Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given they can move 0-1, can a Helo stay on the edge of a hex or does the 0 movement only apply when hovering?

Poliorcetes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Medeiros
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, being on the hex edge you have to move. To use the 0 movement, you have to be in the center of a hex -- so you need to decide you want to stop there during your (previous) movement. Though don't forget you can attack the hex before you move out of it, or go to high altitude if you don't want to roll to evade a ridge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Schall
United States
Evans City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And herein lies the problem. Do you risk stress for the pilot (if it is going through a ridge at low altitude) or go to High altitude and risk a pop-up target the following turn? Tough decisions-great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Unless it was a very unusual situating I'd risk the pop-up. A good number (half? I haven't counted) are No Pop Up, while the ridge evasion is definitely going to give you stress. Stress is probably the worst thing in the game. The extra target, if it shows up, can maybe be ignored, or maybe you can kill it, or maybe it will miss. But the stress will get you.

Worst likely case is that you have to leave early and only half-kill the battalion, but letting stress accumulate can mess up this one and the next one that pilot was going to fly.

Last mission of the campaign and a must-destroy battalion, maybe I'd accept the stress. It also might be worth it if it's one of those pilots that can accept a ton of stress (Gator!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What if there are SAMs and AAA buildings? Pop up is to risky then, IMO.

I try to fly through the canyons first until all the long range threats
are dead, then its safe to pop up. Of course, once I poped up with
both my planes, an infantry and a SAM appered in my hex!
My F-16 was shot down immediately...

If there is a SAM hiding behind ridges, I call in Willem Dafoe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I *really* try to avoid having to make this choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.