Subject: Expedition and individual units; Objective Stars; Supply rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not mentioned anywhere that we can find, but we assume a moving expedition can pick up their own side's individual units and keep moving provided they don't exceed the General's rank to move or mps. Is this correct?

I captured an Objective Star early in the game, and my Peace marker was still on its start space. I assume that "move your Peace Track marker back one space" bonus is lost forever, yes? Even if I lose the objective and come back later to re-take it?

Supply: the map, while lovely, is really, really hard to read for us old gamers (I played my first AH game in 1960). (Same with "Nap.1, Nap 2" on counters - small fonts should be CLEAR fonts!) Am I right in assuming Buffalo is not in USA supply at the beginning of the game? If I'm wrong, please spell it out for me. Thanks. If the USA takes Lake Erie, then Buffalo can trace to Pittsburgh, is that right?

We started our first game today. We didn't get very far, but that's because we were constantly attempting to look things up in the rule book. While the game is not very complex, we find it difficult to find specific rules. Has anyone done an index for this game?

At any rate, I *think* we're playing it right so far, and we've left it set up to continue later this week. We're enjoying it, though we have no idea of what our objectives should be.

It's probably been mentioned, but Ithaca is misspelled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's not mentioned anywhere that we can find, but we assume a moving expedition can pick up their own side's individual units and keep moving provided they don't exceed the General's rank to move or mps. Is this correct?

Correct. This should be in the FAQ on CSW.

Quote:
I captured an Objective Star early in the game, and my Peace marker was still on its start space. I assume that "move your Peace Track marker back one space" bonus is lost forever, yes? Even if I lose the objective and come back later to re-take it?

I believe so, but we'd need designer concurrence.

Quote:
Supply: the map, while lovely, is really, really hard to read for us old gamers (I played my first AH game in 1960). (Same with "Nap.1, Nap 2" on counters - small fonts should be CLEAR fonts!) Am I right in assuming Buffalo is not in USA supply at the beginning of the game? If I'm wrong, please spell it out for me. Thanks. If the USA takes Lake Erie, then Buffalo can trace to Pittsburgh, is that right?

The key is the start of the second paragraph of 7.4, but also note that if neither side has their Lake Expedition out on the lake, then both sides can use the lake to trace supply. The most restricitve form of transportation crossing a boundary determines the level of supply. So, Buffalo would be in limited supply if a water route across connecting area boundaries wasn't available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Paul. But no, I don't see the first question in the FAQ on Consimworld.

As for the third question, I don't understand your answer. There is no section 7.4 in my rules.

The British start with control of Lake Erie, so Buffalo can't trace supply that way. I guess it can trace by water to the next space to the east, then by Stage Road for Partial Supply to a city that way, Stage Road being the most restrictive form of supply.

But in our game, the British took Lake Ontario early with their superior force there and that point, Buffalo was not even in Partial Supply. Would that be correct?

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
It's probably been mentioned, but Ithaca is misspelled.

The place is spelled Ithica on the historic background map (take a close look, and you can see it). So this is either an old spelling, or I have repeated a 200-year-old typo.

sos1 wrote:
I don't see the first question in the FAQ.

Next edition of the Q&A will have this. Sorry, real life and summer vacations have gotten in the way of issuing a revised version.

Quote:
I assume that "move your Peace Track marker back one space" bonus is lost forever, yes?

Yes.

Quote:
Supply: the map, while lovely, is really, really hard to read for us old gamers

What areas are difficult to see? I found that once players get used to the idea that the edge of the wilderness is an edge of an area, things fall easily into place.

sos1 wrote:
Buffalo is not in USA supply at the beginning of the game?

No, it's in Full Supply at the beginning of the game.

Quote:
The key is the start of the second paragraph of 7.4

I think that Paul mis-typed and meant to say 7.1 Supply Path: "To be in Full Supply, the supply path must follow all water routes along rivers or Great Lakes." So in your example, if Lake Ontario is not controlled by either player, then supply can be traced from Buffalo to Fort Oswego, then down river to Utica, then Albany, and then to the supply source of New York: Full Supply. If Lake Ontario is controlled by the British, then Buffalo must trace overland to Geneva, then to Fort Oswego, then on as before. So the next sentence of the rules kicks in: "For Partial Supply, any other path will do, except Wilderness Trails." In order for Buffalo to be Unsupplied, the British must control both Lake Erie and Lake Ontario (to cut off water supply routes) AND control Geneva and the area between Buffalo and Presque Isle (or just the latter) to cut off overland supply. Not an easy thing to do. Essentially, you've got to be surrounded by the enemy (or in the western Wilderness) to be Unsupplied.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about my typo. Yes, I meant 7.1; I started typing an answer, then was rushed and distracted as I finished.

Many times I don't pay much attention to the supply status of an area as many Expeditions end up with 5 or fewer units. I don't think I've had one with more than 10. At least that's the "cheap" way of determining supply - just worry abou the number of troops in the Expedition in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Kevin - and thanks again, Paul.

I guess I didn't see in the rules that simple adjacency is as good as a Stage Road for supply - my bad. I understand it now, thanks.

As for Ithica, I do believe it was a typo on that map. I can't find any evidence that Ithaca was ever spelled that way. And, no, I haven't seen it in the background - my eyes are old, which is why it's hard for me to see the boundary lines and even make out what, in the map legend, a Wilderness Trail is supposed to be.

But I do thank you for putting Plymouth, NH, on the map, my home town. That's a rare event! And Lake Winnipesaukee - I'm going to build a Gunboat there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stage roads only help with movement (and for building ships at Sackett's Harbor) not supply. We used to have a level of supply between "Full" and "Partial" that involved stage roads, but dropped the idea. We couldn't figure out a name for it.

Here's a link to the web page where the background map is posted. You can zoom in and check out Ithica and Plymouth NH, and Lake Winnipesaukee (I've been there- but many years ago- many pleasant memories.)

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~22...:

(Run your mouse over the bottom area of the map- not the very bottom- and a scale pops up. Use that for zooming in on your favorite spots of the War of 1812!)

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo Radley
Australia
flag msg tools
haha. if you're having trouble seeing those, then forget the faint pink lines along borders that define 'states'. i didnt even realise until the 3rd game and was taking the state of new york to be exclusively just the new york area !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.