Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the nicer aspects of Dungeon Command are the start tiles. On the wilderness side, the Drow start tile depicts a cave mouth; the Cormyr start tile depicts a fortress gate. For the dungeon side, the Drow have come up a set of stairs leading deeper into the earth, and the Cormyr have a pair of open double-doors, with light streaming into them from outside. The art on the tiles - by the superlative Jason Engle - is wonderful.

This game was against Matt, and was my third game and his first. There will come a time when I get to play a person who has played the game before, but this hasn't happened yet. Learning the rules of the game? They're pretty easy, although there are a couple of rules (assist, cover) that take a bit more getting used to.

Strategy and Tactics? Yeah, they'll come - later!

I played the other Drow leader this time: Kalteras the Sellsword, who could draw order cards instead of increasing morale when treasure was found. He also has a massive 9 leadership - I played my entire creature hand to begin with and still had 2 leadership spare.

Matt had the Dwarf Cleric, Dwarven Defender and and Elf Archer. That Cleric and Defender combination was something I hadn't seen before - and was something I was worried about.

The initial combat took place on the Cormyr side of the map, with my spiders and Drow Blademaster moving in to eliminate the Dwarven Defender. It was a creature that could prevent a lot of damage, and getting rid of it was high on my list of priorities.

My reaction cards prevented most of the damage being dealt in return, but Matt played a Half-Orc Thug and began to move it in.

The Half-Orc Thug was enough to take out the two Spiders, and I began to fear the cleric - it has the ability to tap as an immediate action to remove 10 damage from itself or an adjacent ally. That actually means that it can heal in both my turn and in Matt's turn. So, I'd do 20 damage to it, and it would be completely healed by the time my turn came around again. I needed better monsters.

I got them - the Blademaster took out the Elf Archer, and I summoned my other Demonweb Spider and an Umber Hulk. Let's see what Matt could do with that!

Matt moved back his Cleric from base contact with the Blademaster and allowed his Thug to move up and hit it. A Halfling Sneak and the War Wizard then entered the battlefield. I was wanting more movement options, but that was the other Drow leader! Instead, I had to watch as my Blademaster fell to the Thug, as my creatures took entirely too long to reach the main combat.

I was down to four morale by this stage - dangerously low. Matt was still on thirteen!

My best option was to use the Umber Hulk to move Matt's creatures out of position. This I did - with the Thug being the first target - although I didn't expect Matt to use a Shove Aside to get my Umber Hulk out of the way, so he could more directly engage my weaker pieces. The only thing really saving me was that Matt's other creatures were still a little far away in the dungeon; the fight was now taking place much closer to my spawning grounds.

That closeness allowed me to overwhelm Matt's Half-Orc Thug and then his Halfling Sneak. The creature numbers turned in my favour - although I was still terribly low on Morale, and further loss would probably end my game. The Umber Hulk used its Burrow special ability to come up on the other side of the wall and confused the Dwarf Cleric enough to come within range of its claws.

Unfortunately, I couldn't kill it, and Matt moved it back - healing itself, and more adventurers came into the dungeon: another Dwarven Defender and the terrifying Earth Guardian.

My tactic to deal with this? Make sure I was out of range of the newcomers (both melee characters). If they couldn't move and attack in their first turn, I probably would be able to survive long enough to take some of them down. This worked well enough to take down both the War Wizard and the Elf Archer that Matt had on the table - the Dwarf Cleric just wouldn't die!

My morale remained on four; Matt's was now down to five.

Keeping away from Matt's creatures worked. Matt had another problem by now: he was out of cards, and so couldn't play any surprise defence cards to protect his creatures. A Copper Dragon hit the table, but it didn't get a chance to act before I was able to attack in force. Matt's lost his remaining morale, and Team Lolth was victorious - in an unexpected victory from behind.

It's hard to give a good look of how the card play affects the game, but it is a crucial part of this excellent game. Having a skirmish-style system that doesn't use dice? Inconceivable! However, here it is and it works really well. The order cards provide the unexpected, but due to the limitations of normally only being able to play one immediate action card per character, you can 'gang up' on creatures to put them out of action.

Well, most of the time. Defensive cards played by a creature's allies can really surprise you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Merric. Your sessions have really peaked my interest in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James S.
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Awesome!

How do the Copper Dragon's stats compare with the Umber Hulk? I'm trying to get a feel for how profound the graduations are between levels and whether or not creatures are basically all equally "powered" at a given level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsanner2 wrote:
Awesome!

How do the Copper Dragon's stats compare with the Umber Hulk? I'm trying to get a feel for how profound the graduations are between levels and whether or not creatures are basically all equally "powered" at a given level.

You should check out the threads that the OP created about the list of cards in each faction pack. I'll paste the link here for you:

Heart of Corymyr:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/828825/list-of-heart-of-corm...

Sting of Lolth:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/828819/sting-of-lolth-card-l...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the threads linked above:

Heart of Corymyr:
01/12 Copper Dragon; Str Int 6

Sting of Lolth:
12/12 Umber Hulk; Str Dex 5

Some noteworthy items:
- it seems that the Copper Dragon has a sufficiently high Level to be able to use every Order card that it satisfies the pre-reqs for
- it seems that the Umber Hulk has a sufficiently high Level to be able to use every Order card but 1 that it satisfies the pre-reqs for, namely Sneak Attack
- the Sting of Lolth faction pack does not appear to have a Level Up Order card, so I am unsure how the Sneak Attack is supposed to be used by any of the units

Note that I do not own the faction packs so I don't know if there are other requirements for these Order cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James S.
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Ah, thanks!

As for Sneak Attack being used in the SoL, if you read the rulebook (available here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/4dnd/gamedayru...), there is a bit about Assisting, which is a mechanic whereby creatures adjacent to the "acting" creature can tap to add their levels to that of the "acting creature." These creatures must also have the ability specified by the order card.

In this way, if an untapped Drow Whatever (DEX 1) is adjacent to the Umber Hulk (STR DEX 5), the Drow Whatever can tap to add its level to that of the Umber Hulk, thus allowing it to make the Sneak Attack.

What the rulebook doesn't resolve is how this affects the stack exactly, but I'm not sure that matters yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsanner2 wrote:
Ah, thanks!

As for Sneak Attack being used in the SoL, if you read the rulebook (available here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/4dnd/gamedayru...), there is a bit about Assisting, which is a mechanic whereby creatures adjacent to the "acting" creature can tap to add their levels to that of the "acting creature." These creatures must also have the ability specified by the order card.

In this way, if an untapped Drow Whatever (DEX 1) is adjacent to the Umber Hulk (STR DEX 5), the Drow Whatever can tap to add its level to that of the Umber Hulk, thus allowing it to make the Sneak Attack.

What the rulebook doesn't resolve is how this affects the stack exactly, but I'm not sure that matters yet.

Ah, of course! I haven't read the rulebook yet but I should have known there'd be a way to get that card into play. Thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Copper Dragon
Level 6, 120 HP
STR, INT.
Ranged 20 (5)
Melee 30
Flying
Acid Breath 20 (Whenever this creature makes a ranged attack, it deals 20 damage to each creature adjacent to the target).
Speed 7

Umber Hulk
Level 5, 100 HP
STR, DEX
Melee 30
Burrow
Confusion Gaze (Tap: As a standard action, choose 1 enemy creature within 5 squares and slide that creature 3 squares, then make a melee attack that deals (Melee) Damage)
Speed 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingjames01 wrote:
Ah, of course! I haven't read the rulebook yet but I should have known there'd be a way to get that card into play. Thanks for the info!

Sneak Attack
Standard
Level 6, Dex
Make a melee attack that deals 100 damage. Creatures you control that are adjacent to the target can assist with this action.

Note that Sneak Attack allows even more assisting than normal - creatures can be adjacent to the target, not just the user.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevin wrote:
Thanks Merric. Your sessions have really peaked my interest in the game.

My pleasure, Nevin. I do feel like I'm only looking at half the game, because I'm unable to build warbands without another player owning it!

The price of the game does worry me - although it's very reasonable for the components, it's still fairly high. As I'm also a very active player of D&D, the value is made much higher by the usefulness of the minis in my D&D games.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.