Tom Merrigan
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Everyone,

If you would like I can put together an FAQ for Pirates of Nassau. Simply post your rule questions to this thread and i'll compile them and post the FAQ to the files section.

Cheers,
Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's very kind of you to offer! I'll see if I can come up with anything once I play another game or two
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After quickly browsing the game forums, these are the questions that have been asked thus far:

Hostages
Two ships on same space? & How many Jolly Rogers should come with game?
Merchant Spaces

QUESTIONS
1) Do hostages take cargo space?
2) If a hostage hasn't been ransomed before returning to Nassau, what happens?
3) If the royal navy catches you with a hostage, is the hostage lost?
4) Can more than one ship occupy the same space (ship or port) during the Buccaneering phase?

ANSWERS
1) Yes
2) Keep it for next round or make it walk the plank
3) You decide which half of your cargo to discard if you choose to (or have to) discard due to defeat.
4) Yes

(Potentially) Often Overlooked Rules
- Ship can move both forward and backward
- A looted port can never be visited
- When buying goods in port, both (or all 3 with Quartermaster) must be the same good
- The number of goods a player may hold is not limited by cargo space during the Return to Nassau phase
- A player does not have to Plunder when on a trade space with a merchant ship

I am curious, though this means nothing in terms of playing the game, why are there 10 trade wind counters if only 5 can be in play at a time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabrio Tolentino
msg tools
designer
Thank you very much for this excellent FAQ.

As for the trade winds, there is no specific reason for there to be 10. We have given extra in case you loose some, as a matter of fact, you get more than the minimum on almost every resource.

Thank you again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell H
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Does each hull section of the ship have a single cargo space or four?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Merrigan
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nazghost wrote:
Does each hull section of the ship have a single cargo space or four?

Each hull section has four spaces for cargo, gold, etc.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A ship collects bounty after sinking a merchant ship, which includes a hostage and some resources. The ship cannot fit all the bounty in its hold - it has one space fewer than needed.

Option 1: Is the player allowed to make the hostage walk the plank, gaining notoriety, in order to make space, and hence keep all the other resources?

Option 2: An alternate view would be that all the bounty is gained simultaneously, and hence must fit in the hold before the hostage can be made to walk the plank. i.e. one hostage or resource must be discarded without any impact on notoriety etc.

Which option is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Merrigan
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam78 wrote:
A ship collects bounty after sinking a merchant ship, which includes a hostage and some resources. The ship cannot fit all the bounty in its hold - it has one space fewer than needed.

Option 1: Is the player allowed to make the hostage walk the plank, gaining notoriety, in order to make space, and hence keep all the other resources?

Option 2: An alternate view would be that all the bounty is gained simultaneously, and hence must fit in the hold before the hostage can be made to walk the plank. i.e. one hostage or resource must be discarded without any impact on notoriety etc.

Which option is correct?

Hi Adam,

Option 1 is correct. If u look at the Hostage rules on pg9 it states hostages can be made to walk the plank at any time.

Cheers,
Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Bootherstone
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffs
flag msg tools
designer
Giving fast and friendly service in shop and by post for over 25 years
mbmbmbmbmb
A query that arose in a recent game about treasure points. Only one player had buried any, it was assumed that the other players did not get points for 2nd/3rd/4th place as they did not qualify in the absence of any burying activity at all - is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This would apply to the other score categories as well.

The rules do not specifically state that you have to have at least 1 point/coin in order to score points for that category (at least, nowhere that I saw). As such, a 3-way tie for 2nd with 0 coins is still a tie for 2nd, so award 5 points to each of those 3 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Merrigan
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Spirit Games wrote:
A query that arose in a recent game about treasure points. Only one player had buried any, it was assumed that the other players did not get points for 2nd/3rd/4th place as they did not qualify in the absence of any burying activity at all - is that correct?

Sorry, this should have been covered in the rules but was an oversight. You played it right though, if you don't have any treasure then you don't score any points.

Thanks,
Tom arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark furnell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Other than to avoid re-using the same dice, is there any reason for leaving used dice on the board?

I assume you can revisit a port or trade route square a second time during the Buccaneering phases?

Furgie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burningchrome wrote:

if you don't have any treasure then you don't score any points.
Tom arrrh

As Kenneth says, The rules do not specifically state that you have to have at least 1 point/coin in order to score points for that category (at least, nowhere that I saw). As such, a 3-way tie for 2nd with 0 coins is still a tie for 2nd, so award 5 points to each of those 3 players

Amos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
420017 wrote:
Burningchrome wrote:

if you don't have any treasure then you don't score any points.
Tom arrrh

As Kenneth says, The rules do not specifically state that you have to have at least 1 point/coin in order to score points for that category (at least, nowhere that I saw). As such, a 3-way tie for 2nd with 0 coins is still a tie for 2nd, so award 5 points to each of those 3 players

Amos

The game designer said this is an error in the rules (3 posts up from this one). The correct scoring is 0 coins = 0 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this mean “0” motley crew “0” score.
Amos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Greet
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Hating everyone equally
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you get when you plunder a merchant ship?

The rules explicitly state the Piece of Eight in addition to what's shown by the symbols but I can see people claiming this doesn't make sense. After all, why not just put a Piece of Eight symbol on the card if it was intended? Don't forget the page reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
warmachineuk wrote:
What do you get when you plunder a merchant ship?

The rules explicitly state the Piece of Eight in addition to what's shown by the symbols but I can see people claiming this doesn't make sense. After all, why not just put a Piece of Eight symbol on the card if it was intended? Don't forget the page reference.

I have no idea why the art wasn't done differently, but this is a good addition of an often missed rule! Here's your FAQ addition with additional info.

Pages 7 and 8 for plundering.

You successfully plunder a merchant ship if your ship + selected captain card have a sailing value > merchant sailing AND gunnery value > merchant gunnery. If successful:

1) You receive the resources printed on the card (underneath the ship graphic).

2) You receive 1 piece of eight from the bank.

3) You place the plundered ship in the appropriate place on your player board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
420017 wrote:
Amos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
420017 wrote:
420017 wrote:
Amos

Not explicitly answered, but see this post and then this post. Answer is likely 0=0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.