Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: What is your favourite 'set of 10' kingdom cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sandstorm
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully there isn't already a thread (or 10) for this - i searched and couldn't find one!

I'm wondering which sets of kingdom cards people have found to make the most interesting game.

My wife and I have tried all the recommended sets from the rules and loved them, we've played using random cards which has worked well too, and even tried a kind of 'card drafting' idea to choose our ten.

Today i tried my own set i've called 'Serious Money' (It shares a few cards in common with the 'Big Money' set from the rules). The set is kinda geared towards keeping a lean but profitable deck using: Adventurer, Bureaucrat,Festival,Laboratory, Market, Moneylender, Remodel, Throne Room, Village, Woodcutter. I thought it made for an interesting game...

So back to my question: What are your favourite sets?
or... What is your favourite method for selecting your kingdom cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
I think almost everyone just draws 10 at random. I can't even imagine having a favorite set of kingdom cards - it's the variety of having ten different cards every game that makes Dominion interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything that I haven't played before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dion Baxter
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I'd kept note of a set of 10 cards I played once where several tactics all were in play and you had to constantly alter your tactics to balance against your opponents.
None of the tactics seemed better than the other. But all I remember that there were 3 different attack cards, several money boosts and scope of increasing and decreasing the deck. (I was several beers to the merry, so that's all I remember.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say that I have a "favorite" set, but I do like a set to have at least one card with each of the following

+2 Actions
+1 Buy
Trashing capabilities
Attack

These four aren't necessary all the time, but there are times that I get a random set of ten and it doesn't work out too well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dsanderson wrote:
Hopefully there isn't already a thread (or 10) for this - i searched and couldn't find one!

I'm wondering which sets of kingdom cards people have found to make the most interesting game.

My wife and I have tried all the recommended sets from the rules and loved them, we've played using random cards which has worked well too, and even tried a kind of 'card drafting' idea to choose our ten.

Today i tried my own set i've called 'Serious Money' (It shares a few cards in common with the 'Big Money' set from the rules). The set is kinda geared towards keeping a lean but profitable deck using: Adventurer, Bureaucrat,Festival,Laboratory, Market, Moneylender, Remodel, Throne Room, Village, Woodcutter. I thought it made for an interesting game...

So back to my question: What are your favourite sets?
or... What is your favourite method for selecting your kingdom cards?

I like to go random, but will swap out stuff for variety. For example, try one setup without any +actions, another with just +1 actions, and another with branches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Donahue
United States
Laurens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion Deck Builder allows you to "create, share, discuss and rate Dominion games" by maintaining a database of 'sets of 10' kingdom cards entered by various users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The nine finalists in the 2011 Kingdom Design Challenge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything where there are legitimate multiple paths to victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandstorm
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks for the links Terry and Edward!

I definitely agree with Matthew that the 'multiple paths to victory' thing is the key to an interesting set!

Also Ackmondual's idea of doing a random set but depriving it of particular kinds of cards is an interesting proposition too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dsanderson wrote:

Also Ackmondual's idea of doing a random set but depriving it of particular kinds of cards is an interesting proposition too.
Some folks do this to fit certain criteria. For example, if they want to play a game or 2 during lunch breaks, taking out cards that let you draw many cards (Lab, Smithy+ Village) and/or bog down decks (Witch, especially with no defense against them, like Moat, Chapel, Cellar) will speed up games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.