Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cubby KC
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I'm new to the Memoir 44 family, and it's disappointing to find out that so many things are out a print (guess coming late to the party sucks). My question is, how much am i missing out on without the "Air Pack", "Operation Overlord", and "Campaign Book Vol. 1". I know the game is designed for different expansions, and can be played without each expansions, but I don't want to miss out on some scenarios just because i don't have the "air pack", or can't use the Camp. Book 2, because i don't have Vol. 1. Just anyone's thoughts on the matter would be great. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
You honestly will be fine without those three expansions. Nothing from those three is needed for the scenarios in the various army pack expansions. (maybe a stray marker here and there, but easily substituted and some are reprinted in campaign book 2 and winter wars) Those are the ones you want to pick up.

Getting terrain pack, eastern front, pacific theater, mediteranean theater, breakthrough, desert/winter maps, campaign book 2 and winter wars and you will be able to play anything in the scenarios except overlord.

If you want to play overlord then you are best off buying two copies of the base game and two copies of the desert/winter map. Then if you are ok with subbing americans and germans for russians or british you can play any of the overlord scenarios. If you are a completist you would need two copies of mediteranean theater and eastern front, but those are still in print.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed.

You are not missing anything yet... There is a lot to play just in the base game and army expansions.

I owned the AirPack but have since sold it off... My personal opinion is "better to use someone else's if at all". I think DoW tortured and failed with the original air power concept so the rules/planes were never used.

I believe Overlord will be reprinted at some point... I hope so as I'd like a second OL deck of cards.
You will need a second base game to play Overlord.
Once you have the second base set you'll be able to play Overlord scenarios with old school rules.

It is a shame Campaign Book 1 is out of print... but that is the price for late admissions. You may one day be able to find it in PDF form... hopefully.

Welcome to the addiction...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dariusz M
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Most missing expansion of the game is Winter Wars. I blame myself I didn't buy it in the right time... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djedi gamer wrote:
Most missing expansion of the game is Winter Wars. I blame myself I didn't buy it in the right time... cry

Winter Wars is still in print and is available at DOW's online store.

The Overlord expansion isn't completely needed for Overlord format play, the format existed long before the useful expansion. Unless you are going to play Overlord style games a lot then you don't need this expansion.

The Air Pack is most useful if you want a alternate air combat rules (+ models), I like the rules but many players don't and don't use them. The Air Pack does come with updated, slightly changed, scenarios that were previously released in the base game and other expansions. If you are fine with the way the base game handles tactical air support, and most players are, then you don't need the Air Pack. It isn't really worth it for the scenarios and tiles alone.

The biggest out-of-print pain is Memoir '44: Campaign Book Volume 1. While I have it, I certainly hope it will be reprinted for the other Memoir'44 fans, Days of Wonder does reprint popular products and I can't see why they wouldn't reprint the book or at the very least put it up as a PDF. Maybe they are editing out the mistakes. The book's Campaign system and the Campaigns themselves are gaming awesomeness. While the first Campaign book has some errors it is still better than Book 2. Don't get me wrong Book 2 has great campaigns but for me Book 1's Normandy, France/Lowlands 1940, and the massive Russia'41 campaigns (50+ scenarios) make it by far the best Memoir'44 expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Op Overlord expansion is key to getting the most out of the game IMHO, but there is plenty in the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get some gray and green poker chips and use a single figure on top of them to show unit type. The number of poker chips is the unit strength.

Now, you have enough figures to play any of the games with no cardboard chits and you don't have to buy multiple copies of the games/expansions to have enough pieces to play any scenario.

You can also get really cool game pieces from HistoricalBoardgaming.com for not too much money and build up nation specific armies. They even have blue colored infantry for the French. There are early war tanks, late war tanks, halftracks, trucks, SPAs, tank destroyers, armored cars, heavy artilery, heavy anti-tank guns, amtracks, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Campiagn Book Vol. 1 and am puzzled why they would make it out of print. Anyone new to the game who likes Vol. 2 would surely get Vol.1 too.

The Air Pack came with a nice deck of cards that I am very happy to have but the planes and the rules for them never get played.

I love the idea of the poker chips for substitute figures. That would make everything less fiddly playing just the regular game too. I have avoided Overlord because of not wanting to double my investment and that seems like a great compromise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cubby KC
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone, feel better about missing out on some of the expansions(still gonna miss the Camp. Book Vol. 1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
opcubby wrote:
Thanks everyone, feel better about missing out on some of the expansions(still gonna miss the Camp. Book Vol. 1).
...also, this geeklist might help... Memoir '44 expansions and scenarios

It lists all the scenarios and what expansions are needed for each. The geeklist is based on research I did when trying to figure out what to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
opcubby wrote:
(guess coming late to the party sucks)...Just anyone's
thoughts on the matter would be great.

And that is what eBay is for. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Shabatowski
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with pretty much everything that has been posted so far. I too had concerns when I began my collection but there is enough in the base set to keep you going for a good 20 games or so before you question if you want to get expansions. The online resource from DOW is fantastic.

I wouldn't get too disappointed by the OOP stuff. I own Air Pack, have played it twice and plan to play it more now that I see the differences it brings to the battlefield but so few people use it that you wouldn't miss it. Campaign Book volume 1 is nice if you are planning a campaign but enough, again, online is available to keep you well occupied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody K
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
mb
I found the Campaign Book Vol 1 and Air Pack brand new by scouring a bunch of FLGS today (on foot, no less!)

I actually feel over the moon like this is the luckiest day of my life in the past two years (aside from meeting my girlfriend). I also bought up the eastern front and terrain packs to reward the FLGS even though they cost more than online. Now I have everything required...

I could be evil and sell them, but they're really just for me to play.

I live in Perth, Australia, which is a tiny city of 1-2 million, and only a very small handful of hobby and board game stores. Very, very few ... so if I could find it, there may be others out there. You just have to walk the pavement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Underwood
United Kingdom
Torquay
Devon
flag msg tools
Hi,

Paul Shabatowski,

If few people use their Air Pack Expansions (AEP), why aren't there more copies of the pack on sale on eBay?

I for one would love to own one and as a relative newbie (only had 2 copies of the base game and the Equipment Expansion for something like 18 months) I would investigate the With/Without AEP rules till I rarely need a rulebook anymore.

Price of the AEP has always been an issue for me as I rarely (if ever) have £100/$125+ to spend at any one time. However I've set my sights on the AEP and if any become available on eBay I will be bidding with the rest.

Regards,

Martin (PCofTQY)
Torquay, UK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
PCofTQY wrote:
Hi,

Paul Shabatowski,

If few people use their Air Pack Expansions (AEP), why aren't there more copies of the pack on sale on eBay?

I for one would love to own one and as a relative newbie (only had 2 copies of the base game and the Equipment Expansion for something like 18 months) I would investigate the With/Without AEP rules till I rarely need a rulebook anymore.

Price of the AEP has always been an issue for me as I rarely (if ever) have £100/$125+ to spend at any one time. However I've set my sights on the AEP and if any become available on eBay I will be bidding with the rest.

Regards,

Martin (PCofTQY)
Torquay, UK

Because the cards and the book are the most useful part of the expansion, not the air rules/airplanes themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the terrain tiles, badges and other tokens not air related are useful in fan created scenarios sometimes or its mixed in with all our other stuff. While I frequently criticize the air rules and rarely use them, I want a complete set of expansions and I will on occasion play with air rules, particularly if a scenario requires it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's seems rare that M44 fans will sell individual expansions that they don't enjoy or use as much, while keeping the game. So the best way to get the harder-to-find expansions seems to be when someone who is no longer an M44 fan is selling off their whole collection, wants to go the extra work of selling off their collection piecemeal, or when someone bought up someone else's whole collection and is then turning around and reselling it piecemeal.

Personally, I just have Eastern, Pacific, and Terrain, and along with online scenarios, I feel I have more than enough game for the time I have to play it (which is solo a lot). I think all but Terrain are regularly available at under MSRP. I do plan to pick up Med sometime, the other easy-to-get main expansion, but I'm not going to spend time or money hunting down other expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
As an air pack owner I might sell it but I got rid of the box years ago to fit all in my Plano. I also took the rulebook apart, hole punched it and put in a huge scenario binder. So it is too integrated to my whole collection and separating it doesn’t make much sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Asmodee not have plans for a reprint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whiskemuscles wrote:
Does Asmodee not have plans for a reprint?

Although Asmodee owns them, it would be Days if Wonder who would be doing a reprint, and they have no plans for a reprint. You can buy the scenario book in digital format from their web page but the rest of the components are not available unless you find a copy somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.