Catan» Forums » General

Subject: Ok, tell me what i miss about settlers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to playy settlers quite a bit in late 90's, but i have to admit that i never played with an expansion (5-6 players i did) and don't really feel the need to do it.
Once in a while i see someone talking about strategy and beginners having a hard time the first few games.
So for me settlers is: Going for the right numbers, building a street and a village in the right spot.

I like settlers for the social and trading aspect, but i can't see any real strategy, which i can even see in Carcassonne.

So are the expansions adding soo much?

Edit: Perhaps this was asked before, but i didn't find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look for any Catan posting marked "strategy" and also Google "Settlers of Catan strategy". You'll fing lots there. This isn't chess but there's a lot going on other than just picking good starter spots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Baumgartner
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cities and Knights does add some strategy, and scenarios like Great Catan (using the Seafarers expansion) have additional elements of strategy by removing number chips from the starting island.

You can test these expansions without buying into all the expansions without knowing what you get by playing against the computer or on the online platform to see if they bring enough strategy to your game.

Personally, I only play just the basic game when I play with small children or absolute beginners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.