Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Connors
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Received the game in the mail today, and played a game with my son tonight.

We flailed a little learning the rules, but did pretty well. The main thing we missed was picking up frying pans, and sooner than we expected, the last of the cards was flipped, and only one pan left.

He was crushed that he didn't get it, and I managed to pull it into my hand. At that point, he pretty much gave up, and we cycled through the last of the cards, since there was no way for him to make any points. I scored one more set I had in my hand, ready to claim my semi-pyrrhic victory.

I counted up my modest 22 points. My son said "23!", and I assumed he was just taking my number plus 1. Of course, he'd counted correctly, and actually won due to claiming more higher-point mushroom pans than I had.

So, I lost, but now he'll play with me again. Sometimes, that's the best way to have a first game.

Loved it! Next time, more pans!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What an enjoyable session report. We just received this game from Brent Povis (Two Lanterns Games) and we love it! Please continue to report on upcoming sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report!

As an aside, for what reason would one reject a session report?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably submitted for GG and rejected, as it is quite short and generally not deserving of .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Renaissance Man wrote:
Probably submitted for GG and rejected, as it is quite short and generally not deserving of .

Which is a distortion of the system. This is a session report and an interesting one for that matter. Maybe the impression that many mods don't actually read the articles are not so far fetched. The article looks short - reject. Tom Vassel video - approve.

Much of the modding by the mods is not deserving of geek gold either.

I disagree that this is not deserving of GG. That is why I gave it some. Much better that quite a few of the longer "deserving" reports. It has substance and highlights a point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the sort of thing I might expect to see in a game ratings comment, not in a session report. Speaking as someone who has written rather a lot of them.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
Good story-- thanks for posting! My wife and I also hit a few planning bumps in our first game. We're looking forward to more games to iron out the kinks in our understanding of the game.

thepackrat wrote:
It's the sort of thing I might expect to see in a game ratings comment, not in a session report. Speaking as someone who has written rather a lot of them.

B>

Were there a minimum required length for a session report, the entry form would enforce it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. It is not solely about length.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James H├ębert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Correct. It is not solely about length.B>

Oh, my.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connors
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Nice report!

As an aside, for what reason would one reject a session report?

Thanks!

The official answer as to "why" was:

Comments from users that moderated this article:
Too short
Poorly written

That last one stings a bit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connors
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
I disagree that this is not deserving of GG. That is why I gave it some. Much better that quite a few of the longer "deserving" reports. It has substance and highlights a point.

Thank you.

What's funny is I didn't realize a session report garnered GG. I just wanted to put it in what I thought was the right place. I'm fine with no GG, but not allowing it in as a session report seems... odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both session reports and reviews have default front-page modules. This gives them greater prominence and, with that, restrictions. Presumably they also wanted to encourage them as providing useful content for the site, which the geekgold helps with.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connors
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For reference, here's mine compared to the one accepted session report:

lines words chars
11 180 921 mine
19 297 1662 accepted

So somewhere between those two sets of numbers is the threshold for "too short".

EDIT: sorry for the formatting problems. I blame non-proportional fonts in the display vs. creation windows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is less about the number of words or characters and more about whether the person reading it feels as if it had enough content. It would be relatively easily to go much longer than either and have no content, and likely more challenging to go a lot shorter and still give the right impression.

The other session report talks about multiple things that happened in the game, you mostly report a score. Again, something more suited to a comment, or the comments in a play record.

Also, why did you feel the victory you thought you had 'semi-pyrrhic' ?

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean . . . I am sure it's decent compared to what the average person out there could write about a game, but it's not very compelling.

I knew nothing about the game before reading it. I still know nothing about the game.

It might not be about the size, but it's still about the content.

(You might not get people ready to come talk about rejecting session reports if you don't put it in the title, assuming you'd rather have people talk about the actual game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connors
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, all I want in regards to the rejection is more than four words. Calling something I wrote "poorly written" deserves more, unless, I suppose, it's intent is to discourage me from ever trying to write one again.

I think there needs to be guidelines on session reports so I have an actual clue as to what was expected or what was wrong.

I called it "semi-pyrrhic" because I thought I'd won this game, but likely lost my son as a player of Morels. To a 10-year-old, winning a first game can be very important. Also, the suddenness of "crap, we have to grind through the rest of the game, even though there's nothing more for me to do" didn't make him very happy.

And I hope you at least learned that gathering sufficient pans is necessary to scoring and winning the game. And that, in my judgement, the game is good.

I keep thinking of the video that Tom did for Hawaii where all he showed was throwing the game in the trash. All I learned there was what his kids and trash cans look like.

Sorry if this comes across as bitter, but "poorly written" is more than a little brutal, and "too short" with no guidelines is meaningless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
th3tick wrote:
Honestly, all I want in regards to the rejection is more than four words. Calling something I wrote "poorly written" deserves more, unless, I suppose, it's intent is to discourage me from ever trying to write one again.

I think there needs to be guidelines on session reports so I have an actual clue as to what was expected or what was wrong.

You might want to read a few for games you are interested in. You might also want to spend some time geekmodding to see both a) the sort of terrible stuff that gets submitted and b) the relatively tiny set of pre-written reasons for rejection and c) how little you feel like writing something detailed instead of b after you've seen way too much of a.

This exercise will hopefully convince you that this isn't personal.
Quote:

I called it "semi-pyrrhic" because I thought I'd won this game, but likely lost my son as a player of Morels. To a 10-year-old, winning a first game can be very important. Also, the suddenness of "crap, we have to grind through the rest of the game, even though there's nothing more for me to do" didn't make him very happy.

Right.
Quote:

And I hope you at least learned that gathering sufficient pans is necessary to scoring and winning the game. And that, in my judgement, the game is good.

I would have expected that to be mentioned in a rules run-through. Having played quite a few games, I wouldn't be surprised that collecting the things-that-score are important to, well, score.
Quote:

I keep thinking of the video that Tom did for Hawaii where all he showed was throwing the game in the trash. All I learned there was what his kids and trash cans look like.

If you're looking for someone to defend Tom's work, then I you'll have to find someone else. The popularity of his stuff is not necessarily reflected in the content of any review. In fact, I'd say he's leans more towards the personality/brand side of this.
Quote:

Sorry if this comes across as bitter, but "poorly written" is more than a little brutal, and "too short" with no guidelines is meaningless.

I've been attempting to give some guidance (As someone who has written ~120 session reports) on what you could have included as well as the basis on which your submission was likely rejected. I'd do genuinely suggest you take a spell on the other side of geekmod, too.

To be more specific if you had done one or both of
1. included more details about how the early game played, how scoring went etc
2. included some pictures showing table state as it developed.

then I'd have expected your report would have been well received, particularly as there isn't a lot of content about the game yet.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connors
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:

then I'd have expected your report would have been well received, particularly as there isn't a lot of content about the game yet.

Thank you for taking the time to write that.

As to my semi-slam on Tom, it's just that the example in question is pretty content-free. It sort of says "if you'd just make your content-free statement of 'I liked Morels' funnier, then it would get approved".

Next time, I'll pay attention more to the details of what happened in the game before writing. As to the pans, yes, it's obvious. We'd just focused so much on sets, and learning the (ahem) texture of the mushrooms (points and quantity), that we both missed that we were short on pans.

For example, we didn't realize there were only three Morels in the game, so I made sure to break up his set, likely leaving a pan on the table. I think I even forgot to play a butter I had, which would have won the game for me.

But in the end, my son won, which is an overall good outcome. Sadly, our planned second game last night fell through. Hopefully, tonight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can write your session report however you want. It is your session and there are no guidelines for acceptability despite the claims of others. Please don't overwrite the report just to appease some modder. Less is more.

It makes no sense to geekmod sessions in the first place, nor does it make sense to automatically award sessions GG.

There is no advantage to rejecting a session, because as we see here, it will just end up in the wrong place: general.

Thanks for taking the time to write it and I'm sorry it got rejected. God what a dumb system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
th3tick wrote:

As to my semi-slam on Tom, it's just that the example in question is pretty content-free. It sort of says "if you'd just make your content-free statement of 'I liked Morels' funnier, then it would get approved".

Or if you had built a celebrity brand perhaps. I'd suggest avoiding using anyone as a specific example, though. If you stumble on a local sacred cow, any direct criticism is usually dealt with harshly.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connors
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:

Or if you had built a celebrity brand perhaps. I'd suggest avoiding using anyone as a specific example, though. If you stumble on a local sacred cow, any direct criticism is usually dealt with harshly.

No, I understand that. I tend to love his videos, and that one was funny. It's just a great counter-example for the length/content arguments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And in fact stands as a glaring failure of everything geekmod is for. Yes, we know.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leacock
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
th3tick wrote:

The official answer as to "why" was:

Comments from users that moderated this article:
Too short
Poorly written

That last one stings a bit...

The only thing wrong with the article is the repeated misuse of commas.

Good session report anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connors
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sylvicolus wrote:

The only thing wrong with the article is the repeated misuse of commas.

Thanks! And on re-reading, the commas poke me in the eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.