Scott Snyder
United States
Cockeysville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I will attempt to collate the mistakes I make in strategy while playing Next War: Korea in this thread. As I expect to make many stupid mistakes throughout several plays, this thread may span years. =P

For disclosures sake, I am playing this solitaire - as I play most games when learning the rules - and I must say that due to the lack of any hidden information it plays very smoothly when playing alone. Plus, that way when I make a rules error I only get upset at myself. (I've gotten into a few fistfights over rules, but I always seem to come out on top)

So, without further shenanigans, here's what I have compiled thus far:

1) As the US/ROK player, your first turn MUST include some strikes on the NK Scuds. I ignored the Scuds and went for the air defense net - great, except most of my birds were busy establishing air superiority anyways - and let me tell you that Scuds falling willy-nilly on the ROK's airbases and ports is NOT a good thing. Knock out Busan with a Scud and see how good your day goes as the US player...

2) The NK player's airforce will be lucky to even threaten the ROK airspace for two or three turns. In the tactical surprise scenario the US/ROK established air dominance in turn two and annihilated over half of the NK airplanes...handily, and with few casualties. (As I imagine it would be in real life) BUT the Scuds and SpecForce raids on airbases/fields will do some serious damage to the ROK/US airforce early on. Be warned! If you have reinforcements that are medium or long-range US planes that you intend to use only for strike or combat support, base them in Japan or on carriers initially, so that plane losses will be selected from the ROK air force. The ROK generally has less valuable planes than the Commonwealth or US, and most US and Commonwealth planes can defend the ROK from Japan.

3) Knock out those Scuds if you can. Scuds raining down on airbases will do more damage to your birds than the NK airforce can.

4) As the NK player one mistake I made was to mass all of those scattered formations down the main western highway approaching Seoul. I also was not as mindful of troop quality and utilizing troops where they get the most benefits; foot troops in the highlands, and armor in flat and rough terrain. You haven't lived until you build a stack of NK armor and mech inf units and then realize everything is halved.

5) The best way to Seoul is not where you'd think. Try to break the center of the ROK/US line, rather than going for the direct route. The ROK has its highest quality units at the gates of the city, whereas the central area is relatively lightly defended. There's your best chance at a breakthrough that will force the ROK to fall back. Once you have them out of the DMZ forts, you have 'em. (That two column shift is a bitch)

6) Related to number 5, be mindful of the massive impact column shifts and DRMs will have. Unlike some games, where attack and defense values are pretty absolute, there are so many shifts and variables involved in combat that some seemingly impossible odds can be beaten, and a 1-1 attack isn't always a lost cause. Take a long hard look at the modifiers!

7) As the DPRK, throw everything you have at the ROK on turn one. Yes, you will lose a lot of troops, and many of your insertions, SpecOps, and infiltrations will fail, but if you can manage to cut off or surround even ONE ROK position, you are in good shape. You are going to take casualties. Lots of them. If you were so squeamish you shouldn't have invaded South Korea in the first place...

8) Early on, while Scuds are still flying around, try to not concentrate any US/ROK helicopter units together. Spread them out, but still close enough to support.

9) As NK, I advise leaving at least a few Scuds unfired. It keeps the US/ROK from getting too comfortable and massing air units too much.

10) As US/ROK, throw some reinforcements at the central front. See number 5.

11) Air support rocks. A +6 modifier from that A-10 and Cobra support is an awesome thing, especially if the NK player rolls a 9.

Feel free to post your own!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I must have missed this post. It's all sound advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fawcett
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Items 7 and 9 seem to be contradicting each other...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.