Subject: Obliterated by Omnitron in the Megalopolis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M Kron
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
Second game, first with two players, I took Absolute Zero and Fanatic, my wife The Visionary. We were finished around the tenth turn, leaving Omnitron with 87 hp, and it never felt close.

Omnitron opened the game with Sedative Flechettes, a five damage to all heroes card, then drew a drone at the end to do 2 more to the highest hp hero. So we are 17 hp down before we've acted at all.

Absolute Zero spends his first several turns getting gear down (and has no other cards to do anything else anyway). Fanatic focused on damaging attack drones (of which four were soon in play).

Meanwhile the Megalopolis drew, in is first three turns, cards that prevented playing hero cards, using powers, and drawing hero cards.

The Visionary got wrest the mind and twist the ether into play, but a second Sedative Flechettes took them out just before Technological Singularity completely undid Absolute Zero's setup, dishing out 12 melee damage at the same time (cramped quarters combat).

At this point we have no hands (combined discard requirements to end environment effects, playing cards when we could, and being unable to draw cards while trying to kill off the traffic pileup and keep the attack drones under control) and all of our heroes are below half health. Omnitron is at full health with three repair drones in play and four or five attack drones in his trash to recycle every other turn.

Out comes Electro Pulse Explosive, which is threatening 15 damage to each hero. Luckily Fanatic is sitting on her Wrathful Retribution and takes it out, but no one else has enough damage on the table to take out the drones.

When the second copy of Electro-Pulse Explosive turned up a few turns later, that was it. By then everyone is at 8 hp, most of our equipment cards and ongoing cards have been trashed, and only The Visionary has a respectable-sized hand (the result of a few turns in her cocoon drawing two per turn). We manage to deal 8 hp damage to the card (most of that thanks to the falling monorail - which also did all of the unhealed damage to Omnitron), meaning we should just survive the Pulse... But another copy of Close Quarters Combat comes out, upping all damage by one. Game Over. And honestly even if we had survived the turn, we had clearly lost the game.

Help with a post-mortem, anyone? Here are my novice thoughts:

1. Absolute Zero is a disaster against Omnitron. The ability to destroy hero equipment, then damage heroes accordingly, combined with the ability to get through his deck, makes Omnitron kryptonite to the hero who was probably the most effective in our 4p game against Baron Blade.

2. A fourth hero might've helped some. But honestly I don't think it would have turned the tide.

3. We needed more damage-dealing ability. I picked Fanatic hoping she would fill that need, but really she was lackluster in that area.

4. We either got really unlucky with the draws or the Megalopolis is just a brutal environment.

5. ??? Your thoughts welcome. Constructive ones, that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, first off, welcome to the game! It can be hard sometimes.

Your first point is right, in my opinion. Technological Singularity absolutely shreds Absolute Zero, and any equipment-based hero. Zero probably has the hardest time of it, since he needs his stuff to be at all effective. Also, he takes time to set up, which it really sounds like you didn't have.

Another hero always helps. These guys are strong and flexible. Another one might have supplied the firepower to take down the drones as needed. If you're looking for pure damage, Ra is probably your man, but everybody has the potential to do big damage.

Speaking of big damage, Visionary's Wrest the Mind is the absolute best answer to Electro-pulse Explosives. Give it a try!

Honestly, it sounds like you had nasty luck with your draws. Megalopolis is often considered the "easiest" environment, due to the relatively low damage heroes can expect, and the relative ease with which the cards can be handled. But Traffic Pileup, Paparazzi on the Scene, and Hostage Situation are easily the 3 worst cards in the deck, and drawing them together like that doesn't make for an easy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kron
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the welcome, and the thoughts. I see that you've posted some hero guides over on >games which are nice. (Doing one for AZ anytime soon? So far I've played him to great effect once, disastrously once, and sorta meh once.)

I definitely think this game is fun, despite the shellacking described in my OP. My two other games, both involving 4 heroes against the Baron (the second time I played 2 heroes in a 3 player game), have ended in memorable wins. (In the last one, in the Ruins of Atlantis, Tachyon hit him for 26 HP to end it; her HUD goggles let her drop two Lightspeed Barrage cards. One of them had been Reclaimed from the Deep just prior - after she had used it to kill off the 'Terra Lunar' side with 14 cards in the villain trash.)

Back on topic, the game against Omnitron did feel like we might've had a slightly better chance if the villain and environment draws hadn't gone in exactly the sequence they did. We didn't even see a Police Backup card until I was dazedly looking through the deck after our dismal defeat to see if I could tell how things went so badly awry. All of the drones were stacked at the top of Omnitron's deck (literally all of them in the top 15 cards or so), which really hurts when those Series 84 Automaton guys come out. And then, just when Zero was well set-up (but before he'd had a turn with his gear in place), Technological Singularity just tore him apart and set him back to square one.

I suggested to my wife that next time we play we should take 4 different heroes and go after Omnitron in a different environment to try to "rescue" Zero, Fanatic and The Visionary. (Don't remember whose idea it was to rescue fallen heroes, but some genius on the forums here or at >games made that excellent suggestion.) Lisa looked at me like I'm crazy (or maybe like I'm a geek?), but I still think I'll be able to talk her into it. I'll be taking the Tempest for sure (played him in the most recent game against Baron) and maybe try out Haka? And I'll try to talk her into also playing two hands. If my powers of eventual persuasion prevail on her, I'll try to post an update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Dwyer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second the sentiment that unlucky card draws played a major role here. I'd also note that Omnitron typically isn't that tough, if you have 4-5 heroes in play. With three heroes, though, it can be tough to keep up with all of the drones, and deal damage to Omnitron as well.

One of my first games was against Omnitron - we had Legacy, Ra, and Haka. In a three-player game, a supporting hero like Legacy just couldn't pitch in enough, and Haka had to keep blowing through cards just to keep things manageable. With 4-5 players, there's more opportunities to use some hero's discard-based powers over several turns, which then allow for heavy damage.

Against Omnitron, I would definitely recommend Tachyon. She's my favorite hero anyway (I have found her to be remarkably helpful in every game that has included her), and she isn't equipment reliant, so you don't have to worry about that aspect of Omnitron's villain cards. She also has a couple of cards that will allow for significant amounts of damage later in the game, based on the number of cards in her discard pile that have the "burst" qualifier. She is quite fun to play, as well.

Another recommendation would be Wraith. Yes, she has many equipment cards, but she also has a card (I forget its name), where her power for the turn can be to look at the top two villain cards, and put one on the bottom of the villain deck. Unless two really bad cards are next to each other, you can really manage any villain's deck with that power - basically, chose your poison. Also, Wraith has another card that allows her to play a second power each turn, so you can manage the villain's deck, and still do some damage.

Good luck with your rescue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm working through the heroes, slowly but surely. The heroes that get the biggest changes in the 2nd edition are getting posted after that comes out, as well as the new heroes. Absolute Zero... will be one of the last heroes I post, I fear. I'm not so sure I can write the guide to him.

Omnitron is seen as one of the easier villains, but with three players, it can be quite challenging. He generates a lot of targets, and takes a long time to kill, which gives him plenty of time to play Sedative Flechettes, Technological Singularity, or the dread Electro-Pulse Explosives to mess you up but good.

I recently convinced my fiancee to use two heroes in our fights. It's very helpful. In fact, from my perspective, one of the best things we can do is lose. Then she has to rematch the villain and rescue the fallen heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
kronmichael wrote:
I'll be taking the Tempest for sure (played him in the most recent game against Baron) and maybe try out Haka? And I'll try to talk her into also playing two hands. If my powers of eventual persuasion prevail on her, I'll try to post an update.

Both of these should do well. Tempest is great when you have a few drones out, and he has some nice single target one-shots for things like Electro-Pulse Explosive. Haka has a nice "trick" against Omnitron. Once he get Savage Mana out, any drones he kills go under that instead of to Omnitron's trash, so he can't bring them back. It'll still get ripped up by the flachettes, but if it buys you a few rounds of Omnitron having nothing to resurrect, it still really helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Kron
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
Flamethrower49 wrote:
In fact, from my perspective, one of the best things we can do is lose. Then she has to rematch the villain and rescue the fallen heroes.

Awesome. Spoken like a true geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Baldwin
United States
Daytona
Florida
flag msg tools
Come and get them if you dare!
badge
To Do List: 1. Eat 2. Workout 3. Be Amazing
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feel bad. I to, have had terrible luck against Omnitron. Two disintegration rays, electro-magnetic railgun,interpolation beam, and sedative flechettes reduced tachyon, legacy, and visionary to drooling idiots in the psych ward.

And let's not even talk about environments. You would think that an environment would affect everyone. Insula primalis only likes to target heroes while the villains lackadaisically tip-toe through the tulips.

It would be nice to win one. Just one, is that to much to ask?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.