attack first and you place two, or they fire and then you only place one (or none). The attack will never actually be resolved as intended due to component limitations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what you mean by "as intended." Presumably the intent is "basestars (if any) fire, then add until they're all in play"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
The intent seems to me to be that basestars would fire, and then basestars would end up in Sectors 1 and 4. But both of those things cannot happen, unless the existing basestar just happens to already be in one of those sectors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
The intent seems to me to be that basestars would fire, and then basestars would end up in Sectors 1 and 4. But both of those things cannot happen, unless the existing basestar just happens to already be in one of those sectors.

Yeah, nothing big, but you're right. Change to launch icon then. Is that ok?

So, you didn't find any bug. Do you think they're FUN?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
oriecat wrote:

Yeah, nothing big, but you're right. Change to launch icon then. Is that ok?

So, you didn't find any bug. Do you think they're FUN?

I don't think that fixes Mindy's complaint, because now it's either a case where there are Basestars and they launch but are not placed, or there aren't any so they don't launch, but then they get placed.

HOWEVER! I don't actually think this is a problem. It's true that not everything on the card will happen under any circumstances, but that could very well be the intent of the card.

DOUBLE HOWEVER! That CAC seems especially brutal. As far as I remember, there are only two CACs (in the base game) that place two Basestars. One of them places only Basestars and no other Cylon ships (Heavy Assault), and the other is a Supercrisis (Massive Assault). This is a Supercrisis-level CAC that is found in the main Crisis deck.

What you could do to tweak it is get rid of one of the Basestars. That'd address Mindy's complaint as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is meant to replace "Cylon Genocide" in spirit. THat's the hardest skill check in the game. Still not good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If your intent is a particularly painful CAC, then leave it how it is. It could make for some nightmare scenarios (Human Player 1 draws this, Cylon Player 2 plays Massive Assault, Cylon Player 3 plays Fleet Mobilization, Human Players 4 and 5 just weep softly to themselves), but I can't say if it would be too broken until I played with it a few times.

I like the Cylon Virus special rule, as it's the only CAC special rule that is actually (potentially) good for the Humans. So as a high-risk, high-reward thing it's interesting. I wonder if you could increase that factor somehow, like making it a Current Player Chooses, and it's either a really difficult CAC with a bonus to it like that, or a less difficult CAC with no reward at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
If your intent is a particularly painful CAC, then leave it how it is. It could make for some nightmare scenarios (Human Player 1 draws this, Cylon Player 2 plays Massive Assault, Cylon Player 3 plays Fleet Mobilization, Human Players 4 and 5 just weep softly to themselves), but I can't say if it would be too broken until I played with it a few times.

I like the Cylon Virus special rule, as it's the only CAC special rule that is actually (potentially) good for the Humans. So as a high-risk, high-reward thing it's interesting. I wonder if you could increase that factor somehow, like making it a Current Player Chooses, and it's either a really difficult CAC with a bonus to it like that, or a less difficult CAC with no reward at the end.

Wow, that's a really good idea. Especially since both the Colony CAC's involve admiral's choice!

So scratch the heavy in s1 and the basestar in s4. Text now reads: Current Player may choose to place a heavy in front of Galactica and a Basestar behind. If he chooses....[previous text] ... If he chooses not to, he must discard 3 skill cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I approve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.