Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by this custom Carc set, I started thinking about other games that could be perler-ized. Hive seemed a natural choice, especially as I've been wanting to make a refrigerator set for some time now. I was initially thinking I'd use shrinky-dinks, but now I think perler beads might be even cooler.

The only problem is, I'm having some trouble coming up with a good design scheme for the insects. Particularly the beetle.

The above is what I have so far, but I haven't come up with a good way to represent the beetle similarly. Any suggestions or alternate schemes? Another option is to simply do letters A, B, G, Q, S, but I think the above would be cooler if I could make it work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really cool idea! I hope you post back with pictures of the final products when you're done.

I love the movement diagrams. However, your Ant movement is illegal since it will break the hive. This could be fixed by just adding a black bead either to the white space in the middle, or to the spot NW of that, pushing that blue bead out one space. I kind of like preserving the white space in the middle just to show that it can't move into a spot that it can't slide into.

For the Beetle, what about doing something similar to the Bee, but then just gluing (pre-melted?) purple beads on top of the black beads for the spaces on top of the hive that the Beetle can move to? This will really drive home the 3D movement of the Beetle, and might be a cool little effect on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since (as you might know) your are not the first to think about this, a look into the gallery could show you some inspiration.
This is one try that uses my own design of abstract Hive

This is a more pictorial approach

I have another abstract version that could be used, which abstracts the movement of each piece and not its appearance

Have fun
FH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
walkie wrote:
This is a really cool idea! I hope you post back with pictures of the final products when you're done.

I love the movement diagrams. However, your Ant movement is illegal since it will break the hive. This could be fixed by just adding a black bead either to the white space in the middle, or to the spot NW of that, pushing that blue bead out one space. I kind of like preserving the white space in the middle just to show that it can't move into a spot that it can't slide into.

For the Beetle, what about doing something similar to the Bee, but then just gluing (pre-melted?) purple beads on top of the black beads for the spaces on top of the hive that the Beetle can move to? This will really drive home the 3D movement of the Beetle, and might be a cool little effect on its own.

Good catch with the ant! Thanks.

As for gluing pieces on top, I considered that but I worried about stability when stacking. Though maybe there's a symmetrical/adequately stable design I can come up with, hmmm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.