United States
Montana
flag msg tools

First, a link to the article in question:
> http://news.yahoo.com/el-salvadors-gang-truce-cuts-murder-ra... <

In an article about gang violence in El Salvador from Reuters posted on Yahoo! today, I found this doozy of a comment, posted by Yahoo! user 高伟军

"This is why South America has to be invaded , destroyed, and re-colonized with white people.
Saturation bombing, ricin, 100% elimination. These people are just useless oxygen breathers. Their DNA must be eliminated"

...Aside from the blatant bloody-minded thuggery, xenophobia, and racism expressed in this statement, the disturbing thing is that this comment garnered 21 thumbs up and 50 thumbs down.
It has to be the most unbelievable comment I have ever seen on Yahoo! comments, which is saying something.

What this kind of comment really brings to mind for me is just how intolerant people can become on the internet. No one except the most depraved neo-Nazi would ever advocate the complete destruction of an entire regions population in a real-life situation. Something about the anonymity of the internet brings out the worst in human beings. If comments on a newspiece are powered by Facebook, which allows no anonymity as people will have to post with their real names, you don't see such violent and angry rhetoric thrown around, though it can still get very nasty and judgmental.
On the one hand, I'm very tempted to say that the anonymity of the internet allows nutcases to spew their opinions everywhere, as well as to assume that there will always be jerks. On the other hand, I find comments of this ilk, which abound in the comments sections of newspapers everywhere, very worrying. Are we becoming a more uncivil,intolerant, and angry society? And is the internet an outlet for this degeneration of public discourse or a cause of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming it's not just trolling. Besides I have seen this kind of comment on RSP.
As to being more intolerant, no we are not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Besides I have seen this kind of comment on RSP.

No you haven't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

No you haven't.

Don't be so sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trace
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
braveheart101 wrote:

In an article about gang violence in El Salvador from Reuters posted on Yahoo! today, I found this doozy of a comment, posted by Yahoo! user 高伟军

"This is why South America has to be invaded , destroyed, and re-colonized with white people.
Saturation bombing, ricin, 100% elimination. These people are just useless oxygen breathers. Their DNA must be eliminated"

well I expect that after spraying forth such crap the poster marches on past the Central American country of El Salvador to South America searching for a place a little larger than Lake Ontario and a bit smaller than New Jersey....

but his opinion is no more or less than anyone else s - but for the days that the letters to the editor of a printed newspaper were the only way to have a 'say' - with said editor choosing what opinions will suit his paper....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

No you haven't.

Don't be so sure.

You might be right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
quozl wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

No you haven't.

Don't be so sure.

You might be right.

Quote it then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's not something the internet invented as it is just the vehicle to exploit what they are. These people have always been around. I don't really care as I ignore it and any forums which allow it.

The fact the internet allows these people to spew their nonsense and promote loose associations does bother me but that is not the same thing here. Also the ability to do that has great benefits so to change it will not be appropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
quozl wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

No you haven't.

Don't be so sure.

You might be right.

Quote it then.

"Human life priceless? Come on. You could go to Egypt or the Sudan right now and buy a human being for 200 dollars American. So I say kill all the kooks and save the last Wonder."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
quozl wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

No you haven't.

Don't be so sure.

You might be right.

Quote it then.

"Human life priceless? Come on. You could go to Egypt or the Sudan right now and buy a human being for 200 dollars American. So I say kill all the kooks and save the last Wonder."

That's not a call for genocide. I read it as a statement that the people in power in Egypt and the Sudan consider the lives of their fellow citizens cheap, and that therefore the people who are threatening to destroy the pyramids should be killed to protect them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
quozl wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

No you haven't.

Don't be so sure.

You might be right.

Quote it then.

Disappointing. But you appear to be right. So I retract and apologize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
But you appear to be right. So I retract and apologize.

Of course it's always possible that at some point in the future you'll be able to unapologise. But I don't believe the rules here allow me to suggest why and how.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder why any site that allows usernames such as N/A and games such as my least favorite would be exempt from hate speech?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gruhm Axebattler
msg tools
Gruhm no think acknowledging jew smash game exist is condoning hate speech. It just keeping record.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gruhm wrote:
Gruhm no think acknowledging jew smash game exist is condoning hate speech. It just keeping record.

I agree, you cannot airbrush history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything "Gruhm" says is hate speech--hate from those of us who hate sock puppets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Everything "Gruhm" says is hate speech--hate from those of us who hate sock puppets.

Who off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:

I wouldn't. That comment was sarcasm. Not how that particular BGG member views things. He wasn't serious and it seems to me Slater was suggesting that BGG has some sort of history of people posting actual, serious comments of the sort being discussed.

I've never seen it. Therefore, it doesn't exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:

I wouldn't. That comment was sarcasm. Not how that particular BGG member views things. He wasn't serious and it seems to me Slater was suggesting that BGG has some sort of history of people posting actual, serious comments of the sort being discussed.

I've never seen it. Therefore, it doesn't exist.

Which would be why I sugested that the comment mentiond by the OP might well have just been trolling, rather then a serious comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:

I wouldn't. That comment was sarcasm. Not how that particular BGG member views things.

If so then a bit of a Poe's Law like failure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of us in the US are only a few generations removed from a culture that did just what the comment referenced in the OP suggests (with less "advanced" technology, but I guess they didn't post about it. Editorialize, speechify and in general advocate such a course, but not post on the Internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Penny Arcade covered this long ago:

From a game theory perspective, it's hard to run the prisoner's dilemma if your opponent is an anonymous stranger who will never know you and with whom you will never interact again. Defecting becomes the obvious choice, which is why so many internet commenters act defective.

...that being said, I do feel I've sensed more polarization/tribalism in the past decade than before, but I'm unconvinced that's an actual trend as opposed to simply my increased awareness of what a non-empathetic world in which we live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might have given it a thumbs up. Not necessarily because I agree with it, but for its outlandish nature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.