Subject: Several questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
Several of these questions are about specific cards, so I'll refer to their current names.

Is Sports Arena intended to include the current year? We guessed it didn't but weren't sure.

With cards that give 1 point, +1 point per __ up to max +5, is it correct that the max is not including the immediate point gain? It seemed like that was likely but we weren't positive.

In general, do cards count themselves? For example, if Restaurant is the only purple card you have, can you count it?

For Communications Beacon, is it measured by space distance or distance through locations? Similarly, for Docking Bay, does it count through space (as if you were placing on a grid) or shortest path through locations?

With the point per 2 coins racial, up to 5 points, can the player still cash in remaining coins (after the first 10) using the point per 3 coins rate, or are is the player only able to get maximum 5 points from coins?

The rules mention power reactors don't count as locations for the most locations tiebreaker or objective. Do they count as locations for other cards (such as docking bay, security station, life support systems...)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
No answers, but another question for the pile:

With the Racial Ability "Your Main Reactor counts as a location of every type":

It obviously works well with '+ points for every adjacent yellow location', type cards, BUT....

1) Does it work for the end of game objectives as well as during the game? And if so does it count as all types? Or any (one) type? If all types, it seems to help with 5 out of the 8 current objectives, which seems pretty powerful.

2) If your first card played was the Restaurant - would you automatically get the maximum points, as you have every type?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
contiguity wrote:
Several of these questions are about specific cards, so I'll refer to their current names.

Is Sports Arena intended to include the current year? We guessed it didn't but weren't sure.

No it doesn't.

Quote:
With cards that give 1 point, +1 point per __ up to max +5, is it correct that the max is not including the immediate point gain? It seemed like that was likely but we weren't positive.

You are correct here.

Quote:
In general, do cards count themselves? For example, if Restaurant is the only purple card you have, can you count it?

Yes, they count themselves.

Quote:
For Communications Beacon, is it measured by space distance or distance through locations? Similarly, for Docking Bay, does it count through space (as if you were placing on a grid) or shortest path through locations?

Shortest path through location, i think it is covered in the FAQ.

Quote:
With the point per 2 coins racial, up to 5 points, can the player still cash in remaining coins (after the first 10) using the point per 3 coins rate, or are is the player only able to get maximum 5 points from coins?

Actually this has never showed up in the playtest. Vaggelis should answer this but i think that your interpratation seems valid. Still, if oyu have so many credits, you did something wrong mate

Quote:
The rules mention power reactors don't count as locations for the most locations tiebreaker or objective. Do they count as locations for other cards (such as docking bay, security station, life support systems...)?

Yes they count. The rule is written on the objective so it should not be applied elsewhere. (otherwise Turbo docking bay/holo deck would not be a very good strat ).

I hope i helped. Still the final word is with Vaggelis, i am just a playtester who happens to play the game a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
No answers, but another question for the pile:

It obviously works well with '+ points for every adjacent yellow location', type cards, BUT....

1) Does it work for the end of game objectives as well as during the game? And if so does it count as all types? Or any (one) type? If all types, it seems to help with 5 out of the 8 current objectives, which seems pretty powerful.

2) If your first card played was the Restaurant - would you automatically get the maximum points, as you have every type?

Both yes and i may add that it also counts for the conflicts also. It counts as all types.

It is a very nice ability actually.

Make sure you get these restaurants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your questions.

Zinos covered most of them, but here's my take also:

contiguity wrote:

No, it doen't include the current year.
So, in the 1st year the bonus is +3, in the 2nd year +2 and in the 3rd year +1. No bonus if you play it in the final year.

contiguity wrote:

All the "MAX +X" you see on cards, apply only to bonuses given by the cards' abilities. They do not affect the immediate point gain, the one actually printed on the card.

contiguity wrote:

Yes, unless stated otherwise they count themselves. So, Restaurant indeed counts itself as a Recreational location.

contiguity wrote:

You always measure the distance through locations.

For example:

OOOOO
OOMOOOO
OOOOOOO
OOOOOOC
ODOOO

M = Main Reactor, D = Docking Bay, C = Communications Beacon

The locations between the Main Reactor and the Docking Bay are 3 in this example.

As for Communication Beacon its distance is 6 (it is the 6th location - it has 5 locations between itself and the Main Reactor)

contiguity wrote:

No, he can't. The maximum he can get from credits at the end is 5 points, even if you have more than 10 credits remaining.

Btw, as Zinos said it is to your advantage NOT to have that many credits remaining at the end.

contiguity wrote:

The Power Reactors are considered as locations. The only case in which you do not count them is where it is explicitly stated (in that Objective for example). In all other cases (like the Life Support location card) they count as normal.

superbgg wrote:

Yes, it counts as all types and it works both for end game objectives and during the game.

The fact that it helps you with a lot of the objectives is actually part of the bonus this racial ability gives you.

superbgg wrote:
Yeap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
avyssaleos wrote:

Yes, it counts as all types and it works both for end game objectives and during the game.

The fact that it helps you with a lot of the objectives is actually part of the bonus this racial ability gives you.

This means that an Opera House adjacent to a Power Plant belonging to the race with that ability (the Minireen?) is worth 6 points, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
It should count as 6 points, but keep in mind that racial only works on the Main Reactor, not on any reactor. So it's possible to surround your main reactor before you get the card if you're not careful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And a restaurant will get you max points also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Etoile du Jeu
France
flag msg tools
When I have 3 cards "Turret" in my station, how must I count the victory points at the end of the game ?

Shall I consider that every "Turret" gives 2 victory points ?

We played so, but I prefer to be sure !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear, each turret gives 2 vp because it is written on the card with the big number on the left which you score immediately and +1 vp for each other turret in your station at the end of the game. In your case with 3 turrets at the end you get 2 vp when you build a turret and 2 for each at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's as Zinos said. Each turret at the end of the game will give as many victory points as the rest of the turrets.

So, with 3 turrets, each of them will give 2 extra VPs at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Etoile du Jeu
France
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot !
It's clear now.

We played so :
- each turret gave 2 VPs when the card came in play ;
- at the end of the game, the player scored 6 additional points.

Some others answers about cards :

- Market place :
Each one of the chosen players gives you 2 credits.
Is it correct ?
(The word "combination" isn't clear for me when translated in French)

- Life support system :
At the end of the game, 19 locations were built in my station.
I earn 6 VPs. Okay ?
The rulebook says : "reactors count as locations (...)".
Shall I add the reactors to calculate the number of locations ?
In my exemple, I would have built 22 locations including reactors.

It's really a pleasant game with wonderful illustrations !
Congratulations !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid you played Market Place slightly wrong. You get a total of 2 credits out of the card. So you either get both from the same player, or 1 from each of 2 other players.

As for the Life Support System card, you add the reactors when you count them. As you said yourself, reactors count as locations so they should be included. In your case, with 22 locations you should get a total of 7 points out of it.

(One case where you don't count them is for the objective "Marvels in Space" but it is clearly stated that you don't include them)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Etoile du Jeu
France
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot !

A good reason to play once again tonight !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.