Popular Tags: [View All]
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Has anyone played both or could give some advice? Cheers. Been recently paying Washington's War and 1989 with a mate and we were looking to try out a Block game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both and enjoy both. Personally, I like SotE but I LOVE HotS. HoTs is simpler, less fiddly and involves dice rolls ro resolve combat. SotE involves simulataneous hidden placement of orders on blocks, then everything is resolved. Its a larger scale game with more scenarios. A very, very brief summary of the 2:

HotS
- Pretty much the same game (2 scenarios)
- Uses numbered cards to activate groups of blocks; has some event cards
- Uses dice to hammer out battles (no pun intended)

SotE
- Uses cards for multiple purposes such as reinforcements, combat, events
- Multiple scenarios
- Beautiful board
- Slightly more complex
- More Chess-like in that you try to gues what your opponents orders are. Combat does not involve any dice rolls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both and prefer HotS.

HotS is a clean and clear gamesystem with a higher replay value. SotE fails somwhere. It has too many event cards which you rarely use but have to read every time the cards are dealt. The order system adds a nice twist, but feels somewhere artificial. Some cards are way too strong and can ruin an exciting game. I also don't like the separation of the game in two fronts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dan. In your opinion are they of comparable duration? Also, which would you recommend as a good block game for starters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abravenewgeek wrote:
Also, which would you recommend as a good block game for starters?

Hammer of the Scots was my first block game, and it led to the purchase of about 20 others, so you may want to avoid it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abravenewgeek wrote:
Has anyone played both or could give some advice?

I've played both, but they're utterly different games so I'm not sure how to make a comparison. My suggestion would be to follow your historical interests, and go with the one whose subject sounds most interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abravenewgeek wrote:
Thanks Dan. In your opinion are they of comparable duration? Also, which would you recommend as a good block game for starters?

That's easier to answer: Hammer of the Scots introduced the modern Columbia Games system; playing it will give you a major leg up on playing the others that they've released subsequently. Strike of the Eagle is sui generis; I've never played another game quite like it.

Personally, I've been playing block games since Gamma Two came out with Quebec 1759 forty years ago, so I've seen it all and am more drawn to something that's different. I'm also not sold on the way Columbia is applying essentially the same system to games spanning a couple of millenia, and was happier in the old days when the systems for their games were more diverse.

But for someone starting out and wanting to explore the world of block wargaming, Hammer of the Scots would undoubtedly be the better first step. It is at the heart of the genre, while Strike of the Eagle is an outlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
The best part is that there's no bad choice here.

HotS is certainly easier to set up and a cleaner system overall. Game play is tense right off the bat. Just two scenarios, but there's a lot of replayability. As for component quality, the blocks are great and the cards and map are nicely done. It currently ranks as my number four game overall. I'll never pass on a game.

SotE is as much card-driven wargame as it is block game. Lots of decisions on every single card--they can be used for additional orders, for combat, for resupply, or for the event. The orders system adds even more fog of war than normal block games--both sides place two order chits per front on individual armies. These are revealed then executed in specific order. This one also offers great replay value and works perfectly for two or four players. Set up time can be painful--many of the blocks don't start at full strength. Oh yeah, a mounted map. That said, with a few more plays, SotE will certainly crack my top ten.

If you want something with the card-driven aspects of Washington's War and 1989 but with the great fog of war you get from block games (and hidden orders similar to A Game of Thrones), then SotE is the choice. If you want to depart from the card-driven format and go with the definitive block game, then it's HotS. You really can't go wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil knows his post is a good one, else he wouldn't have thumbed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO HotS is an excellent block game for starters. Its a pretty easy game to grasp, though wintering may be a bit confusing at first. Its my second favorite block game; Rommel in the Desert is my favorite (which I never get to play). There are ones with simpler rules, but in my opinion they feel watered down. As far as duration goes, HotS is shorter than SotE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voynix wrote:
IMO HotS is an excellent block game for starters. Its a pretty easy game to grasp, though wintering may be a bit confusing at first. Its my second favorite block game; Rommel in the Desert is my favorite (which I never get to play).

I'm a huge fan of RitD, but I never get to play it either.

voynix wrote:
As far as duration goes, HotS is shorter than SotE.

Shorter than the campaign. There are 2-player scenarios in SotE that are shorter than HotS. And that does bring up another point - the ability to play with 3 or 4 is a nice feature in SotE's favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much appreciated everyone. Thanks for all your comments. I think I will read the rules of both and then make a decision.

Man, I love this hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NICK KOUKOS
Greece
HERAKLION ,CRETE
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could I just put you in a slightly bigger dilemma? Have you seen Sekigahara?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and great advice! Thanks. My mate has the game and I will try and get it when gmt reprint. I went for Julius Caesar in the end. It's just what we were after.

Er... And SotE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg Lazarev
Russia
Yekaterinburg
flag msg tools
"Have you seen Sekigahara?"

If we are talking about block games with absolutely different game mechanics, than "Napoleon's Triumph" is also the option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.