Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple questions. Aside from Russia, do all AP reinforcements and Replacements enter the board on London? Can't the French enter in Paris?

Also, is there a good explanation as to Redeploying Corps to and from the Reserve box? SR across the map makes sense, but I'm still fuzzy with how it works with the reserves.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Both reinforcement armies and replacement (rebuilt dead) armies enter at "any capital or supply source space in [the unit's] nation."

Thus:

BR - London
FR - Paris (or in Orleans if Paris is fully stacked)
IT - Rome
RU - Any of the four Russian supply source boxes. (Petrograd is the capital, but that turns out not to matter.)

GE - Essen, Breslau, or Berlin
AH - Vienna or Budapest
TU - Constantinople

For all of the above, both the capital and the space where the army will be built must be controlled by your side, in supply, and not occupied (besieged) by enemy forces. For Austria-Hungary, both Vienna and Budapest must be controlled by your side and in supply. [9.5.3.3]

Special cases:

BE - May build in Brussels, Antwerp, or Ostend, so long as that space (only) is Allied controlled and in supply. If all of Belgium is OOS and/or enemy controlled, may build in Calais. [17.1.5]

SB - Build in Belgrade or Salonika. (To build in Belgrade you must also control Nis. To build in Salonika you need not control any space except Salonika.) [17.1.5]

US - Build in any Allied controlled port space in France. [9.5.3.3]

Near East armies: (all non-replaceable)

MEF - Build (plus Beachhead marker) in any one of MEF1-MEF4.
CAU - Build in any supplied space in Russia on the Near East map.
NE - Build in Alexandria.
Orient - Build in Salonika.

NOTE: To take replacements (whether by rebuilding dead units or just flipping reduced units to full strength), the space must be able to trace supply to a source that is "good" for that unit (see below for the definition of "good" and "bad" supply). Of course this does not apply when rebuilding dead corps units, since they go to the reserve box (except the ANA corps, which doesn't need supply).

SR to and from the reserve box works like this:

* Only corps can go to the reserve box.

* Costs 1 SR point per corps. Unlike Ops activation, you need not pay for all units in a space, just the ones you are moving.

* Any corps unit on the map (except Russians outside Russia), which can trace supply to a "good" source, may go to the reserve box.

* To SR out of the reserve box, the unit must go to a capital or supply source space in its home country (which are mostly the same as the answers to "where do I build armies," above) OR onto a space where another unit of the exact same nationality is already present. The destination space must be owned by your side and must be able to trace supply to a "good" source for that unit.

* Each unit may only SR once per action round. Thus if you SR a corps into the reserve box, it can't come out again until a later action.

* Russian units may never SR to or from any space outside Russia.

* If a unit goes from the Near East to the reserve box or from the reserve box to the Near East, it counts as an SR into or out of the Near East for the purpose of the limits in [13.2].

"Good" and "bad" supply sources for each unit are defined as follows: [13.1.12 and 17.1.4.1 spell this out, but the terms "good" and "bad" are my own labels for what is said there.]

1. The ANA, MN, and SN corps do not need supply, so they are always considered to be in good supply. [14.1.5]

2. For Russian and Romanian units, good supply must come from any of the four supply source boxes in Russia. Supply from Belgrade is bad.

3. For Serbs, all allowed supply sources (Belgrade, Salonika, the four Russian sources, or just being in Serbia) are good.

4. All other Allied units draw supply only from London, which is good.

5. For German and Austrian units, supply from Essen or Breslau is good.
Supply from Sofia or Constantinople is bad.

6. For Bulgarian units, supply from Sofia is good. Supply from Essen, Breslau, or Constantinople is bad.

7. For Turkish units, supply from Constantinople is good. Supply from Essen, Breslau, or Sofia is bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might find this Teaching Guide helpful:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/26514/paths_of_glory_g...

For the most part, new Corps (whether from Reinforcements or Replacements) go into the Reserve Box, while new Armies go into the capital, or a home supply source.

Corps in the RB represent economic resilience of the country. By SRing corps out of the RB, you are spending economic resources to strengthen your on-board position. By SRing them back into the RB, you are weakening your on-board position to rebuild your economy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
lesulm1 wrote:
There are several exceptions and restrictions to these basic guides. Especially concerning the Near East map. They're all listed in section 13.

Let me point out, by way of amplification, that the SR "path" between the RB and the map only operates if the map space in question is one that can trace a path to a home supply source for that country. Thus, if the CP cannot trace supply from a German supply source to Turkey, then it cannot SR German corps into Turkey (this problem will come up if Germany gets a corps into Turkey and the path from German to Turkey is subsequently cut off.) This rule prevents the RB from being used as a "back door" route into the country in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Thanks for the detailed answers!

To clarify Corps options, I understand that I can SR a corps either TO the RB from the map, or FROM the RB to the map... Regarding the Corps in the "destroyed/eliminated" box, is a Replacement Point the only way to get a previously destroyed corps back onto either the map or the RB? (or do replaced corps only go into the RB?)

So if I have 2 RU replacement points, I could either:

1) Flip 2 RU reduced armies on the map to full strength
2) Take 2 reduced armies out of the eliminated box and place in a RU supply source
3) Take a RU army out of the eliminated box and place it full-strength on the map (supply source)
4) Take 2 RU corps out of the eliminated box and put into the RB?

If this is right, then having to spend RP on lowly little corps must be a desparate move to prevent your armies from being removed from the game if no corps are left in the RB!

Again, thanks for the clarity! This helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Snotwalker wrote:
Regarding the Corps in the "destroyed/eliminated" box, is a Replacement Point the only way to get a previously destroyed corps back onto either the map or the RB? (or do replaced corps only go into the RB?)

Yes; to RB only.

Snotwalker wrote:

2) Take 2 reduced armies out of the eliminated box and place in a RU supply source
3) Take a RU army out of the eliminated box and place it full-strength on the map (supply source)

Correct, full marks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snotwalker wrote:
If this is right, then having to spend RP on lowly little corps must be a desparate move to prevent your armies from being removed from the game if no corps are left in the RB!

Yes, but this happens sometimes if your forces are under heavy pressure. It can happen to all the major powers, and making decisions like, "should I as the AP try to pressure the GE or the AH forces" are critical, multi-turn decisions. GE gets a lot of corps at the start and via reinforcements, but when the ones in the RB finally start to run out, the CP had better find a way to address the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

You've left out a few possible combinations. Corps, like armies, can be rebuilt at either full or reduced strength, and can be flipped from reduced to full strength. The cost is half what it is for armies (and yes, it is legal to spend half an RP one place and half another, as long as it is for units of the correct nationality).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdgalt wrote:
Quote:

You've left out a few possible combinations. Corps, like armies, can be rebuilt at either full or reduced strength, and can be flipped from reduced to full strength. The cost is half what it is for armies (and yes, it is legal to spend half an RP one place and half another, as long as it is for units of the correct nationality).

Really? Where does it state that's legal to divide 1 RP into .5 and .5 for corps? That'd be useful if we can!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
The Rules wrote:
17.1.4 The different replacement options and their cost are given in Replacement Cost Table on the player aid cards.

The Replacement Cost Table includes the lines "Flip 1 reduced-strength Corps to full strength on the map and place one eliminated Corps at reduced strength in the Reserve Box" and "Flip 2 reduced-strength Corps to their full-strength side" (no mention of them being in the same space).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.